AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Airdate - Getting off the Ground Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Airdate - Getting off the Ground

Reviewed by: SomethingLikeTJ (06/11/08)
Airdate - Getting off the Ground
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 2007

Itís about this time every year that my CD player begins delivering me more upbeat messages of melody. Indie favorites are often replaced with pop-punk classics reeking of sentiment and nostalgia, if only for a moment. The fact remains that I rarely find a new addition worthy of taking part in this inevitable musical shuffle. Airdate may very well be that undiscovered band that quenches my fleeting thirst for clichť portions of catchy pop-rock.

On their most recent EP, rather bluntly titled demo 6 Songs, the band is most certainly not reinventing the wheel (or musical theory, for that matter), but as a sucker for power chords and jumpy-tempos, Iím okay with that. "Walking Alone" definitely stands out as the bandís catchiest song, but all are equally accessible and capable of being summertime radio hits. Give it time, and weíll be seeing Tyson Ritter introducing them, through slurred speech, at an MTV awards show.

Vocalist Doug Del Gaudio has an uncanny ability to write memorable, sing-along melodies. This, coupled with absolute consistency, helps to deliver an image of optimistic boyish innocence. Songs about girls havenít sounded this good since The Starting Line's Say It Like You Mean It. While "Better Days" and "Anything" seem to fall a little short, they give me great hope that a huge ballad isnít far off for this Long Island quartet. The choruses and structures are there, but these two in particular are lacking some sort of substance, that a bigger budget/producer will definitely be able to provide them.

While there isnít much to reiterate about this EP, it will proudly be holding its place as the lone CD-R demo in my carís collection for the summer. Airdate may not have found a more impressive place in mass media yet, but I sense them breaking through the barrier very shortly. Another 6 Songs, and Airdate just might be pop-rockís next big thing.

Recommended if You LikeMaking April, Ashley Parker Angel, The Starting Line

myspace.com/airdate

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
05:13 PM on 06/18/08
HolesInside
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm very happy and surprised that someone came out with a review of Airdate! I really like this band, nothing exceptionnal, just a very good and enjoyable listening experience! One of the best pop/rock band with a good potential!
My favorite songs by them are Everytime and For You.

Anyways excellent review SomethingLikeTJ! Thank you for the read!
03:30 PM on 06/24/08
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
catchy stuff
02:36 PM on 06/25/08
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
good review, but i don't think they have enough poppiness/catchiness to be put on a pedestal with Say it like you mean it.
i'm not sure what you've been listening to if you haven't heard better since then, but I guess, each person their own.
i liked your writing style as well.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News