03:25 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
05:32 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Still can't stand this song and the performance wasn't great (contained my main obstacle with the band to a high degree - the over-emphasised accent...and I'm a Brit) but after checking out their set at Latitude I'm definitely more of a fan and wish they'd played "Sex".
08:13 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
I agree about the performance but what about the song do you not like?
The vocals mainly, the music is great. But i'm slowly coming around with the more I hear them, it's just "Chocolate" that I mainly can't get on with and really dislike.
You'll probably be happy to know the accent is getting dulled down for the album. They re-released Sex the other week and the accent is definitely less prominent, sorta how YMAS changed theirs to be less British from the demos to the first album. Personally I prefer the stronger accent in The 1975s case I think it works well.
Yeah that's what made them start to click more for me, I prefer the "sound" of the original version but his voice is better on the new version. Plus seeing them live at the weekend helped. I'm getting there haha. I usually hate people who try to like a band, if it's not for you...it's not for you. But part of me really likes what's going on here and another part doesn't, so I'm just trying to let the good parts take over.
09:13 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
do you like we were promised jetpacks and/or other bands where you can hear the accent while they sing?
No not at all, it's not the fact he has an accent as he's basically where I'm from, it's the fact that it sounds like he's emphasising it a lot, kind of like The Kooks did. Like over playing it. I'm super picky with vocals, so I'm aware it's just a tiny niggle to most people but it can really get in the way of things for me. Like I said though, the more I listen to other tracks/versions of tracks/see them live...the more I'm "adjusting" the one thing that bothers me about them.
02:57 PM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
No way all their other songs are very indie and unradio-friendly. Chocolate sounds like a britney spears b-side
It seems to be only us Brits notice it from reading similar responses to mine, actually.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos