This Charming Man
User Info.
This is a music website god dammit
Nice observation..
08:24 AM on 07/24/13
bonkers bonkers
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't know why everyone likes sex so much, personally I prefer chocolate...
this is great haha. pun-tastic!
08:45 AM on 07/24/13
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
User Info.
Personally I prefer the stronger accent in The 1975s case I think it works well.

I agree. I like when I listen to bands from the UK and I have to try really hard to understand what they're saying. We get our ears too used to North American accents IMO
08:52 AM on 07/24/13
rbf737
User Info.
Chocolate was so much better when I saw them play it live and in other performances I've seen live online. Sex would've been a better choice but can't wait for the new record.
09:08 AM on 07/24/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I just want "Sex" to blow up. Awesome they're getting so big though.
09:13 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
I agree about the performance but what about the song do you not like?
The vocals mainly, the music is great. But i'm slowly coming around with the more I hear them, it's just "Chocolate" that I mainly can't get on with and really dislike.
You'll probably be happy to know the accent is getting dulled down for the album. They re-released Sex the other week and the accent is definitely less prominent, sorta how YMAS changed theirs to be less British from the demos to the first album. Personally I prefer the stronger accent in The 1975s case I think it works well.
Yeah that's what made them start to click more for me, I prefer the "sound" of the original version but his voice is better on the new version. Plus seeing them live at the weekend helped. I'm getting there haha. I usually hate people who try to like a band, if it's not for you...it's not for you. But part of me really likes what's going on here and another part doesn't, so I'm just trying to let the good parts take over.
09:13 AM on 07/24/13
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
I love this song, and I really like his voice, but man, that was pitchy almost to the point of being unlistenable. Might be an album-only kind of band for me, I guess.

Edit: The bridge sounded a bit better with all the harmonies.
09:33 AM on 07/24/13
CharlieCrap
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't get over how good their drummer and bassist are.
10:10 AM on 07/24/13
sjb2k1
6-5, still in it baby!
User Info.
Still can't stand this song and the performance wasn't great (contained my main obstacle with the band to a high degree - the over-emphasised accent...and I'm a Brit) but after checking out their set at Latitude I'm definitely more of a fan and wish they'd played "Sex".
do you like we were promised jetpacks and/or other bands where you can hear the accent while they sing?
10:13 AM on 07/24/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
do you like we were promised jetpacks and/or other bands where you can hear the accent while they sing?
No not at all, it's not the fact he has an accent as he's basically where I'm from, it's the fact that it sounds like he's emphasising it a lot, kind of like The Kooks did. Like over playing it. I'm super picky with vocals, so I'm aware it's just a tiny niggle to most people but it can really get in the way of things for me. Like I said though, the more I listen to other tracks/versions of tracks/see them live...the more I'm "adjusting" the one thing that bothers me about them.
10:25 AM on 07/24/13
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I do love these guys, but this performance more than most his voice/accent is real weird. I've seen them live and it didn't bother me, but he sort of sounds a bit drugged up or something on this. There's a 'shred' of them doing Chocolate and it actually isn't far off at times haha. Like Kyle said, it's a very emphasised accent, to the point where at times he can be a bit offputting, but I actually think on record it's not an issue. Only live does it sound a bit much.

I always get real excited seeing UK bands on Conan though. I love Conan and I'm from the UK - if I was in a band getting on Conan would be when I know I've made it ha.
11:11 AM on 07/24/13
sjb2k1
6-5, still in it baby!
User Info.
No not at all, it's not the fact he has an accent as he's basically where I'm from, it's the fact that it sounds like he's emphasising it a lot, kind of like The Kooks did. Like over playing it. I'm super picky with vocals, so I'm aware it's just a tiny niggle to most people but it can really get in the way of things for me. Like I said though, the more I listen to other tracks/versions of tracks/see them live...the more I'm "adjusting" the one thing that bothers me about them.
gotcha. my only issue is that sometimes i just cannot understand him and i swear he leaves out parts of the words haha
11:39 AM on 07/24/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Could have been better. If they don't release "Sex" in the US in the near future, it's a big mistake. I can't see that happening though, Vagrant has to know how much play that song would get.
12:40 PM on 07/24/13
WhaleSnake
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this band but i really dont like chocolate. Besides the lyrics the song sounds like something the spice girls would sing. Luckily its their only poppy song, i wish theyed release some others already.
02:05 PM on 07/24/13
FTeric
Somewhere, something...
User Info.
I love this band but i really dont like chocolate. Besides the lyrics the song sounds like something the spice girls would sing. Luckily its their only poppy song, i wish theyed release some others already.
Their only poppy song? Most everything I've heard of them has pop radio written all over it haha. Not complaining at all either, I'm into everything they've put out thus far.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos