|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
One of my favorite books is The Iliad. Achilles is a central character in The Iliad and represents a lot of what the whole text is about. I think what it comes down to for me, is that Achilles was always fighting his pride and desire to be eternally remembered. I think a lot of people are that way, including myself. At a crucial spot in the story, Achilles is approached by a god and offered two options after he is sent for by the Greek army to go to war with Troy. The god offers him either a simple, long life at home with his family, but no fame, or an inevitable death during the war, but immortality in fame. He chooses fame. I think a lot of us would make that choice too. My music doesn't represent that story, but as a songwriter and performer, I can identify with that story. That's where the name comes from..
2. How did this band get started?
It started in my bedroom with a bunch of demos and as a complete solo project. It continues to function that way for the most part, but now I am lucky to have a band -- fantastic musicians that I am lucky to get to work with.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Cass McCombs, Dylan, The Beatles, Antony & the Johnsons, D'Angelo, Bradford Cox, Kurt Vile, Lennon, Dan Bejar, Big Star, The Dovers, Sufjan, Mike Hadreas, Phil Elvrum, LCD SS, the list goes on...
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would want to tour with Dylan, mostly just to see what it was like. I would love to go on tour now with Destroyer. He makes records I never get tired of, so I imagine the monotony of touring wouldn't be that bad. Plus, you gotta learn somewhere, so why not from someone who seems to know what they're doing?
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Don't know yet. Will be able to tell you this September!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
They should listen to it if they are drawn to it and it means something to them.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
This is a hard question! All I can say is definitely not Lance Armstrong.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My folks and all the people that have given their time and effort to me.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
There would be less rude people, and you could get paid for working hard.
10. Memorable tour experience?
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a great spot to hear about new bands that aren't already famous.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I like playing songs from other bands. It's just fun to learn parts and imitate something you know is great. The most fun song to play was called 'Little Girl,' by Spiritualized.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I don't really like vacations. I prefer my bedroom!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Brian McKnight, Janet Jackson, TLC... My parents always took away my cd's, so I would sneak into my sister's room and listen to her cd's, which meant mostly I was listening to girl r&b of the 90's. I dig it though.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Another tough question. Ya know, if you have a superpower, aren't you obliged to use it? Like, if somehow I became nearly invincible, I'd have to fight crime or evil or something, right? I think I'd go for flight... or more realistically, a healthy self confidence. I'd take either.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Nope. Just lose my appetite.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I think I like movie trailers more than movies.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Oh gosh, no way. Radio is just about money. If you have money, you can get on the radio. If you don't, you can't. These days, radio is just a way to keep rich music business people rich and poor artists poor. It's working, but that's okay with me. How would you feel if, all your life, your success was based off of the new Miley Cyrus or Nickelback record? I'd rather feel good about my work.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to read and write. I also like to exercise and cook. I don't like being comfortable. Anything other than sitting still!
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Maybe basketball skills? My dad was very athletic, so I inherited some of that. I was also way too good at video games growing up. Though, I think my lack of practice has removed the talent aspect from those categories. I'm more of a Rudy kind of guy, you know?
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |