AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Here, Hear - 07.18.13

Interviewed by
Here, Hear - 07.18.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Here, Hear

herehearky.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

It's the title of La Dispute's series of spoken word albums.

2. How did this band get started?

A few years ago I tried starting a band with some other guys and one by one they just stop putting forth effort and gave up, so I decided to go solo. I got booked on a local show, and liked how it went so I just kept on with it.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

A lot. The Smiths, Defeater, The Brand New, Mansions, Into It. Over It., American Football, Taking Back Sunday, Fall Out Boy, Weezer, La Dispute. Just tons and tons.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I mean, bands that would make since for me to tour with would be I Can Make A Mess (Ace Enders' acoustic project), Mansions, Into It. Over It., Anthony Raneri, and other acoustic acts kind of in the whole pop/punk scene I guess. If I could just tour with my favorites though, it would be like Have Heart, Defeater, Verse, More Than Life, Bane, and that kind of thing or like, The Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, The Wonder Years, Joy Division and The Smiths.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Wafflehouse. Hands down.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I try my best to put as much of myself into a record as I can. I want it to be personal and vulnerable and I really hope to help people going through hard times by giving them someone to relate to and not feel alone. Plus. I write tasty jams.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I'd have to say either Messi, because he's going to be a legend, or D. Rose just because he's D. Rose.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Satan.
But not really. I'd thank all my friends and local bands and labels who actually supported me way before anyone else. If it wasn't for them I would probably not still be playing music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd like for the bands with actual talent and heart to make more money, just to be able to go through a tour without worrying it could be your last. I heard a story once that The Wonder Years almost didn't make it when they went to Cali because they had no money and relied solely on merch sales to even eat. That's terrible, and I hate it.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I was playing a show in front of like, seven people because everyone left before my set and so for half of my set I just did stand up instead of playing music.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I think the website is awesome, and I think the opportunities it gives smaller bands like me is just huge. The website does a lot for the music scene.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Cover: BTM FDR by the Acacia Strain. I play it on acoustic, when people in the crowd piss me off. It get's their attention when you're singing the lyric, "Time to suck today's dick, hope you choke on it"

Original: For a long time my favorite song to play was Waves of a Dead Sea because it has a riff in there that's just fun to play. Now my favorite to play is The John Hughes Blues, just because I love the song and what it means to me.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

If I'm staying in this country, I love San Diego. The atmosphere and the beaches, it's just amazing. If I'm going out of the country, either Amsterdam or just anywhere with a beautiful beach. We don't have beaches here in Kentucky.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

The good ol days. Blink 182, Sum 41, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, Rage Against the Machine, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I wouldn't want a super power. I just want to be Batman. I'm obsessed with Batman to an unhealthy point.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I don't practice. I'll warm up sometimes, but I usually just don't practice the whole day. For a while there, it seemed like a pre-show curse that my high e string would snap because it happened a few times for any band I was in.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm a 17 year old solo act with no backing or help, just me doing everything. Little Heart Records here in Louisville has helped a lot though as far as booking shows and helpful advice, although I'm not signed to their label.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I feel like the radio, and no offense to the majority of people, is for low-attention span persons who don't care to look into the music. They just want something catchy. As long as the radio's playing one of my catchier songs I could do alright but I genuinely despise mainstream radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I'm a huge film guy. I write screenplays, and at one point wanted to go to film school. I have a huge collection of movies, the biggest section being horror. If I'm not hanging out with friends doing teenager activities, I'm at home watching movies and writing.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I'm really good at pooping.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums