Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts
07:41 AM on 08/26/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
This is one of your best reviews, I think, although I think the album is better than a 70 (score doesn't matter I know). Their first EP was good, but this one's even better.

Thanks! Haha it's definitely something...I think they still have a little fine-tuning to do, almost exclusively on the vocals, and then I could totally see them right next to a band like Seahaven.
01:13 PM on 08/26/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Yeah, musically and lyrically this thing is sound.
08:33 PM on 08/26/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Good review! Other than one of their vocalists having a lot of rasp on his higher end I don't see the vocal comparison to Jon Simmons at all. Jon has a definite Jeff Mangum whine, and a the majority of his melodies are quite mono-tone and simplistic while Captives on the other hand don't have much whine and their melodies are all over the place. I like the dual vocals a ton, it adds a whole different feel to their music. Captives obviously has a ton of room to grow, so I'm stoked to see them progress.

Thank you! I don't think the comparison is always there, but at times I did find it very similar. I definitely think they're on the right track to something bigger.
08:34 PM on 08/26/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I hope these guys get huge and start touring damnit.

Ps. You have the wrong band website listed.

Oh man! Thanks!
09:50 PM on 08/27/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Personally, I don't hear the Balance & Composure comparisons all that much. I definitely agree that there's an influence of B&C int the style of music, but not much else, it's much more subtle than I think you mentioned in your review, fans of that band will 100% be into this, I just don't think they should be lumped in as an imitator, they have their own sound imo.

Listening to their first EP and then this one, they're miles apart. The production on this is killer and you can hear how much progression has been made from their previous release. This album slays, more people need to know about them and they need to tour soon, I bet they're awesome live.

I definitely wouldn't lump them in as an imitator...I just think the influence is fairly apparent, as with Brand New's (especially on "Squander"). They certainly have their own sound, but I think it still has a little progress to make...doesn't make it bad. Everybody's gotta take steps to get to where they want to be.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos