Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 23 of 23
07:28 AM on 08/08/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I don't think leaks do anything other than create buzz (either positive or negative) about an album. If people want to pirate music, they'll do it no matter if it's before the release date or after. When an album leaks, I can see how that's frustrating to an artist, but the people who buy records will still buy them.
08:37 AM on 08/08/13
BLeClair12
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think leaks do anything other than create buzz (either positive or negative) about an album. If people want to pirate music, they'll do it no matter if it's before the release date or after. When an album leaks, I can see how that's frustrating to an artist, but the people who buy records will still buy them.
I can agree with most of that. I have a self imposed system when it comes to purchasing/downloading music. It's just something that has developed over time and I more or less stick to it.

If it's a band I love, I will listen to no more than 3 singles leading up to the record's release. I will, inevitably, purchase a physical copy of the album on release day. I never listen to leaks, band streams, or anything of the sort. I want the first time I hear the record to be when I pop in the CD.

If it's a huge, major label artist with millions of dollars and airplay every seven seconds, I'll probably listen to a leak, check it out on Spotify and then, if it really strikes a chord with me, purchase it (for example, The 20/20 Experience and Yeezus thus far this year)

Then there are bands I know very little about and simply can't justify spending money on their record until I familiarize myself with them. It happened with Letlive. this year, for example. They streamed "The Blackest Beautiful" really early, so I checked out the YouTube stream and thought I might like it. Then I caught their set at Warped Tour and enjoyed it. The following week, I listened to the record on Spotify a couple of times and then purchased a physical copy that week.

Once I've bought a band's record, they're automatically on my radar for the next record cycle, making them a likely candidate for the first category I talked about.
08:49 AM on 08/08/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I can agree with most of that. I have a self imposed system when it comes to purchasing/downloading music. It's just something that has developed over time and I more or less stick to it.

If it's a band I love, I will listen to no more than 3 singles leading up to the record's release. I will, inevitably, purchase a physical copy of the album on release day. I never listen to leaks, band streams, or anything of the sort. I want the first time I hear the record to be when I pop in the CD.

If it's a huge, major label artist with millions of dollars and airplay every seven seconds, I'll probably listen to a leak, check it out on Spotify and then, if it really strikes a chord with me, purchase it (for example, The 20/20 Experience and Yeezus thus far this year)

Then there are bands I know very little about and simply can't justify spending money on their record until I familiarize myself with them. It happened with Letlive. this year, for example. They streamed "The Blackest Beautiful" really early, so I checked out the YouTube stream and thought I might like it. Then I caught their set at Warped Tour and enjoyed it. The following week, I listened to the record on Spotify a couple of times and then purchased a physical copy that week.

Once I've bought a band's record, they're automatically on my radar for the next record cycle, making them a likely candidate for the first category I talked about.
I pretty much follow this same format. I'll usually listen to stuff in full when it leaks though, and if it's good, I'll buy it.
09:11 AM on 08/08/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
ive worked with people who leak albums... we/they do it because we dont get paid. just that simple
what? who doesn't get paid? if you're talking about media people – reviewers, etc – then that's scummy. find yourself another hobby.
03:05 PM on 08/08/13
Atavistic
User Info.
no mention of scene groups at all? really?
05:12 PM on 08/08/13
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what? who doesn't get paid? if you're talking about media people – reviewers, etc – then that's scummy. find yourself another hobby.
i worked as a producer in hollywood for many years. not the most glamour job. lot of times labels, managers, lawyers dont wanna pay fees.. simples as that. i recorded a song that went to #1 and saw nothing for it.
03:53 AM on 08/09/13
codeseven
fucked tortured and discarded
User Info.
no mention of scene groups at all? really?
Probably because release groups rarely get true advance copies anymore. Most are single user distributed via torrents or other P2P methods. Years ago, we would see advance copies get pre'd literally 3 to 4 months before retail - I think the industry, bands, and the other individuals involved have done a great job at closing that gap tremendously throughout the years. And since leaks, for the most part, come only shortly before release dates now days, it doesn't do much except as one of the users above stated creates buzz. I myself will always grab leaks just because I'm impatient, however it has no bearing on whether I purchase the album or not.
08:18 AM on 08/09/13
Atavistic
User Info.
Probably because release groups rarely get true advance copies anymore. Most are single user distributed via torrents or other P2P methods. Years ago, we would see advance copies get pre'd literally 3 to 4 months before retail - I think the industry, bands, and the other individuals involved have done a great job at closing that gap tremendously throughout the years. And since leaks, for the most part, come only shortly before release dates now days, it doesn't do much except as one of the users above stated creates buzz. I myself will always grab leaks just because I'm impatient, however it has no bearing on whether I purchase the album or not.
they don't usually get leaked months before retail dates anymore but scene groups are still the source of most album rips out there (and, well, pirated shit in general)

it just baffles me that after all this time people still don't understand how most of this stuff works, like it begins and ends with some random guy putting up a torrent somewhere

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos