Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 75
02:12 PM on 08/19/13
IRodeTenSpeed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. I've always like John Mayer's singles but hearing Heartbreak Warfare a few years back made me a fan. Another solid album
02:15 PM on 08/19/13
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
That song woulda felt massively out of place on Continuum IMO.
Personally I think it's got the same sort of arrangements as Belief, I Don't Trust Myself and to lesser degree Slow Dancing...
02:17 PM on 08/19/13
JohnnyG1986
User Info.
It worries you? Why? You don't have to like the music an artist wants to make.
I'm always happy to see your support for JM on this site. How are you liking the album overall? I don't think it has the highs (Walt Grace) of Born & Raised, but I'm really enjoying every track on it. I Will Be Found is fantastic. Another solid album from a dude that never dissapoints.
02:27 PM on 08/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'm always happy to see your support for JM on this site. How are you liking the album overall? I don't think it has the highs (Walt Grace) of Born & Raised, but I'm really enjoying every track on it. I Will Be Found is fantastic. Another solid album from a dude that never dissapoints.
I really like it. I think B&R is better overall, but I like it more than Battle Studies right now.

I think it's a solid addition to his catalog, but has two of my least favorite songs (both the ones with guests) that he's had on an album in a while (since the song with Taylor Swift).

I just prefer an all John album ... especially when it's stripped down like this.
02:42 PM on 08/19/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
This looks poised to be John's worst album since RFS after listening to it 15-ish times. But considering the four albums in between, that's easily misleading, especially as this album's no less than the 8.5/10 it got here.
agreed. although I'd probably give it like an 8 just because I really don't like CMTB.
04:31 PM on 08/19/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
For me, Where the Light Is > Heavier Things > Continuum > Room for Squares > Battle Studies > Paradise Valley.

It worries me that this is the kind of music JM actually wants to make. He isn't lowballing anyone. He has always wanted to do more within the constraints of a pop melody. Quite frankly, Battle Studies seems like Continuum in comparison to Paradise Valley.

This post confuses me. I don't see why you should be worried about the music he wants to make. I would be more worried if Mayer was still writing albums like Room for Squares or Heavier Things. Don't get me wrong, I love both of those albums, but I think one of the greatest things about Mayer is that he hasn't been afraid to change his sound. If you don't care much for his folk sound, that's a bummer, but I don't think you have to worry about this being the kind of thing he spends the rest of his career making. He's shown that he likes crossing genre lines, and once he's done with this trilogy, I'm sure we will get a new direction out of him again.

If you're open-minded and excited, you'll get lots of new and interesting records from an artist you've liked for a long time. If you're constantly looking for another Continuum or Heavier Things, then you're going to be disappointed, not because he'll never make a record that sounds like that again, but because you have personal ties to those songs that a return to form isn't going to be able to replicate. Case in point in this situation is Battle Studies, which you don't seem to care for. That album may not have been Continuum, but it was pretty close to Heavier Things, and look how that turned out for most of his listeners? I personally adore that album, but I can understand why people didn't love it: it's the closest thing in his catalog to a step back.

Personally I think it's got the same sort of arrangements as Belief, I Don't Trust Myself and to lesser degree Slow Dancing...

Similar arrangement maybe, but not the same kind of song. "Belief" is an intense slow-burner, "I Don't Trust Myself" is a throwback, and "Slow Dancing" is a bitter break-up anthem. "Who You Love" is a breezy, poppy love song, much closer to "Half of My Heart" or Your Body is a Wonderland" than to anything on Continuum. Most of those songs just had higher stakes.

I really like it. I think B&R is better overall, but I like it more than Battle Studies right now.

I think it's a solid addition to his catalog, but has two of my least favorite songs (both the ones with guests) that he's had on an album in a while (since the song with Taylor Swift).

I just prefer an all John album ... especially when it's stripped down like this.

Completely agree with your last comment.
05:09 PM on 08/19/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
haha goddamn your reviews are always like thesis. not complaining but I gotta take a break usually halfway through to readjust my eyes haha

good review btw
07:55 PM on 08/19/13
starsinhand
User Info.
Great review, I agree 150% the guest vocals aren't bad by any means but they throw off the flow of album completely. I'm not a huge Katy Perry fan but I can't stand the end of who you love because it felt like they were trying too hard to sound playful and cute and then to follow that up with I Will Be Found makes no sense to me. I also thought Your No One was one of the best songs Johnny Cash never wrote but that's just me. It's a great album but doesn't come close to the impact that Born and Raised had on me. Great great review! Well done!
04:11 AM on 08/20/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Who You Love is my favorite track on the album, I'm surprised so many people are labeling it as mediocre and weak.
05:50 AM on 08/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
haha goddamn your reviews are always like thesis. not complaining but I gotta take a break usually halfway through to readjust my eyes haha

good review btw

Haha, laughed out loud at the first sentence. Thanks Drew, glad you come back to read the rest.

Who You Love is my favorite track on the album, I'm surprised so many people are labeling it as mediocre and weak.

I'm surprised anyone is putting it anywhere but at the bottom of their rankings. It's a fine song, but lyrically, the rest of the record is in a completely different league.
06:05 AM on 08/20/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Like Craig said, it's really weak compared to most of the record, especially lyrically. That chorus is as weak as a john Mayer chorus can be.
07:17 AM on 08/20/13
Vince Early
Size The Day
User Info.
The last three songs on this album are jams. Great review.
09:32 AM on 08/20/13
promisemedan
User Info.
Haha, laughed out loud at the first sentence. Thanks Drew, glad you come back to read the rest.

I'm surprised anyone is putting it anywhere but at the bottom of their rankings. It's a fine song, but lyrically, the rest of the record is in a completely different league.
Everyone should put Frank Ocean's "Wildfire" on the bottom way before they put "Who You Love" there.
09:45 AM on 08/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Everyone should put Frank Ocean's "Wildfire" on the bottom way before they put "Who You Love" there.
Well that's true. But the two should go together.
09:54 AM on 08/20/13
a nice person
Copeland fan level: Lotus bundle
User Info.
I really like "Who You Love", don't understand the hate

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT