AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Panic At the Disco News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Panic! At The Disco Talk About New Record

Posted by - 07:40 PM on 07/22/13
Panic! At The Disco talk about their new record with MTV.
"It's similar in that it's eclectic;" he told MTV News. "But this time around, the songs are pretty different. One song sounds like it could be an '80s, Depeche Mode type deal, another sounds like a mix of a Toto drum part with, like, weird arena-rock guitars. There were a lot of things I was pulling from; I listened to a lot of hip hop actually, like A$AP Rocky ... all the new stuff that's coming out was blowing my mind.

"Hip hop is doing the new rock thing; there are no rules," he continued. "They can do anything, really. And that's inspiring."

And, in a telling nod to those hip-hop influences, Too Rare also sees a shift away from the guitar-and-piano based songs Urie wrote for Vices & Virtues to new, electronic-inspired tunes, written primarily on synthesizers and keyboards.

"I wanted to get away from a lot of the stuff I did on Vices & Virtues, and try these new toys that we only kind of messed with on the last record," Urie explained. "I was using a lot more stuff in Logic, or if I had a lyric, trying to find a synth sound that would match that. A lot of it was experimenting with new synthesizers that I didn't know where they'd take the song."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
07:43 PM on 07/22/13
VoliminalX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He might as well have said "We're going to try to ride Fall out Boy's wave as much as we can right now."
07:44 PM on 07/22/13
xdrummerxdudex
i am a legend
User Info.
I'm actually looking forward to the new album. Vices & Virtues took awhile but it grew on me so I have great expectations for this one.
07:46 PM on 07/22/13
Niko John
Space Cowboy
User Info.
Am I the only one that thinks that Panic! is becoming more of a solo project for Brendan, and Spencer is being pushed to the side?
07:47 PM on 07/22/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
aaaaand here come the obnoxious FOB comparisons.
07:51 PM on 07/22/13
jimmyiscool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Where the fuck is Ryan Ross these days?
07:59 PM on 07/22/13
ShapingThings
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that's my question as well. Pretty Odd was a fantastic record, easily the best and only real thing this outfit has ever put out. That new single suuuuuckkkkss.
07:59 PM on 07/22/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Where the fuck is Ryan Ross these days?
hasn't really released anything since the Young Veins album came out.
08:03 PM on 07/22/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Very interested in how this will turn out
08:15 PM on 07/22/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
that's my question as well. Pretty Odd was a fantastic record, easily the best and only real thing this outfit has ever put out. That new single suuuuuckkkkss.
Word. That album is incredibly underrated.
08:18 PM on 07/22/13
bradthoc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Loved it. Pretty. Odd, that is...
08:23 PM on 07/22/13
suppyguppy
User Info.

This. Were probably in the minority but that record is the only thing this band has done that has had any lasting value with me.
08:25 PM on 07/22/13
tjdohner21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Vices and virtues was the direction they should have stuck with. A little annoyed now after hearing the first song and this interview. He's got way too much talent with his voice and musicianship to be drowning it with these "new toys" as he did with the new song. Just my opinion tho.
08:31 PM on 07/22/13
tdlyon
Set phasers to love me
User Info.
This will be poppy as fuck.
08:37 PM on 07/22/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I think this album is gonna be a production wet dream. Sounds like there's gonna be some awesome tones with those synths, plus the reliability of Butch Walker's sound.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos