Username
Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 72 of 72
01:12 AM on 07/16/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you read any of the things I said? It's about raising awareness so that a better system can be used and they can begin to take back the inherent value of their songs.

People aren't buying CDs anymore really and you're not gonna convince the masses that if you want to listen to a cd you have to pay $10 for it. You can't stop the Internet; music is essentially free with a click. It's not a force that can be stopped. Things like spotify are helping to curb that, and as spotify grows the money artists make grows too.
02:35 AM on 07/16/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't say artists aren't getting "used." I said there is no profit. Spotify is not a public company; however, as I pointed out in this thread via a different link: they're not making any money. I don't know what your "friend" is telling you, but if he is really telling you that the company is making "ridiculous money" then that is news that virtually every single tech website would love to have, and I recommend you submit that information to them. If this source is correct, you literally, will be breaking news.

What's the point of the sarcasm? Your post was to envision a market change and what that would do for someone's livelihood -- I simply pointed out that it doesn't take much to look through history and see this is far from the first time it has (and will continue) to happen. The argument that it disrupts the current market is not, in my opinion, sound enough to put up road-blocks to innovation. We have historical evidence that supports that technology will prevail. You can't put the ketchup back in the bottle.

Royalties are not based upon song plays? I thought they were based upon an artist's relative popularity/streaming compared to the service as a whole?

The original statement was that there was "no information as to which artist got how many plays" -- which is untrue. If royalties are calculated based upon something other than plays of a song, I'm curious what they are being based upon. Spotify's documentation seems to disagree with your assertion.
In general, however, Spotify pays royalties in relation to an artist's popularity on the service. For example, we will pay out approximately 2% of our gross royalties for an artist whose music represents approximately 2% of what our users stream. A popular song or album can generate far more revenue for an artist over time than it historically would have from upfront unit sales.

I'm not sure how that's a solution when you talk about avoiding the "devaluation" of music? I can understand an argument about control, however, you have to weigh the pros and cons. Do you want to give up some amount of control to reach a larger audience or not. Even giving away your music for free -- for the majority of people -- they'll never find it. A centralized database of music offers greater discovery mechanisms than piece-meal "free" offerings from bands spread all around the internet.

There's no point in me replying, bcecause you've pegged me wrong and don't understand a lot of things. Read what Spotify themselves are saying. That's the truth and that's what my myriad of statements have said since '08.
04:56 AM on 07/16/13
Anthony Lutz
nextstoptheolympics.tumbl r.com
User Info.
I really don't use it except that it looks nicer on tumbler to post songs that way.
05:27 AM on 07/16/13
skyphoenix
One Among the Fence
User Info.
Don't see this move helping anyone.
07:36 AM on 07/16/13
dunkinsdonut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, don't agree with this at all. Spotify is such a good way to test albums out prior to purchase. Obviously, it can't be policed and people can't be forced to buy the vinyl/cd/digital or whatever after trying an album out, but for me, I'll always pick up the physical thing if I like the album enough after initial listens. Sure, there are some artists that I will purchase albums by blindly and he is one of them, but doing this is just a dumb, restricting move for no real logical reason. He isn't helping anyone by doing this and certainly isn't going to change anyone's mind.
So much this.
09:06 AM on 07/16/13
Spencer Control
Goddamn, I miss my dead friends
User Info.
Spotify does pay out ridiculously-small royalties. I use it to check out bands and then move towards purchasing their music and supporting them directly. Still, it's pretty much a rock and a hard place, because if Spotify didn't exist, most bands would probably be getting even less because of pirating.
10:49 AM on 07/16/13
NateThruman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Spotify is more of an alternative to the radio for finding new music. People shouldn't be using it expecting money.
I can see how you would think that, but it shouldn't be looked at the same way. Radio does not give a user access to an entire record collection, on-demand, whenever you want it. Apples to oranges.
05:01 PM on 07/16/13
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
I can see how you would think that, but it shouldn't be looked at the same way. Radio does not give a user access to an entire record collection, on-demand, whenever you want it. Apples to oranges.
I know that. I didn't say "Spotify is exactly like the radio".
06:51 PM on 07/16/13
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.

Artists and their works deserve respect. Saying that artists need to accept the fact that their works have (against their will) been turned into free promotional material for a tour that the person that stole it might not even show up to is part of a larger, self-entitled attitude that has kept people from realizing what a detriment illegal downloading is. I applaud these guys for taking a stand and I hope more artists follow suit.

Thank god someone on this site isn't a moron.
12:16 AM on 07/17/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
Thom has babies, nuff said
02:14 AM on 07/17/13
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
As bad as we all can feel for Thom and Nigel and fellow artists of the past and present and future, none of them are taking responsibility in their own hands for creating a model in which they can continue to create, release, and perform music while being financially comfortable. Until that day comes, when the grass is green on every side, when labels and licenses can be lucrative again, the fans can only sift through each and every useful option that "wholesomely" provides them with music.
02:14 PM on 07/18/13
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
As long as its legal I'll still stick with Spotify. I honestly don't have a very big budget for music (married with a kid) so the $10/month gets me a ton of music for a low price. I also find tons of artists on there I would have never heard about or listened to without it. I understand the revenue side of things but everything's going digital and I don't think boycotting these services is necessarily the answer.
Pretty much how I feel.

Right. As shitty as the situation is, I'd rather the artist get SOMETHING from my listening than nothing by illegally downloading.
I agree. This is much better than illegally downloading.

People aren't buying CDs anymore really and you're not gonna convince the masses that if you want to listen to a cd you have to pay $10 for it. You can't stop the Internet; music is essentially free with a click. It's not a force that can be stopped. Things like spotify are helping to curb that, and as spotify grows the money artists make grows too.

I agree. I would even be willing to pay another 5 bucks a month if the money went into supporting the artists more. I just can't see spending the amount of money on CDs that I used to.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos