AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Cambridge Post New Song

Posted by - 02:26 AM on 07/24/13
Cambridge's new song, "Hit and Run," can be heard in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
02:27 AM on 07/24/13
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
03:21 AM on 07/24/13
loopyb92
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so solid
06:31 AM on 07/24/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
production's great, but I've never really been into this type of power-pop-punk that throws in hardcore guitar stylings. At this point, it's almost probably to the level of a pet-peeve that I could never buy into, regardless of the band

Even on the opening track of Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree (an album which I love), those hardcore chugs make me squirm a lil bit
06:32 AM on 07/24/13
theherox
User Info.
woah. props to them for the key change!

key changes are so under-utilized these days
06:50 AM on 07/24/13
SkullsSkulls
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
woah. props to them for the key change!

key changes are so under-utilized these days

Lol, I was just about to post about the key change and how lame it was! I can't really get down with it in this song. Key changes aren't the worst thing that can happen in a song, but like you and the chugging, key changes make we squirm a bit. They're hard to pull off IMO.
07:32 AM on 07/24/13
theherox
User Info.
Lol, I was just about to post about the key change and how lame it was! I can't really get down with it in this song. Key changes aren't the worst thing that can happen in a song, but like you and the chugging, key changes make we squirm a bit. They're hard to pull off IMO.
I'm listening to it again right now. you're right, it's not too good here. I was raised on Barry Manilow though, so it's still refreshing to hear them in any sense, as bad as they often are.

I write key changes into most of my songs, but I hate the style where, "Hey, let's just bump the last chorus up a step!" I prefer progressive key changes where they're all over the place, like there's a key change going into the chorus and another key change coming out of the chorus to return to the verse key, stuff like that. Basically like Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl," that song executes a buttload of key changes perfectly all throughout the song

Are you a fan of the Reign of Kindo? IMO they write the smoothest key changes in the business today, and some of them CONTINUE to give me chills, even years after the fact, like this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkt3Wu1UiQ
07:53 AM on 07/24/13
SkullsSkulls
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm listening to it again right now. you're right, it's not too good here. I was raised on Barry Manilow though, so it's still refreshing to hear them in any sense, as bad as they often are.

I write key changes into most of my songs, but I hate the style where, "Hey, let's just bump the last chorus up a step!" I prefer progressive key changes where they're all over the place, like there's a key change going into the chorus and another key change coming out of the chorus to return to the verse key, stuff like that. Basically like Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl," that song executes a buttload of key changes perfectly all throughout the song

Are you a fan of the Reign of Kindo? IMO they write the smoothest key changes in the business today, and some of them CONTINUE to give me chills, even years after the fact, like this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkt3Wu1UiQ

I'm a big Beatles fan, and they've utilized the key change a few times as well! It also just reminds me of 80's hair metal, which can be either good or horrible!

I've actually been referred to Reign of Kindo a few times recently and just checked out the song "Romancing A Stranger" that was posted yesterday. Needless to say I was impressed with them. I will check out the song you've posted as well. I'm definitely all about the random key change, and one that isn't always the octave change. More so than key changes, I'm all about tempo changes in songs. Any albums/EP you recommend I start out with for ROK?
08:06 AM on 07/24/13
theherox
User Info.
I'm a big Beatles fan, and they've utilized the key change a few times as well! It also just reminds me of 80's hair metal, which can be either good or horrible!

I've actually been referred to Reign of Kindo a few times recently and just checked out the song "Romancing A Stranger" that was posted yesterday. Needless to say I was impressed with them. I will check out the song you've posted as well. I'm definitely all about the random key change, and one that isn't always the octave change. More so than key changes, I'm all about tempo changes in songs. Any albums/EP you recommend I start out with for ROK?
oh yeah, definitely start with their full-length debut, Rhythm Chord & Melody. Maybe listen to "Needle and Thread" first, from their debut EP, and then the full length. It's their most rock-band like record. And it's a really varied album, but it's still all stylistically cut from the same cloth, so it's pretty much like, "if you like one song, you like them all."

Their second album This is What Happens is even better, but I wanted to start there because it's more jazzy and more challenging. There are a lot of songs on this album that took me months to finally get into. "Romancing a Stranger" is from their brand new album, which I haven't listened to all the way yet, but it's their jazziest stuff yet. I don't think many rock fans would be able to get into Kindo as well if they started with the new album

I love tempo and time signature stuff, too. I'm getting thrown into that because I just recently became fans of bands like Between the Buried and Me and August Burns Red. I love how Thrice incorporated 5/4 stuff throughout their career. I also just recently realized that Mae have been doing crazy time signature stuff throughout their whole career, but they would usually do it soooooo subtly that I never noticed! The singer of Mae also has a new band Schematic, that has some really inventive stuff all throughout, especially on the song "Where's the Soul?".
12:56 PM on 07/24/13
Demilition
demicambridge.com
User Info.
I like key changes in songs but this is just a little bit of an awkward change. Almost like a bit "kitchy."
02:01 AM on 07/29/13
ThePoison69
Hero For Hire
User Info.
I'm so crazy excited for Cambridge's debut album..... I was heartbroken and devastated when Brad left Heroes For Hire but it was a blessing in disguise - HFH still sound awesome and Cambridge are showing massive potential. Two bands for the price of one! This song sounds wicked, his voice is so powerful. The key change was epic too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos