Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
06:30 PM on 08/16/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of Macklemore?
Yep.
01:14 PM on 08/17/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
The problem I and many others have with Macklemore is exactly this-- a straight, white male is the voice of the queer community on the mainstream radio. There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get. That's why it's watered down-- it's not his experience to tell. He's not the first rapper to stand up for same-sex marriage, he's just one of the few that people are paying attention to. And when you look at his sexual orientation and skin color, it's easy to see why. He's the safe bet, the one the public can best relate to without having to think too much or delve deep into the issues. Straight people everywhere can put the lyrics to "Same Love" as their facebook status and pat themselves on the back for doing something for the LGBT community. Meanwhile, the real people, the real issues, are buried.

Man, that's as stupid as saying white people fighting for black rights in the sixties were irrelevant. If the ones who refused to accept something are the ones posting lyrics on Facebook, consider it a job well done.

Maybe he isn't saving the community, but its not like he's doing bad either. He's doing more good than most people.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS