Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Gaslight Anthem
Inside AP.net

Brian Fallon Posts The Gaslight Anthem Update

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/29/13)
Brian Fallon has posted a lengthy blog about The Gaslight Anthem's future. The band's going to go dark for a little while.
I'm going to go away from the press and interviews now until we finish writing our next record and find out what we will be in the next chapter of our artistic careers. I have nothing left to say until we find what that next chapter of our band is.
To our fansÖ please bear with us through this awkward period of finding our new legs. Iím being honest with you here because I am grateful for your loyalty to my band.

Submitted by Matt Chylak

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 67
09:48 AM on 07/29/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Full Blog"Tonight You Have Broken My Heart."

Tonight we played the third show of a three night stand in NYC. It was a beautiful venue at Pier 26 and we played with one of my favorite bands the Hold Steady. But tonight, after the show, I found myself with some things I feel I need to say that have been a long time coming…

I play music because something stirs inside of my heart and it needs to be expelled. I have found from a young age that music is the avenue which relieves me. It allows me to say words and choose notes that speak to my own soul. It comforts me. There are people who have found something in my band’s songs that speak to them as well. I’ve met some of them, they come to our shows and have purchased our records because they’ve found something that speaks to them somewhere in the things we have created. That, to me, is amazing.

However, I feel it necessary to address that we are The Gaslight Anthem. We play Gaslight Anthem songs. We’re not the band you think we may be akin to. My name isn’t Bruce, It’s not Eddie, or Joe, or Paul either. If you’d like to hear their songs they are readily available and the former two tour quite often. You should go see them, they put on great shows. They play long sets over two hours sometimes. It’s truly amazing to watch them at their craft. But again, we’re not them. We have a different set of rules. We’re on a different course, because we aren’t them and can’t be them. We have to find our path, because that’s the only honest thing we can do. Which is where I find myself now, proud of what we’ve done, and where we’ve come from, but it’s time to find the next thing. Time to create a new sound, time to create the next Gaslight Anthem.

We will always play those songs, but we will never be that band again.

When I was 27 years old we wrote a record called the ‘59 Sound. It was our first break. We got to work with a wonderful man named Ted Hutt who taught us things we never would’ve known without him.

I was a kid pouring his heart out about what moved him inside and what I loved. Now I have to be a man pouring my heart out about what moves me inside.

Bands who have long careers change. Drastically. That doesn’t mean they no longer like what they did in the past or what got them where they are. It means they have to create and be true to who they are RIGHT NOW, not be true to what people want them to be.

To say that bands don’t owe their fans anything is wrong. They owe them the truth of their art. They owe them a performance of songs they’ve written at that specific show as they are that evening. The ticket doesn’t promise what happened at a show three years ago, or five years ago, or ten years from now. Live music is beautiful that way, because it’s that night only. It’ll never be that show again.

When you go see a band it’s a gamble, like going to see a movie. You may not like it in the end. But you can’t change it. It is what it is. The only difference between bands and movies is that one show might be 90 minutes, one show might be three hours. But the ticket just says what band is playing. It doesn’t make promises of that cover they did once, or that guest they had last week, or… your favorite song.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about…

I love the movie Kill Bill. I love Uma Thurman, but no matter how hard I wish or yell at the screen, or insult, or wave my hands. She’s not coming over after the film. No matter how many times I watch it. It’s also not gonna change, it’s not gonna add a scene or delete a scene just because I want to get to my favorite part quicker. She’s not gonna make out with me because I think she’s pretty. She doesn’t owe me anything because I like her or her movies. She is not her work.
I am not my work. I am a guy who happens to have felt some things and gotten in a band that put those things to music and a few people thought it spoke to them. That’s a miracle to me that I remember everyday.

I’m going to go away from the press and interviews now until we finish writing our next record and find out what we will be in the next chapter of our artistic careers. I have nothing left to say until we find what that next chapter of our band is.

To our fans… please bear with us through this awkward period of finding our new legs. I’m being honest with you here because I am grateful for your loyalty to my band.

To the spiteful reviewers… just remember no one’s singing for you.

I’m asking openly and humbly that if anyone would like to come to a Gaslight Anthem show, please come because you want to see what we’re doing on that night. Don’t come to see Bruce, he won’t be there. Don’t come to hear a cover, it probably won’t happen. Don’t come to yell at me when I’m trying to share something with the audience to reach out to them about something I feel is moving me. For some reason I’m the one with microphone, which may be a mistake entirely. But if you want one and have something to say, please start a band, get in the van, sleep on floors, and work your butt off and maybe one day I’ll find your band and I’ll come see you play.

But I swear I will not yell at you or call out for you to play one of your influences songs… because I’ll be there to see you.

Brian Fallon
09:57 AM on 07/29/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Definitely makes sense. Don't understand fans who never want their favorite bands to change their sounds. Looking forward to what they come up with next.
09:59 AM on 07/29/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Kill Bill was eh.
10:02 AM on 07/29/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Well I'm glad I get to see them wednesday night play a headline show. That should hold me off till they get a new record out.

I look forward to them redefining themselves. Look at the Beatles and how much their sound changed from record to record.
10:23 AM on 07/29/13
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
I'm pretty excited about the whole redefining themselves as a band idea. Also: I do not get those people that simply wish that their favorite band would make the same record over and over without trying new ideas and branching out. The 59' Sound is one of my favorite records ever, and I was just kinda meh towards Handwritten, however I didn't resent them. I was glad that they tried something different instead of trying to reinvent 59, even if I wasn't too fond of the results.
10:25 AM on 07/29/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Should be interesting to hear how they change then. I have confidence it will be good either way.
10:29 AM on 07/29/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I'm pretty excited about the whole redefining themselves as a band idea. Also: I do not get those people that simply wish that their favorite band would make the same record over and over without trying new ideas and branching out. The 59' Sound is one of my favorite records ever, and I was just kinda meh towards Handwritten, however I didn't resent them. I was glad that they tried something different instead of trying to reinvent 59, even if I wasn't too fond of the results.
T59S was so good though. I know its probably better and more interesting for them to branch out and try other stuff, but like... T59S and SoS are two of my favorite albums ever and they could release ten similar albums and I wouldn't care about it being repetitive because they'd all be so good. In theory I like the idea of a band branching out and trying new stuff, and doing what they need to do rather than what their fans want. But if I'm being totally selfishly honest, I'd rather they want to just make more nostalgic sing-a-long songs with boomingly catchy choruses and references out the wazoo.

That being said the bullshit about calling out for Bruce at their shows / still asking about Bruce in every interview / saying HW has lots of Springsteen influences which it clearly doesn't certainly needs to stop.
10:31 AM on 07/29/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
I wonder if this means they'll be moving away from the classic rock sound that they have. I'd be really stoked if they did. I love they work that they've done, but I'd be interested to see how they'd sound if they weren't trying to replicate a sound that's already happened.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
I'm with you all the way.
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Fucking love Brian but think him saying 'I'm not Eddy' is a bit weird after him telling everyone the new album is gonna be their 'No Code'.
Tom1191
User Info.
I'm kinda glad to hear they're trying to redefine themselves. I liked Handwritten but I know they can do way better.

What is fucking disappointing are some of the morons that pay for a Gaslight ticket and then call for a Bruce cover.
10:35 AM on 07/29/13
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
very excited for new gaslight material
10:38 AM on 07/29/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Fucking love Brian but think him saying 'I'm not Eddy' is a bit weird after him telling everyone the new album is gonna be their 'No Code'.
Thought he meant that more in the "maybe we're going to do a weirder album next time" -- not "it's gonna sound like ____."
10:43 AM on 07/29/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
if im going to see them. I want to hear what they wrote, not some cover or to compare him to bruce because they played on stage together. I enjoyed handwritten a lot so i won't be complain when they play 8 songs off it wednesday night.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums