Password

Album Review

The Box Tiger - Set Fire Album Cover

The Box Tiger - Set Fire

Reviewed by
The Box Tiger - Set Fire
Release Date: August 06, 2013
Record Label: Nice Friends/Cardinal White
What the hell are you even listening to? Okay Iím the first to admit that a lot of the music I listen to isnít what people would traditionally consider; ďgoodĒ. I very often like nasally off key teenagers who suck at guitar singing about girls. Itís just so relatable, you could feel the emotion! But with The Box Tigerís debut album I can finally prove to everyone that I actually listen to good music.

These dudes never seem satisfied to sit still. With drummer Marcus Cipparrone, it feels like he is constantly itching for the next chance to insert a slick fill. While Jordan Stowell on the guitar and bass provides consistently evolving lines that sound like you were born knowing but are just now remembering. And oh, thereís the lead singer Sonia Sturino.

Sturino has an incredible range. Itís not so much that she can hit a wide range of notes but more that she never sounds the same from song to song. She goes from sounding like a singer-songwriter in "Hospital Choir", applying a tiny bit of vibrato on the final lines to sound like sheís right in your living room to belting a catchy indie rock anthem ready for a packed arena in the very next track.

Every song gets in, does its job and then what feels like almost too soon gets out. Itís the opposite of a dense listen, often leaving you salivating for some more. This is an album with tracks that youíre going to want to revisit, sometimes immediately after finishing it. Itís not the type of catchy where youíll want to wait to sing the hook; itís the type of catchy where you will want to imitate every sound possible with your mouth.

I guess thereís a possibility that you donít really enjoy indie rock but in todayís music scene I canít imagine there isnít at least one band within your tastes that fits the description. Or maybe The Box Tiger can be that band. All I know is that once my ears got a hold of Set Fire, it became something that I craved. Something no other album could quite satisfy. And most of all, itís good.

Recommended if you like Metric, Florence + The Machine, Broken Social Scene, Little Big League

Bandcamp; Official Website; Facebook
This review is a user submitted review from JamieTheSonger. You can see all of JamieTheSonger's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:38 AM on 11/10/13
lostintheair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
also RIYL land of talk

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles