AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 52
11:02 PM on 08/06/13
70timesseven
User Info.
Craig - I agree with every single point you made in this review. I listened to this whole album driving home from the beach today. I didn't make it through "Sacred Heart" and "D'Arline." It's hard to know this is possibly the last piece of work we'll get from them. Listening to this album is extremely bittersweet.
07:19 AM on 08/08/13
fakeyellowlight
User Info.
Very much this.

Even Wikipedia doesn't have anything about them after that November comment. Makes me wonder if they tour anymore at all? Any shows or performances? How was this recorded? And when? And who decided which songs in which order? And what about the album artwork? Do they even speak now?

I want to know.
I actually heard an interview on Tuesday with Joy on the radio. It was rather lengthy and personal. She opened up to much of what had happened, at least comparatively to what you might learn from say, other bands, or Bill Belichick.

In short, there are no tours planned. The last time Joy talked to JP was in the Spring when they wrapped up the album. Joy seemed to think that JP didn't want to tour and she did, etc. She discussed the tension in the recording process. Pretty cool stuff. But no, they are not on good terms as of Tuesday, and I think it's mostly on him. And no, no touring in the foreseeable future.
09:04 AM on 08/08/13
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
I actually heard an interview on Tuesday with Joy on the radio. It was rather lengthy and personal. She opened up to much of what had happened, at least comparatively to what you might learn from say, other bands, or Bill Belichick.

In short, there are no tours planned. The last time Joy talked to JP was in the Spring when they wrapped up the album. Joy seemed to think that JP didn't want to tour and she did, etc. She discussed the tension in the recording process. Pretty cool stuff. But no, they are not on good terms as of Tuesday, and I think it's mostly on him. And no, no touring in the foreseeable future.
From the interviews I read, there is equal blame. To put it all on JP seems wrong. He might not of wanted to tour but I'm sure there were other problems to cause this.
09:14 AM on 08/08/13
FTank
Blank
User Info.
Futures is my third favorite album of all time. That said, JEW have never made my favorite album of any year, but I'm thinking that changes with this one. I just can't see anything else coming close to the emotional attachment I have to these songs now.
Thanks, and good call. Edging out Jimmy Eat World for mine at the moment.
well, damn.

hahaha nice.
09:25 AM on 08/08/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

I think more of the blame is on Joy, honestly. It sounds to me like she and her husband (their manager) basically were teaming up on John Paul and trying to pressure him into taking more time away from his family than he was willing to take. Now she's probably making everything worse by spouting off about their tension and making that the marketing hook of this album. It seems like he's a pretty no bullshit guy, whereas Joy isn't afraid to play the game to better her own position in the industry. Neither attitude is a bad one to have, but they are certainly clashing beliefs, and that's why there hasn't been a reconciliation (and why I don't think there will be).

This album seriously came out of nowhere for me. Barton Hollow didn't even contend for my top 10 in 2011. Didn't expect to love this one half as much as I do.
12:57 PM on 08/08/13
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Fuck you, member ratings
01:50 PM on 08/08/13
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
WHO FUCKED UP THE MEMBER RATINGS?!?!?!?!
02:10 PM on 08/08/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Fuck you, member ratings

WHO FUCKED UP THE MEMBER RATINGS?!?!?!?!

Member ratings are literally the worst thing about this site. Hope Jason gets rid of them.
02:25 PM on 08/08/13
vivatoto56
User Info.
Member ratings are literally the worst thing about this site. Hope Jason gets rid of them.

Absolutely agree.
02:39 PM on 08/08/13
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
I second that motion
04:01 PM on 08/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I like the member's rating. Not quite accurate but it's getting there.
04:17 PM on 08/09/13
FTank
Blank
User Info.
I like the member's rating. Not quite accurate but it's getting there.
Haha, what would you put as a score for this?
04:31 PM on 08/09/13
vivatoto56
User Info.
I back Craig's score. Album is an easy 90-95
06:46 PM on 08/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Haha, what would you put as a score for this?
4.5, maybe lower.
08:06 PM on 08/09/13
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT