Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
01:33 AM on 08/19/13
rob18244
born and raised.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As a bit of a Mayerniac (the best I could do) I'm pretty blind as an objective critic of his work. I will say that this doesn't quite reach the (incredible) heights of Born & Raised, but still tickles most of the same parts of me that B&R did.

Waiting On The Day brings back memories of the first time I heard Born & Raised - the song - and is an early leader on the record for me.

My favourite thing about Mayer is that I could listen to 3x5, Walt Grace..., then onto Gravity through to Paper Doll and it all makes me feel something - no matter if that feeling's early 20s heartbreak or mid 30s self discovery. That's music, right?
08:36 AM on 09/25/13
rob18244
born and raised.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Okay, so we're a month or so in and I'm completely sold.

On The Way Home gets me every time, Badge and Gun has a beautiful, lone-wanderer sentiment that I can't get over, Waitin' On The Day is incredible. I see Mayer on 20th October in London - over three years since I last saw him thanks to cancelled UK tours, vocal issues etc - and I bank on it being the best show of my life.
08:37 AM on 09/25/13
rob18244
born and raised.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Battle Studies is my favorite JM record actually

I never understood the criticism of that record. Maybe it's because he'd made Continuum and people loved the bluesy soul of that record, then he departed those shores. But that's precisely what makes Mayer stand out. He'll have a shot, make the genre his own in 11/12 swift tracks, and move on.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos