Julia: Sykes is actually my surname. We were searching for a band name for ages and just couldn't decide on one. We had to tell this venue we were playing at what our name was for some flyers they were giving out, so we just went with it and it stuck.
2. How did this band get started?
Julia: Kris and I met 5 years ago at university in the UK and we started writing together pretty much straight away. We played loads of open mics and had several different SYKES line ups before moving down to London to play more shows.
Kris: When we moved to London we started jamming with Will and Dre. We both knew Will from university and I went to school with Dre so we gelled immediately.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Will: Well, growing up we were all inspired by different genres which I think this is a contributing factor to our sound. Dre is heavily inspired by blues, soul and funk. He is a huge Stevie Wonder fan. Julia is a huge fan of John Mayer, Jason Mraz and The Beatles to name a few. Kristian and I are heavily influenced by Indie guitar bands such as Bombay Bicycle club, The White Stripes, The Strokes and Radiohead.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Kris: It would have to be the Stones. I read Keith Richards biography recently and they had the craziest adventures.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Dre: The local delicacy of the town you are playing in.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Julia: I guess we only ever write songs that we love to listen to and love playing live. So if other people like it as well then thatís a bonus.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Will: Iíd switch places with Jessica Ennis... I want to know what it feels like to have a 6 pack like hers...
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Kris: Dreís mum...
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Julia: Itíd be a great place if it was only about the music. Unfortunately like any business, a lot of it is about who you know.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Kris: I loved playing at The Natural History Museum in London....playing in front of over 500 people and a dinosaur!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Will: Itís a great place for us to discover new bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Kris: At the moment our single Out Of Your Hands... But we love playing the newest song weíve written. Thereís something about trying a brand new song out live for the first time.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Julia: Definitely Brazil for me... Iím half Brazilian, itís such a fun place to go.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Julia: Anything by Alanis Morissette... or the Backstreet Boys...
Kris: Spice Girls!
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Kris: The ability to summon any musical instrument at any time... The amount of times weíve been at parties and in need of a guitar...
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Dre: Will picks his nose with his drum sticks.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Dre: Most fans donít know that we always record our songs naked...
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Julia: Absolutely! We like to think our songs are radio friendly... We love listening to the radio, especially the late shows as they normally feature new artists.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Kris: We are all quite competitive in the band so anything from table tennis to Mario Kart.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Julia: Will can flick his throat and make it sound identical to a drop of water!