Username
Password
We Shot the Moon News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
We Shot the Moon
Inside AP.net

We Shot The Moon Start Kickstarter For Album

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (08/20/13)
We Shot The Moon have started a Kickstarter to help fund their new album.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:11 AM on 08/20/13
SlyZ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
About time. I hope this will be better than Love And Fear...A Silver Lining is a pure classic for me.
11:23 AM on 08/20/13
rob_mylo
@itstherobster
User Info.
I will definitely back.

Love Jonathan Jones
11:25 AM on 08/20/13
antiradio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
looking forward to new music - will definately support
02:04 PM on 08/20/13
narnar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How many Kickstarters is this guy gonna do?
02:20 PM on 08/20/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
absolutely outrageous, look at their expenses- they have to buy a Neumann mic for 4k? they can't rent it for the session? the costs are inflated to the max. god damn this trend is horrible
03:20 PM on 08/20/13
wstmjon
User Info.
How many Kickstarters is this guy gonna do?
Did you happen to notice on my page that it said "final" we shot the moon kickstarter?
03:24 PM on 08/20/13
wstmjon
User Info.
absolutely outrageous, look at their expenses- they have to buy a Neumann mic for 4k? they can't rent it for the session? the costs are inflated to the max. god damn this trend is horrible
Did you happen to notice the total cost of what I wanted to raise and what I set my goal at? Also, not sure how much you know about recording or how much you know about what I'm actually trying to do.. I'm building a studio so I don't have to continue to use KS to fund my projects. The neumann mic will be the flagship of this studio and embodies like 4-5 other mics that I won't have to get. You may like to think I'm "gaming" the system, but I'm actually just thinking about the next 20 years and how I can be sustainable and put out quality music for my fans. I take it you won't be supporting my kickstarter :)
03:44 PM on 08/20/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you happen to notice the total cost of what I wanted to raise and what I set my goal at? Also, not sure how much you know about recording or how much you know about what I'm actually trying to do.. I'm building a studio so I don't have to continue to use KS to fund my projects. The neumann mic will be the flagship of this studio and embodies like 4-5 other mics that I won't have to get. You may like to think I'm "gaming" the system, but I'm actually just thinking about the next 20 years and how I can be sustainable and put out quality music for my fans. I take it you won't be supporting my kickstarter :)
lol @ asking fans to fund your studio (with NEUMANN mics no less) - man that's good.
05:36 PM on 08/20/13
Cerascape
User Info.
Love On was a great cd, really looking forward to what will come of this! backed.
04:52 AM on 08/21/13
matthewisobel
User Info.
Your most recent record "Love On" was fantastic and if you are kickstarting to get equipment to make more quality music like that release, count me in. I have always been a fan of Waking Ashland and We Shot the Moon, my favourite being "Silver Lining". Don't worry about what people say about the costs of building the best studio, what you produce as an artist equates to far more than "money" in life.
06:00 AM on 08/21/13
Upstart
User Info.
lol @ asking fans to fund your studio (with NEUMANN mics no less) - man that's good.
"Oh shit, I asked a dumbass question that already had an answer - since the answer is, in fact, the whole point of the Kickstarter - so let me be dismissive when I'm called out on it."

There you go, translated that for you!
06:36 AM on 08/21/13
harryCane
Fighter of the Night Man
User Info.
I too think it's getting out of hand with bands guilt tripping fans into over-paying for an album pre-order, or else their favorite artist won't release any new music. I assume in most cases the artist would make their record either way, with or without crowd funding.

Having said that, I appreciate Jon for having the foresight to fund a career rather than an album. It's not uncommon to use kickstarter to fund your business. A recording studio is no different to me. And the pledge tiers are more than reasonable in my opinion ($35 for 4 albums, even $1000 for album production). If you don't like it, don't back it. I probably will.
07:10 AM on 08/21/13
therealtruth
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Almost every "project" on Kickstarter turns into a business with a goal to make more money. I've seen tons of projects from water filters, led light bulbs to smart watches. You think these people are just going to stop once they produce a few light bulbs or watches for their backers? No. They want to blow up their idea to be as massive as possible.

If people are donating $100 just for an led light bulb that they can turn on with their phone then all is fair in love & crowdfunding. Let's be real. That's a ridiculous price for a light bulb. But every dollar is needed to make that business have a fighting chance. Every naysayer, like yourself, is just jealous that people won't give YOU money to be creative. So, then guys like you go on here and complain just because you know a few expensive microphone brands.

It's also funny that suddenly there is this great moral dilemma that fans are now "over-paying" for music and getting screwed. You can't be screwed if you're the person who decides to give money. Musicians never decide to have their songs downloaded illegally, they're always getting screwed.

Let's be real. You've never had a fan otherwise you'd understand. Nobody wants to give you money accept for the $7.25 an hour you trade for your time. This upsets you. You then go online and moan about it. So every time you complain on this site your words are simply pointing out your own frustration as a disgruntled human who lacks the balls to start a successful creative outlet.

Ap.net should ban all people complaining about those who generously give their money to musicians. It's these people who still give music some value. It's these people that make this site able to sell some ad's and generate their own source of living. Nothing goes round in this business without someone paying for music to be made. It all starts with an expensive studio, some music, some music sites and then ends with your nonsense BS complaining about it.

And ironically, it's those generous people that will fund the albums that these crowdfunding naysayers will eventually go steal on pirate bay. In the end, it only helps everyone.
02:04 PM on 08/23/13
monokit
Twiddling knobs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Totally depends which Neumann but a lot aren't simply for rent, at 4k he's probably looking at a vintage U87 which you will not get for rent. He could however, purchase several of their other models for that inflated price. Don't hold your breath. One does not simply buy recording gear and become a good engineer or producer. I could buy a formula one car tomorrow but I won't be a racecar driver. Kickstarters are foolish.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums