AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
11:28 AM on 08/19/13
evilandgood
User Info.
As someone who absolutely misses the modern pop/RNB-lite Mayer perfected on Continuum and Battle Studies, "Who You Love" was a welcome addition.
11:51 AM on 08/19/13
evilandgood
User Info.
That song woulda felt massively out of place on Continuum IMO.
Hmmm I can definitely see your point, but I think his melodic and harmonic choices (especially favoring the 7ths and 9ths) are very reminiscent of the aforementioned albums, especially Battle Studies. I think it could play well with songs like "Half of my Heart."
02:24 PM on 08/19/13
evilandgood
User Info.
I think "Who You Love" is either Heavier Things or Born and Raised. It's not bluesy or ambitious enough for Continuum.

Agreed.

I could see it on "Battle Studies" as well ... but that's my least favorite JM album, so it kinda works -- since that's my least favorite JM song in a long while.

Lyrically, it's definitely my least favorite JM song in awhile also. But I am in love with that chorus, especially how he pivots away from the song's standard chord prog in the second half of the chorus.

And I know it's pretty much par for the course in John's case, but his guitar tone on that songs is to die for.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos