Stop liking things.
User Info.
...everything about it.

Way to be specific.
12:42 PM on 07/25/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing it altogether.
12:42 PM on 07/25/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Hmmm...this will be a grower for me i think.
12:43 PM on 07/25/13
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Bummer the three best songs on the album were released first
Feel like TDS songs are always better when you listen to the whole album anyway. That being said, I'm definitely not overplaying any of these songs right now.
12:44 PM on 07/25/13
hiya
User Info.
this is great.
12:45 PM on 07/25/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I'm sorry, I think his vocals sound pretty terrible in this faux-grunge kinda thing, I appreciate trying a new vocal style but I just really don't think its a good sound
12:46 PM on 07/25/13
radashlee
User Info.
this is beautiful....I thought AP hated TDS and would never cover their news again?
12:48 PM on 07/25/13
BrendanMachow
User Info.
Any tracks with a similar feel? I know that's broad considering it's a pop rock record but figured I'd ask.
12:48 PM on 07/25/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
the lyrics, the vocals, the song progression, aj himself. is that any better, because that's still everything, but mostly aj.
12:50 PM on 07/25/13
sjb2k1
User Info.
this is beautiful....I thought AP hated TDS and would never cover their news again?
and yet...here we are.
12:52 PM on 07/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I don't dislike this band, I've just been greatly disappointed in them in the past so I've been very weary of them. and you're right, I don't know what the personal meaning behind it is, but this song makes me not want to care at all. the band has been singing all too similar tunes for a while now and it's getting very tiring.

look at eminem, sure his new albums are meaningful to him and I don't know what they're all about because to me, eminem's music hasn't progressed in any way and/or lacks anything interesting (i.e. he's a one-trick pony that refuses to learn new tricks that are anything worthwhile). same thing with this band, I really can't care about the meaningfulness of their new songs like I did with northern lights or permanent rain because they don't sound like they're going anywhere with their music. and I don't care how meaningful this song is because I don't care about the song itself - the instruments, the aesthetic, the histrionic singing that sounds forced.

I'll use anberlin's *fin as an example, sure the song is incredibly significant to the band/singer, detailing the singer's personal experience and struggle with religious convictions, etc. and now say that I didn't care for the song at all (which I do, just using this as an example), are you going to expect me to care about any of that? you shouldn't. and you should definitely expect me to think he's being overdramatic in his impromptu outro.
Fair enough, thank you for providing a more in-depth explanation. I personally don't think it's worth trying to judge a piece of art if you don't care about it and you're not willing to invest anything in it, but I understand that you want this band to progress and, since they haven't done that, you have a hard time getting past the surface of the music to appreciate what's underneath.

That said, I am genuinely surprised that you think "Northern Lights" and "Permanent Rain" were the sound of aband going somewhere when the later material lets you down so much. For all my love of Reach for the Sun, it's a pretty one-note affair from a musical standpoint. The layers in those songs peel away because of the lyrical content and AJ's emotional delivery, the very things you are rejecting here. I can understand there being a law of diminishing returns for something like that when it's done repeatedly, and maybe you were in a place when you first heard those songs that made them really resonate with you, whereas it all feels kind of hollow now, but I still think it's weird that you no longer care about a band that, I gather, once actually meant something to you.
12:53 PM on 07/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Any tracks with a similar feel? I know that's broad considering it's a pop rock record but figured I'd ask.
Most similar song for me is probably "Anchor," just because both of them feel really grandiose and optimistic. I bet you'll dig "We Will Wait in the Fog" too, though. And "Honesty," the song they premiered in acoustic form last week, completes the centerpiece trio.
01:00 PM on 07/25/13
Greg
User Info.
eh, it's not doing anything for me. I don't hate it or anything. I mean, it's not that different from a lot of their other stuff. but the song loses me between the 2-3 minutes mark. I started listening once on my phone and lost interest and decided to wait until I had lyrics to read with it as I listened. I just relistened now and while I got through the whole song, I wanted to move on just a bit more past where I had the last time.

I def enjoyed Catholic Girls and Sins far more on my initial listen. we'll see if it does anything for me in the context of the album.
01:01 PM on 07/25/13
Siren
asdf
User Info.
I love this band a lot. Plain and simple.
01:06 PM on 07/25/13
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
yes
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music