Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 1 posts.
09:59 AM on 08/23/13
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
Great review of the music dude, but the Indiana part really bums me out. Though I'm not sure where you lived, I can guarantee you weren't searching hard enough for the music. Its commonly accepted that NWI (northwest Indiana) is far different from the rest of the state, and there has always been a strong DIY/punk scene and presence there.

However, the rest of the state is loaded too! In your ten years you would have had Saints Never Surrender in Ft. Wayne, Away with Vega and Rodeo Ruby Love in Marion/Grant County (my home), In the Face of War (close friends of Native) in Kokomo, husband&wife in Bloomington, and even Mock Orange at some points down south. Keep in mind that these are only the "leader" bands of the scenes I'm most familiar with here. I left out Indianapolis intentionally, because there has been and continues to be a wonderful music community there for all genres.

As a musician who has played in bands for a third of my life, it is so disheartening to see my home state dismissed as backwards and not worth a second look. Our music scenes may not be as booming or high profile as the ones in neighboring or eastern states, but there is still a ton of talent here. The three bands from Indiana that have gotten notice in this community in recent years all share members and are from NWI. It would be nice to see the whole state looked at a bit more - there may not be a lot of us, but we always try to give as much thanks as we can when bands tour through the Midwest and decide not to go over (or under) us.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums