AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Countdown: Top 5 Most Anticipated August Releases

Posted by - 11:12 AM on 07/31/13
Summer's slipping away and the smell of autumn is emerging from the not-too-distant future. The month of August features a handful of fine albums that'll make the transition of seasons a little smoother. My five most anticipated albums for August range from a couple of pop-rock's finest to some of the best heavy albums of the year. The month is a good primer for the craziness that's going to be September (seriously, have you seen what's releasing that month?!?). Anyways, check out my list in the replies and feel free to discuss the albums you're anticipating next month.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75
11:12 AM on 07/31/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
5) The Dangerous Summer - Golden Record (August 6)
NoteWhat more can I say about this album that I didn't in my review? A month after writing that, I still feel very strongly about the third album from the Baltimore-now-Los Angeles-based quartet. I love the raspy vocals from AJ Perdomo and some of the songs are the band's strongest yet. Golden Record will be the first record to make your August a fantastic month.

4) Oathbreaker - Eros|Anteros (August 20)
NoteTalk about progression. The Belgium female-fronted metal quartet have released an amazing sophomore for Deathwish titled Eros|Anteros. Opening track "Beeltenis" is a melodious shot across the black sky, as Caro Tanghe unleashes some unholy screams that'll wake the dead on "No Rest For The Weary." The album highlights, however, come in the form "The Abyss Looks Into Me" and closer "Clair Obscur" - two 9+ minute tracks that show how much Oathbreaker have matured and advanced as songwriters.

3) O'Brother - Disillusion (August 20)
NoteO'Brother will dazzle you with its second Triple Crown release, Disillusion. The biggest difference between this and the band's 2011 release, Garden Window, is how the space and atmospheric elements dominate the record, making the heavier, fast moments even more destructive. Garden Window went wall-to-wall heavy and sometimes that got tiring, but here each guitar chord, breakdown, and riff resonate to an even higher degree. "Oblivion" and the title track are clear examples of this framework - with each song being a showcase of a band at its pinnacle.

2) Little Big League - These Are Good People (August 6)
NoteThis is absolutely one of the best female-fronted indie-rock bands I've heard in a long time. The band's Tiny Engines debut, These Are Good People, is rough around the edges with just enough sweet melody in the middle. Some of it reminds me of early If It Was You/So Jealous-era Tegan And Sara, but the dark guitar chords and Michelle Zauner's powerful vocals take the band to a place where peers just can't compare.

1) Native - Orthodox (August 20)
NoteYou will not be able to call yourself a connoisseur of hardcore until you’ve heard Orthodox - the upcoming Sargent House release from Northwest Indiana’s Native. The nuance in the noise throughout the album’s eight tracks is impressive - opening track “Word City" features some of Nick Glassen’s best drumming as the song fluctuates between chaos and serenity before ripping your throat out. The band brings a smorgasbord of different tempos and genres: “Monday Night" gets a little proggy (think “My (Fucking) Deer Hunter" off of Fear Before’s The Always Open Mouth) while “Kissing Bridge" unleashes a spectacular spazzfest. Guitarists Dan Evans and Ed O’Neill put together chords and riffs that pierce through the dark rhythms from bassist/vocalist Bobby Markos and Glassen and create something that’s not only jarring but also memorable. Orthodox is one of the most exciting and rejuvenating albums I’ve had the pleasure of listening to in 2013 so make plans to jump on the bandwagon now, as this album will place Native amongst the post-hardcore/etc elite.
11:15 AM on 07/31/13
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
LITTLE BIG LEAGUE!
11:15 AM on 07/31/13
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Stoked for Golden Record. New Farewell Fighter is probably my most anticipated this month though.
11:21 AM on 07/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
you gave that TDS record an 8.5 and said it has some of the "very best lyrics, melodies, and compositions of this pop-rock genre" and it's only the fifth most anticipated for this one single month
11:30 AM on 07/31/13
xdifference88x
Freedom's Not Alone Anymore
User Info.
forgot about some of these records, August/September is stacked. also love that Triple Crown is making a nice comeback with O'Brother this month and Moving Mountains/Into It. Over It. in september.
11:33 AM on 07/31/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I'll definitely check out all of these, but the only 2 for me are really just
Norma Jean and
Jars of Clay
11:34 AM on 07/31/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
you gave that TDS record an 8.5 and said it has some of the "very best lyrics, melodies, and compositions of this pop-rock genre" and it's only the fifth most anticipated for this one single month
well, yeah, of course! He's already heard it, so he's not really anticipating it any longer!

hahahah
11:34 AM on 07/31/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
it's the highest ranked pop-rock record on my list.
11:35 AM on 07/31/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
well, yeah, of course! He's already heard it, so he's not really anticipating it any longer!

hahahah
well I've heard all five of these records in my list haha
11:35 AM on 07/31/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
O'Brother will destroy, it will be hard to top Garden Window for me though.
11:39 AM on 07/31/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
O'Brother will destroy, it will be hard to top Garden Window for me though.
the two records are fairly different stylistically, still an o'bro record but different.
11:43 AM on 07/31/13
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Didn't know O'Brother had a new album coming out. Excited for it.
11:51 AM on 07/31/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
the two records are fairly different stylistically, still an o'bro record but different.
Well that's good, I'm glad they're evolving their sound then.
11:59 AM on 07/31/13
The Meech
User Info.
that first sentence makes me sad

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News