Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Yikes, but good news in the end.
06:03 AM on 08/14/13
breakcustom
In Fear And Faith
User Info.
I kind of doubt Rise would let him spend $10,000 just to recover from a Twitter comment. Just sayin'.

rise doesn't get a piece of VIP packages. i promise you. it goes straight to the band. it's a really easy way to make a ton of additional money. bands make way less than people think as touring expenses are ridiculously high. bands only receive a small fraction of ticket prices if anything at all. ticket sales typically only go to the artist once the venue reaches it's split point (when they have made enough money to pay staff, etc..)...and even then it's only a percentage as the venue needs to turn a profit also. also, keep in mind that most tours (at least for rise bands) are charging $15-20 for tickets..so the revenue isn't all that exciting. merch is how bands survive.

Source: i was in two rise bands. we did a few VIP packages also. they were a great way for us to make extra gas money and the fans got an experience. and remember, they are paying for it willingly...there's really nothing wrong with this in my eyes. expensive and ridiculous? absolutely. morally wrong? absolutely not.
06:07 AM on 08/14/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
How do you go from "leave me alone I have a family to feed!" to "just kidding it was for CANCER ALL ALONG, you're all DICKS!" in a week? dude is definitely just trying to make himself look better at this point.
06:25 AM on 08/14/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
How do you go from "leave me along I have a family to feed!" to "just kidding it was for CANCER ALL ALONG, you're all DICKS!" in a week? dude is definitely just trying to make himself look better at this point.
I forgot about the "family to feed" comment. That makes me question the claim that he had the charity in line the whole time.

Edit: Is it even legal to sell something and then tell people where their money is ending up? I guess they can do whatever they want with the cash, but if it was for a good cause, why would you not advertise that right away?
06:38 AM on 08/14/13
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
I forgot about the "family to feed" comment. That makes me question the claim that he had the charity in line the whole time.

Edit: Is it even legal to sell something and then tell people where their money is ending up? I guess they can do whatever they want with the cash, but if it was for a good cause, why would you not advertise that right away?
if it were the other way around you'd have a point, but he didnt deceive anyone using a charity front to make money
07:11 AM on 08/14/13
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
rise doesn't get a piece of VIP packages. i promise you. it goes straight to the band. it's a really easy way to make a ton of additional money. bands make way less than people think as touring expenses are ridiculously high. bands only receive a small fraction of ticket prices if anything at all. ticket sales typically only go to the artist once the venue reaches it's split point (when they have made enough money to pay staff, etc..)...and even then it's only a percentage as the venue needs to turn a profit also. also, keep in mind that most tours (at least for rise bands) are charging $15-20 for tickets..so the revenue isn't all that exciting. merch is how bands survive.

Source: i was in two rise bands. we did a few VIP packages also. they were a great way for us to make extra gas money and the fans got an experience. and remember, they are paying for it willingly...there's really nothing wrong with this in my eyes. expensive and ridiculous? absolutely. morally wrong? absolutely not.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the insight. My biggest issue with this was the Kellin package/erasure of the rest of the band, so I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say about it.

Side note: "was in two rise bands?" Is In Fear & Faith still together?
08:30 AM on 08/14/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Kellin's family must be full. No way this was planned, but hey at least the money is going to a better place now.
11:54 AM on 08/14/13
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
hahaha he deserves credit. What a great save.
12:35 PM on 08/14/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
if it were the other way around you'd have a point, but he didnt deceive anyone using a charity front to make money

I see what you mean. I'm just saying, if you're selling something that benefits a charity... tell people that it benefits a charity right away, not a week or so later. From what I read, he defined the reasoning for the price as "I have a family to feed" not "This is for charity."

I haven't been following this completely the whole time, so I might be missing some details.
01:43 PM on 08/14/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
01:43 PM on 08/14/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
I see what you mean. I'm just saying, if you're selling something that benefits a charity... tell people that it benefits a charity right away, not a week or so later. From what I read, he defined the reasoning for the price as "I have a family to feed" not "This is for charity."

I haven't been following this completely the whole time, so I might be missing some details.
this.
12:30 AM on 08/15/13
DrewDooWop
User Info.
The people who were making a big of that package are ridiculous. No one is forcing fans to pay 80 dollars. They want to. Good that they found a cause for it, but it was just a good idea for making money, musicians kinda need those these days iunno thoughts.
12:36 AM on 08/15/13
DrewDooWop
User Info.
Nice save and I'm assuming this is the same kid from the reddit thread from earlier. But anyway, I'm not a fan of this band but I didn't think the package was that ridiculous. Tickets to shows of this size (electric factory an the like) typically cost 40 dollars to begin with. So the package really isn't ridiculously expensive when you consider it includes a ticket to the show as well. I think the backlash was more due to a misunderstanding and a general dislike for this band. Anyway I've seen bands that are far more well liked on this site and by me-Bayside and Anberlin are 2 examples- that have had far more ridiculous VIP fan packages (Anberlins was a bus tour for 100 dollars that didn't include a ticket to the show) but didn't get nearly the backlash
this.
12:08 PM on 08/16/13
ShayDe
User Info.
It's ridiculous he had to do this to save face but it's also awesome that it goes to a good cause now.
agreed man
07:26 AM on 10/23/13
CancerFunds
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How to Support a Friend Diagnosed With Breast Cancer. Be an open ear. Keep offering help. Join the national fight. The National Breast Cancer Foundation has a variety of ways to contribute, such as starting a fundraiser funding mammograms for women in need. http://CancerFunds.org/ Cancer Funds
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests