AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Round-Up News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Australian Music Round-Up (08/10/13)

Posted by - 04:28 PM on 08/10/13
Head to the replies to read this week's Australian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
04:28 PM on 08/10/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Ben and Sam for putting this together.

Australian Music Round-UpNEWS

The first run of acts for the Big Day Out 2014 have been announced, with Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, Blur and Snoop Lion topping the bill. They’ll be joined by an extensive range of international and Australian artists such as The Lumineers, Portugal. The Man, Northlane, Mudhoney, Flume and many more. A second announcement is expected mid-September and tickets are on sale now.

Melbourne’s The Broderick have called it a day according to an announcement on the band’s facebook page. In their time together the outfit released the Illusion Over Despair EP in 2008 and the well-received full-length Free To Rot, Free Of Sin in 2012.

Check out an exclusive stream of Eskimo Joe’s new track Running Out Of Needs here. The song comes from the band’s recently crowdfunded sixth album which is due for release soon.

An afternoon acoustic show has been added to the upcoming Weekender schedule, with tickets available on the door only. The event will take place on Saturday September 7 at Melbourne’s Old Bar from 2pm and will feature performances from Ribbons Patterns, Pinch Hitter, Lucy Wilson and Nathan Seeckts.

The Smith Street Band have added a second Sydney show at the Annandale Hotel on their upcoming national tour. The show is scheduled for September 1 and tickets are on sale now. The band released their new EP Don’t Fuck With Our Dreams this week.

Pre-orders are now up for the upcoming 7” split between Jen Buxton and Lincoln Le Fevre here. The vinyl comes in your choice of classic black or “rain splatter” and will see a release on September 20 through Poison City Records.

Gold Coast pop-punkers Skyway have returned officially from hiatus with plans for a brand new EP before the end of the year.

You can stream Existence, the new album from Perth’s Monuments here. The album saw a vinyl and digital release this week through Hindsight Records.

After digitally releasing their new EP No Bad Days last week, Brisbane’s El Alamein have announced their breakup. The band will play a hometown final show at Fat Louie’s in Brisbane on September 21 with supports from Seahorse Divorce, Make More, Oslow and Ted Danson With Wolves.

Watch the new video from The Red Paintings for the track Wasps here. The song comes from the band’s long awaited debut full-length The Revolution Is Never Coming, which was recently released through Bird’s Robe.

Byron Bay hardcore outfit Shackles have launched pre-orders for their new 7” Disposed Of. The 5-track release will be available in a limited run of 300 through Urban Rage.

I Killed The Prom Queen are on course to enter the studio to begin work on their third album according to a tweet by guitarist Jona Weinhofen. The album is the long awaited follow-up to 2006’s Music For The Recently Deceased.

Sydney sludge-hardcore quartet Snakes Get Bad Press (Totally Unicorn, ex-Slowly Building Weapons) have released the first taste of their debut release. Cower will appear on the band’s upcoming EP Residues which will see a release later in the year. Check out the track here.

Check out the new video from Brisbane’s Like Thieves here. The clip is for the title track from the band’s recently released debut EP The Wolves At Winter’s Edge.

The Beards will headline the Sydney World Beard Day event at the Annandale Hotel on September 7. Tickets are available here.

Eleventh He Reaches London will release their third album Bānhūs on October 4 through Hobbledehoy Records. You can listen to a track from the effort entitled Code Entwined here.

Hand Of Mercy have released a new video for the track Last Lights which you can watch here. The song comes from the band’s 2012 album of the same name.

Newcastle’s The Delta Lions will release their second album Post Code on August 17. The follow-up to last year’s debut Magnetic South was recorded by band guitarist/vocalist Michael Ferfoglia and drummer Mat Taylor at Scabbey Road Sounds, Newcastle. The band have also announced tour dates to coincide with the release which you can find below.

Stream the new Machina Genova EP Weathered Heart in full here. The effort saw a release this week through Broken Hive and Lacklustre Records.

According to recent tweets from the band, Confession are currently in the initial stages of recording a new album. The band last released The Long Way Home in 2011.

Hellions (ex-The Bride) have released the second single from their upcoming debut album Die Young. Take a listen to Daughters here. Die Young will see a September 20 release through UNFD.

New Brisbane band The Comfort (ex-For This Cause) have released their first single Your Light Is Not Worth Your Dark. You can check it out here.

Sydney pop-punk outfit Highways have called it quits after the departures of guitarist Nick Laurie and bassist Keanu McCormick. Check out their statement here.

The Offspring were involved in a case of mistaken identity during the week when fans of the long-running Australian TV drama Offspring inundated the band’s twitter assuming it belonged to the program. Check out some of the band’s replies here.

Due to overwhelming demand, City And Colour have announced a third Sydney show for November 26 at the State Theatre. Tickets are on sale now.

Muse have announced a second Melbourne show after the first sold out the morning tickets were released. The show will take place December 7 at Rod Laver Arena.

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS

AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS

Adelaide’s Life Pilot have announced an east coast run of dates in support of their recent split with Perth’s Statues, Compass. All tickets available at the door only.

16/08 - Small Ballroom, Newcastle [18+]
17/08 - San Remo Neighbourhood Centre, Central Coast [AA - Afternoon]
17/08 - Chatswood Youth Centre, Sydney [AA - Evening]
23/08 - The Tote, Melbourne [18+]
24/08 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+]

The Delta Lions’ scattered tour dates in support of their new album Post Code shape up as follows.

17/08 - Lass O’ Gowrie, Newcastle [18+]
29/08 - Annandale Hotel, Sydney [18+]
30/08 - North Nowra Tavern, Nowra [18+]
31/08 - Phoenix Bar, Canberra [18+]
14/09 - Great Northern, Newcastle [18+]
28/09 - Dicey Riley’s, Wollongong [18+]
10/10 - Valve Bar, Sydney [18+]
18/10 - Barwon Club, Geelong [18+]
19/10 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
14/11 - Armidale Club, Armidale [18+]
15/11 - Irish McGann’s, Roma [18+]
16/11 - Ric’s Bar, Brisbane [18+]

Postblue have announced an east coast tour for late August / early September with support from Flowermouth. The two bands recently issued a split on cassette and digital through Hindsight.

31/08 - Fat Louie’s, Brisbane [18+]
01/09 - House Show, Brisbane [AA]
04/09 - Small Ballroom, Newcastle [18+]
05/09 - The Square, Sydney [18+]
06/09 - John Curtin Hotel, Melbourne [18+]* (Weekender - SOLD OUT)
11/09 - Pot Belly Bar, Canberra [18+]*
*Flowermouth not appearing.

Sydney’s Born Lion have announced some dates in support of their recent single D For Danger. Tickets for all shows will be available at the door only.

04/09 - Great Northern, Newcastle [18+]
05/09 - Port Macquarie Hotel, Port Macquarie [18+]
06/09 - Armidale Club, Armidale [18+]
07/09 - Coffs Hotel, Coffs Harbour [18+]
12/09 - Ric’s Bar, Brisbane [18+]
19/09 - Bull And Bush, Baulkham Hills [18+]
20/09 - Annandale Hotel, Sydney [18+]
21/09 - Spectrum, Sydney [18+]
05/10 - Old Bar, Melbourne [18+]

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS

Mississippi’s Cory Branan has announced a full run of dates around his appearance on this year’s Weekender fest. Tickets are on sale now.

07/09 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+] (Weekender - SOLD OUT)
11/09 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
12/09 - The Loft, Gold Coast [18+] w/ Jordan Lawrence, Hello Tari
13/09 - Lass O’ Gowrie, Newcastle [18+] w/ Jen Buxton
14/09 - Brighton Up Bar, Sydney [18+] w/ Jen Buxton
15/09 - Smith’s Alternative Bookshop, Canberra [AA] w/ Pete Akhurst
18/09 - Karova Lounge, Ballarat [18+]
19/09 - Beav’s Bar, Geelong [18+] w/ Murdena
20/09 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+] w/ Lincoln Le Fevre, Darren Gibson
21/09 - Baby Black Espresso Bar, Bacchus Marsh [18+] w/ Darren Gibson

New Zealand rock outfit Villainy have announced their first Australian tour based around their appearance at this year’s Big Sound event in Brisbane. You can watch the video for their new single Alligator Skin here.

11/09 - Black Bear Lodge, Brisbane [18+] (Big Sound)
12/09 - Tempo Hotel, Brisbane [18+] (Big Sound)
13/09 - Sol Bar, Sunshine Coast [18+] w/ Kingswood
14/09 - Great Northern, Byron Bay [18+] w/ Kingswood
18/09 - Cherry Bar, Melbourne [18+] w/ Jackson Firebird
19/09 - The Espy (Front Bar), Melbourne [18+]
20/09 - Spectrum, Sydney [18+] w/ Self Is A Seed

Fall Out Boy have announced a national tour for October with support on all shows by British India. Tickets are on sale now.

22/10 - Entertainment Centre Theatre, Adelaide [AA]
25/10 - Entertainment Centre, Sydney [AA]
26/10 - Festival Hall, Melbourne [AA]
27/10 - Convention Centre, Brisbane [AA]

Winning venues have been revealed for The Red Jumpsuit ApparatusChoose Our Adventure tour. The band recently called for fans to vote where they should play on their upcoming November shows with The Sweet Apes and Red Beard. Tickets are on sale now.

07/11 - The Hi-Fi, Brisbane [18+]
08/11 - C.eX, Coffs Harbour [18+]
09/11 - Racket Club, Newcastle [LIC/AA]
14/11 - UTS Glasshouse, Sydney [LIC/AA]
15/11 - Corner Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
16/11 - UniBar, Adelaide [18+]

Between The Buried And Me will return to Australia in November for a run of shows in which they’ll be performing latest album The Parallax II: Future Sequence in its entirety. Also along for the ride are The Contortionist who will support on all shows. Tickets are on sale now..

15/11 - The Zoo, Brisbane [18+]
16/11 - Metro Theatre, Sydney [18+]
17/11 - The Basement, Canberra [18+]
19/11 - Corner Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
21/11 - Unibar, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
22/11 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]

Paramore have announced their return down under in January on the back of this year’s self-titled album. They’ll be joined on all shows by You Me At Six and Twenty One Pilots. Tickets are on sale August 22.

09/01 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane [LIC/AA]
11/01 - Allphones Arena, Sydney [LIC/AA]
12/01 - Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne [LIC/AA]
14/01 - Entertainment Centre, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
16/01 - Perth Arena, Perth [LIC/AA]

CLIP OF THE WEEK

Newcastle five-piece Trophy Eyes released a clip this week for their debut single Hourglass. The performance video was filmed at soon-to-be-defunct Wollongong venue Yours & Owls. The track has also been released as a free download from the band’s bandcamp page.

Contributors: BennyNova and Geology Rocks!
05:24 PM on 08/10/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Skyways back!!!
Fuck yeah

Big day out this year! Shithouze!!!!!!!!! There goes my 4yr streak of them
09:18 PM on 08/10/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
BREAKING NEWS:

Eskimo Joe will release their sixth studio album Wastelands on September 20.
10:46 PM on 08/10/13
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
BDO lineup has very little appeal.
11:20 PM on 08/10/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
keen for paramore, but can't help but feel shortchanged when america gets metric and we get you me at six (again)
12:17 AM on 08/11/13
dumpweed41
User Info.
Really wish I could justify a ticket for BDO based on just Blur. Gonna need a hectic second announcement or a side show.
03:54 AM on 08/11/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Really wish I could justify a ticket for BDO based on just Blur. Gonna need a hectic second announcement or a side show.
I know pearl jam can sell footy stadiums. But I'm really wrecking my brain how they think they're gonna sell 2 days in Sydney with the line up they've tossed up.
The last 2 dayer was a shambles with 2 for 1 tix in the end.
Maybe hold out if they're prob forced to do that again
09:35 AM on 08/11/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
New IKTPQ at last, that's great news.
03:59 PM on 08/11/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
BDO lineup has very little appeal.
Mbe for you, but it's not a bad first announcement at all. I know people who would be stoked to see all of the following, and I'd be keen to see about half. Thankfully these don't sell too well any more so I can wait until the second announcement before I decide whether to go.

Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Blur
Snoop Dogg aka Snoop Lion
Major Lazer
Flume
Tame Impala
DIIV
Mudhoney
The 1975
05:39 PM on 08/11/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Where's my boy who said red jumpsuit would get to Perth and play to 1000~ people? Bands playing a 500 capacity bar in Adelaide lol.

Falls and Southbound line ups just dropped and it's worth chucking them in here too ayyyyy
06:24 PM on 08/11/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Where's my boy who said red jumpsuit would get to Perth and play to 1000~ people? Bands playing a 500 capacity bar in Adelaide lol.

Falls and Southbound line ups just dropped and it's worth chucking them in here too ayyyyy

*raises hand* I'll just go stand in the corner now.
01:52 AM on 08/12/13
sooperdoodey
User Info.

And that probably won't sell out. Senses Fail sold 70 presale tickets to their Unibar show on the weekend, and I don't think many more bought tickets at the door.

Adelaide just hates bands.(However La Dispute's show at Fowlers probably pulled close to 500, so maybe it's just Unibar. OR... maybe it's just Senses Fail.)
02:01 AM on 08/12/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
And that probably won't sell out. Senses Fail sold 70 presale tickets to their Unibar show on the weekend, and I don't think many more bought tickets at the door.

Adelaide just hates bands.(However La Dispute's show at Fowlers probably pulled close to 500, so maybe it's just Unibar. OR... maybe it's just Senses Fail.)

Haha wow!

See I don't mind senses fail. But saw their prices and went... Nah

I think they wanted $70ish

More of 25-30$ band
05:48 AM on 08/12/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.

hahahah that's so bad.

RJA have booked the venue with an idea of the numbers though so they may fill most of it. Really though who cares.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos