Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 52.
11:15 AM on 08/06/13
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Interesting thought that the album should end at "Disarm". Have to think about it myself...it works really well, but I've never heard of a record ending on a cover song.
11:17 AM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Thanks bro.

cool review. you've actually made me put the album on, which is not to say that's some high bar of music criticism or whatever, but the fact is i always thought this band was for idiots because the people i always saw talking about it on the internet were idiots with whom I had nothing in common. but you definitely make it seem intriguing and, for lack of a better term, important.

But maybe it's the Fleetwood Mac-style "i hate you" guy/girl drama you describe so well that has made me interested. like some sort of scavenger hunt to find the true reasons behind their personal discord.

when did they record this album? I'm assuming before November when they announced a hiatus? Or did they do it all separately and bitterly?

I really do think this is the closest thing to a modern Rumours we have right now. Maybe that's why I love it so much.

I think they recorded the entire album before the hiatus, but the tension was building as they went. I have no idea what happened specifically to drive them apart though. It sounded like John Paul White was getting tired of touring because it was taking him away from his family, and that Joy didn't really understand because her husband was managing them and always on the road as well. But I wonder if something else happened to really drive them apart.

Very much this.

Even Wikipedia doesn't have anything about them after that November comment. Makes me wonder if they tour anymore at all? Any shows or performances? How was this recorded? And when? And who decided which songs in which order? And what about the album artwork? Do they even speak now?

I want to know.

I think it's one of those things that we're going to find out more about down the road.
11:36 AM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Interesting thought that the album should end at "Disarm". Have to think about it myself...it works really well, but I've never heard of a record ending on a cover song.
I hadn't even really thought about that, but that's probably why they didn't end there. Now you've got me trying to find an album in my collection that closes with a cover song.
11:39 AM on 08/06/13
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
Commenting so I remember to read this sober
great comment.

and to the OP: great review, how do you get all of the best albums to review?!
11:41 AM on 08/06/13
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
I hadn't even really thought about that, but that's probably why they didn't end there. Now you've got me trying to find an album in my collection that closes with a cover song.
"save it for later" off "heart of a dog" by kasey anderson and the honkies... you must have that one!
12:04 PM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
great comment.

and to the OP: great review, how do you get all of the best albums to review?!

Just lucky I guess. Or because Chris Collum wandered off into the woods and never came back. One of the two.

"save it for later" off "heart of a dog" by kasey anderson and the honkies... you must have that one!

Nice one. I've been checking out his stuff gradually since "Like Teenage Gravity" popped up on the Counting Crows cover album last year.
12:05 PM on 08/06/13
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
maybe an old Jackson 5 album or some kind of soul album. a lot of songs from that time were covers.

edit: technically OCMS's "Wagon Wheel" is cover, I suppose.
12:14 PM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
They recorded before November. Below is an article that talks about the second record and has quotes from the producer and how he felt the tension during the process.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...e-scenes-video

Nice avatar.

maybe an old Jackson 5 album or some kind of soul album. a lot of songs from that time were covers.

edit: technically OCMS's "Wagon Wheel" is cover, I suppose.

"Twist and Shout" is one. I bet it happened a bunch in the old days, not so much today though.
12:14 PM on 08/06/13
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
Spot on review. So far this is neck and neck with Parts of Speech for my AOTY
12:35 PM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Spot on review. So far this is neck and neck with Parts of Speech for my AOTY
Thanks, and good call. Edging out Jimmy Eat World for mine at the moment.
12:47 PM on 08/06/13
Cody Nelson
facebook.com/comedyfiends
User Info.
Jesus christ, Craig, you were born to be an album reviewer. I don't understand how you manage to so frequently top your previous best efforts.
03:12 PM on 08/06/13
vivatoto56
Nice Try, The Devil
User Info.
Damn good read. I've been pretty obsessed with this since my first listen.
03:17 PM on 08/06/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Jesus christ, Craig, you were born to be an album reviewer. I don't understand how you manage to so frequently top your previous best efforts.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the compliments. This is definitely one of my favorite reviews I've done here.

Damn good read. I've been pretty obsessed with this since my first listen.

I've hardly listened to anything else, haha.
03:40 PM on 08/06/13
StolliFresh89
User Info.
Great review. Definitely going to check this out. As for an album that ends on a cover song - "A Boy Named Goo" - goo goo dolls
04:17 PM on 08/06/13
radiofriendly
stachy destroyer
User Info.
great review. Can't say I could ever really get into this band, but I'll give this full-length another listen
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS