Username
Password
Hip-Hop News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 112.
09:14 AM on 08/17/13
Ben Lee
Gold light breaks behind the houses
User Info.
The problem I and many others have with Macklemore is exactly this-- a straight, white male is the voice of the queer community on the mainstream radio. There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get. That's why it's watered down-- it's not his experience to tell. He's not the first rapper to stand up for same-sex marriage, he's just one of the few that people are paying attention to. And when you look at his sexual orientation and skin color, it's easy to see why. He's the safe bet, the one the public can best relate to without having to think too much or delve deep into the issues. Straight people everywhere can put the lyrics to "Same Love" as their facebook status and pat themselves on the back for doing something for the LGBT community. Meanwhile, the real people, the real issues, are buried.
Who cares who it is or whether it's his experience to tell? At least it's being told, on a larger platform. My brother in-law is gay and my wife and I have supported the LGBT community in our area for quite some time. All I've heard is that they need a voice, they need a larger platform. Well here it is, at least in some form.

and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his uncle gay? I think that's absolutely enough insight to have a message. Whether you're straight or you're gay, what he did with that song was nothing but positive. Absolutely you're going to have people with their facebook status' and thinking they're really helping, but that's everywhere, with every issue. You can't hold Macklemore accountable for the actions of others.

If anything, I think you need to change your attitude. This is exposure, not only for him, but for the LGBT community as well.
09:21 AM on 08/17/13
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
Yo, that's fifty dollars for a record...
10:53 AM on 08/17/13
ZEZEtheX
in the FOBR jail.
User Info.
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of Macklemore?
I fucking hate "Am I the only one" questions. Of course you aren't.
11:36 AM on 08/17/13
alexxxisonfire
OneRecordPerDay.com
User Info.
Any top 40 artist has terrible fans. I think The Heist is fantastic.
preach
11:43 AM on 08/17/13
Star Slight
User Info.
The problem I and many others have with Macklemore is exactly this-- a straight, white male is the voice of the queer community on the mainstream radio. There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get. That's why it's watered down-- it's not his experience to tell. He's not the first rapper to stand up for same-sex marriage, he's just one of the few that people are paying attention to. And when you look at his sexual orientation and skin color, it's easy to see why. He's the safe bet, the one the public can best relate to without having to think too much or delve deep into the issues. Straight people everywhere can put the lyrics to "Same Love" as their facebook status and pat themselves on the back for doing something for the LGBT community. Meanwhile, the real people, the real issues, are buried.

This is dumb
11:47 AM on 08/17/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
11:54 AM on 08/17/13
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yo, that's fifty dollars for a record...

Hahaha
12:33 PM on 08/17/13
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Really dig this guy, actually seems like a decent human being in the rap game.
01:14 PM on 08/17/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

Man, that's as stupid as saying white people fighting for black rights in the sixties were irrelevant. If the ones who refused to accept something are the ones posting lyrics on Facebook, consider it a job well done.

Maybe he isn't saving the community, but its not like he's doing bad either. He's doing more good than most people.
01:20 PM on 08/17/13
JennaRossity
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There are so many queer artists who deserve the spotlight he has, to talk about their own issues in real terms and with real insight, and instead, this is what we get.
Soooooo kinda like the gay, female, independent singer/songwriter that was featured and credited on the song, and consequently given tons of public recognition?

People like you that hold this opinion that only certain people are good enough to speak on behalf of a cause really upset me. Was there this same public outrage when white people stood up with blacks in the civil rights era? It's supporting a positive thing, why should it be discouraged?
01:42 PM on 08/17/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
No one is saying that Macklemore is a bad person or is doing anything bad. That doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating seeing a straight white male as the beacon of gay rights in hip hop when there are lgbt artists who have their own perspectives. Again, no one is saying Macklemore has done anything wrong.
01:51 PM on 08/17/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
No one is saying that Macklemore is a bad person or is doing anything bad. That doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating seeing a straight white male as the beacon of gay rights in hip hop when there are lgbt artists who have their own perspectives. Again, no one is saying Macklemore has done anything wrong.
Which is why he had Mary Lambert due the guest vocals on Same Love.

The idea that you need to be gay to properly champion gay rights is mind-blowingly stupid.
01:58 PM on 08/17/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Which is why he had Mary Lambert due the guest vocals on Same Love.

The idea that you need to be gay to properly champion gay rights is mind-blowingly stupid.
That is a mind-blowingly stupid idea. It's also not what I said.

There is a difference between being a supporter of a cause and being the face of a cause
01:59 PM on 08/17/13
brokencyde
I regret making this my username...
User Info.
That is a mind-blowingly stupid idea. It's also not what I said.

There is a difference between being a supporter of a cause and being the face of a cause
He has never claimed to be anything but an ally. It's even in the damn song lmao
01:59 PM on 08/17/13
musicmakesme
@Clare_OShea
User Info.
Personally I think Victory Lap, Make The Money, Ten Thousand Hours and Neon Cathedral all had a strong message behind them? They really stuck out to me at least.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests