|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
The Farewell Circuit - 07.23.13
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
The Farewell Circuit
1. How did you get your band name?
After what seems like years of going through emo band names like: Sunsets & Shorelines and Paperback Romance, we decided to seek inspiration from a movie guide. We paired the film names of “Short Circuit” and “Farewell Blue China” to come up with The Farewell Circuit.
2. How did this band get started?
The band was originally formed in Milwaukee, WI with Danny and a few friends from high school. After jamming for a summer during college the band was formed and has been trucking along, with one line-up or another. (Danny is the only remaining original member).
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Dave Bazan, The National, The Acorn, Modest Mouse, Mark Kozelek, Other Lives, Low, Cloud Cult, Ryan Adams, Tom Petty, Radiohead, The Beatles
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Past -Motley Crüe and Ozzy circa '84 cause we’ve always wanted to snort ants in a socially acceptable setting.
Present – Oh boy, we’d love to tour with any of the bands from the previous question, but to name a few specifically: Cloud Cult, Low, The National
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Depends on the state. For instance in WI, cheese curds and Spotted Cow are mandatory, therefore the best. But our default method would be to find the place with the best beer list and go from there. If the initial method fails us, we look for the most hole-in-the-wall type joint around.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Danny - People should listen to our band because, it’s fun to watch/listen to people pursuing their passion (and we don’t suck), even if you don’t necessarily dig (we think you will), it’s great to see people do what they love (hopefully, you love what we do).
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
DJ - I'd easily go for Adrian Peterson. Stand up human being with super human talent.
Danny - Aaron Rodgers
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Danny – I’ve never thought about this. I suppose we would thank our friends, family and fans. We might sneak out a “thanks” to my 89 yr old neighbor Ellie for being the best human being on the planet.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Danny – Not really sure, it’s seems to be quite the mess at the moment. We just try to avoid the “business” side of things and do what we’re best at, writing/playing music.
10. Memorable tour experience?
An '07 Midwestern tour found us playing in an abandoned school. And the gymnasium was like a pump organ purgatory. We snuck down and played some creepy songs until a janitor chased us all around the dark school.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Danny – For years, AP was my main method for finding new and interesting music, so thanks for that!
12. What is your favorite song to play?
DJ – “From the Sun”
Danny – “Years of Youth”
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
DJ - North Shore on Lake Superior
Danny – Gull Lake, MN with the family
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
DJ – Cat Stevens
Danny – Nirvana, Bush, Larry Norman, DC Talk
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Danny – shape-shifting, because it’s awesome.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
DJ - I ritualistically send Bell's Two Hearted down my gullet.
Danny – Push-ups and quiet time
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
DJ - I played professional hockey in my younger years. Bridging the gap between jock and musician is rather uncommon it seems.
Danny – I have 12 siblings, my family did foster care and adoption when I was younger. My family was/is ever growing and changing and more and more diverse each time I visit them.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
DJ – I don’t spend much time considering it, I guess. I don't know if it would... doing this job for 10 years has made me realize you can't predict the path of success of any of it, so you better just do what it is that you do, and hope someone pays attention to it.
Danny – I agree with DJ, do what you love to do. If the radio or some other medium for listening to music gives you the light of day, then great, if not, keep on truckin’
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
DJ - Bicycle rides, reading, hanging with friends, hiking.
Danny – Family time, exercising, reading, gardening and enjoying a meal with friends.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Danny – I have a pretty green thumb.
More From This Author