Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts.
03:38 PM on 07/26/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These two records + The Changing Of Times is the Underoath that I wished we'd still have today...don't get me wrong I loved the releases after, they just weren't as powerful or as punishing as these two were. Disambiguation was close, but it was still different with Spencer, not at all bad, but not what I missed with Taylor at the helm.
12:37 AM on 07/27/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you kinda expect some level of preachy crap with underoath, but these two albums were unbearable.

also, I've never seen them referred to as EPs....
Thematically Act of Depression dealt with the hatred of horrific acts such as rape, murder, and suicide. Cries of The Past dealt a lot with love, loss, and death.

They're both as preachy as any other Underoath album. What would you expect? It's a Christian metal band comprised only of devout Christian band members as it always was. Look at Disambiguation, it's like a testament to Spencer's recovery from various afflictions like his drug problem, and how his faith helped to guide him.

I could see it if you didn't like the execution of these two releases, but keep in mind their ages at the time. Pretty sure Aaron was 16. Dallas was 19. Not sure about Octavio or Corey Steger. It's no surprise the lyrical content wasn't as well executed as on later releases. The musicianship on these albums is totally remarkable, given their age and experience.

To say it's unbearable because of a level of preachy lyrical content not found on their other albums is a stretch. Act of Depression has two songs that give you an argument, Burden In Your Hand and Spirit of The Living God are awfully preachy. Set them aside and both albums are a black metal version of normal Underoath material in my opinion.
11:28 AM on 07/27/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not even sure what you're arguing. My post acknowledged that religious themes are present in most their music. I'm even a fan of many of their albums.

I don't enjoy these albums. That's all. The lyrics in several tracks read like a Michelle Bachmann speech, and I find that absolutely cringeworthy. I don't find anything of value in lyrics like that. I didn't say you couldn't enjoy them, or that anyone else is bad for listening to it. I find the albums to be unbearable, just as you probably find ones by other artists to be.
I was arguing that these two records are no where near as preachy as you suggest. A LOT of Underoath's material reads like a Michelle Bachmann speech.

Nobody accused you of saying that. What I said is that your reason for not liking it is weak, and that if you didn't like them based on that then I have no clue how you could like their other material. You can like/dislike whatever you want based on anything, I just disagree with your reasoning.
01:50 PM on 07/27/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And I think your reason for replying to my post is weak. You don't really seem to want to add anything beyond "no, your negative opinion about immature lyrics written by inexperienced songwriters is wrong", and there is nothing to be gained by continuing this 'discussion' with you, so I'll be ignoring any of your future posts.
Oh no...I'm crushed. I never said you were wrong. Sorry if you were insulted by my differing opinion. How childish...
06:22 PM on 07/27/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Let me quote a lyric directly "You should of thought about the baby before you had sex, because you have destroyed a gift from God"

And I used to wonder why people strongly disliked Underoath.
That is one of the songs I pointed out to that baby OctoberOrigins. One instance where he is dead on saying that they were preachy. That song you quoted is Burden In Your Hand and there's also Spirit of a Living God. Those songs are terrible and very presumptuous of the listener, big reason why AOD is much weaker. Plus the fact that Chris Dudley wasn't kicking ass on the synth.

Besides those two the rest of the album is not even close to being that...opinionated...remember these guys were pretty much kids at the time. That doesn't excuse it, just may explain the level of bigoted immaturity.
06:26 PM on 07/27/13
simonbelmont
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Here is the whole song for those curious.....

Confusing and scared there is a decision made with this choice a child has to pay
She puts it's life in her hands, and then she destroys it's only chance to become someone in life
You should of thought aboutthe baby before you had sex, because you have destroyed a gift from God
You kill, you destroyed
Never will this baby be able to grow up or show it's love
You'll never hear it say I love you, I love you
God does not give you the privilege to carry a child for nothing
When you kill, you destroy that child's dreams and hopes
How innocent a baby is... how can you put it to death?
What if you were aborted... you could of never had life <-This Lyric makes me cringe/laugh
And now you make a choice to take this child's life because it is a burden in you hands
A burden in your hands
Destroyed out of convenience
They put an end to you life because you're too big a burden and one that they can not have
So they take your life before your first breath
When will it stop, the killings continue
Babies die everyday because of a pro choice made
Helpless and innocent they are put to death
Then why did the parents choose to plant a seed and then destroy it?
Pray for the people who are killing the kids of tomorrow
How desperately they need Jesus Christ in there hearts
So they take your life because your a burden in their hands
Destroyed our of convenience
They put a end to you life because you're too big a burden and one that they can not have
So they take your life before your first breath,
so they take your life before your first breath
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT