Username
Password
Hip-Hop News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 112.
08:17 PM on 08/16/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
Victory Lap needs to be on Spotify
A friend of mine got him to write out lyrics to Victory Lap, and then he got them tattooed. It looks awesome.
08:17 PM on 08/16/13
JesseKilgannon
User Info.
Horrible, horrible fans. Watered down messages and music. Don't understand the appeal at all.
08:31 PM on 08/16/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Horrible, horrible fans. Watered down messages and music. Don't understand the appeal at all.
Well, his album is good as hell? That is the appeal, I'd say.

As for the fans thing everyone's bitching about. Yeah, that's how it was when Rise Against blew up initially. Worst concert experiences ever.
08:31 PM on 08/16/13
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Besides those gimmicky tracks like Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us (I guess) the album really does have some solid tracks- "Jimmy Iovine", for example, the beat is outstanding... I like him, whatever.
08:34 PM on 08/16/13
Elscorcho2008
User Info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWhx-CtPmBU

I cant see how people can call Macklemores messages "watered down" after hearing this song.
09:04 PM on 08/16/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
Watered down message? Seriously?

He's doing fantastic things for the gay community. Find me another artist who is played on the radio tackling the issue of homosexuality so directly.
09:39 PM on 08/16/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
A friend of mine got him to write out lyrics to Victory Lap, and then he got them tattooed. It looks awesome.
yo, i wanna see that~
09:44 PM on 08/16/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
yo, i wanna see that~
09:54 PM on 08/16/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
10:24 PM on 08/16/13
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
Album is really good. Not sure if I have the extra cash to drop on the new album though..
05:31 AM on 08/17/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Any top 40 artist has terrible fans. I think The Heist is fantastic.
07:37 AM on 08/17/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of Macklemore?
You're not alone. I respect that he is so successful and DIY, but I can't stand his music at all. He'll only be trendy for a little while but should have a strong core fan base for a while, but this is probably to cash in quick.

I heard him described as a white Pit Bull with a liberal message and i think that made the most sense to me. Of course that would get really popular. Beats are dope tho.
08:41 AM on 08/17/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
Watered down message? Seriously?

He's doing fantastic things for the gay community. Find me another artist who is played on the radio tackling the issue of homosexuality so directly.
The problem I and many others have with Macklemore is exactly this-- a straight, white male is the voice of the queer community on the mainstream radio. There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get. That's why it's watered down-- it's not his experience to tell. He's not the first rapper to stand up for same-sex marriage, he's just one of the few that people are paying attention to. And when you look at his sexual orientation and skin color, it's easy to see why. He's the safe bet, the one the public can best relate to without having to think too much or delve deep into the issues. Straight people everywhere can put the lyrics to "Same Love" as their facebook status and pat themselves on the back for doing something for the LGBT community. Meanwhile, the real people, the real issues, are buried.
09:01 AM on 08/17/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
The problem I and many others have with Macklemore is exactly this-- a straight, white male is the voice of the queer community on the mainstream radio. There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get. That's why it's watered down-- it's not his experience to tell. He's not the first rapper to stand up for same-sex marriage, he's just one of the few that people are paying attention to. And when you look at his sexual orientation and skin color, it's easy to see why. He's the safe bet, the one the public can best relate to without having to think too much or delve deep into the issues. Straight people everywhere can put the lyrics to "Same Love" as their facebook status and pat themselves on the back for doing something for the LGBT community. Meanwhile, the real people, the real issues, are buried.
EXACTLY
09:01 AM on 08/17/13
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
On the other hand - he's using his white, male, straight privilege to speak for the LGBT community and to be a strong and vocal ally. I feel like he's meeting the most important responsibilities of being an ally, and he's doing it from a huge platform. Sure, it'd be nice to see a queer artist get this much attention, but let's not make it out to be anyone's fault, especially not Macklemore's. I'm sure he recognizes your point and has thought a lot about it, but he's using his privilege in the best way possible.

(Also, he made it a point to include a queer guest vocalist in the chorus of "Same Love," so there's that at least.)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests