AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Steve Aoki / Linkin Park Using Stolen Software for...

Posted by: Jack Appleby (08/23/13)
Here's something interesting. In promoting their collaboration "A Light That Never Comes," Steve Aoki and Linkin Park released a teaser video that appears to show the use of a pirated version of Lennar Digital's Sylenth 1 software. Unique Squared has an opinion piece & evidence on the issue, outlining several possible outcomes from the situation. Does it bother you that financially-stable musicians are still stealing the software that helped them become successful? Does it not matter?

Update: Steve Aoki has addressed the concerns via his blog, where he shows proof of purchase and explains the pirated software.
However, the honest truth is that screenshot is in fact of my road laptop (the laptop I DJ with). I go through 5 or 6 of them a year, usually purchasing them while on the road. After my last purchase, I had asked my road team to help me load in my production software and apparently they didnít ask Jacob for the authorization code for Sylenth and installed a pirated version.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 63
02:00 PM on 08/23/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
02:01 PM on 08/23/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i personally would be more shocked if it was paid for, I don't think ive ever met a musician who paid for sylenth
02:25 PM on 08/23/13
loveisamixtape
Observer
User Info.
i know a lot of big producers that have pirated ableton and sylenth as well so i'm not surprised
02:26 PM on 08/23/13
sergioisevil
User Info.
I personally know about half a dozen DJ who use stolen software - mainly Abelton. I'm sure it's a common practice. I'm not saying it should be freeware, but some music production software is absurdly priced.
02:36 PM on 08/23/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Seems like people constantly complain about the price of the software...but these people are literally making their livings through the software... so...
02:45 PM on 08/23/13
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
Seems like people constantly complain about the price of the software...but these people are literally making their livings through the software... so...
For smaller producers, I understand. If you are hurting to get started, then yes, it makes sense to use what's available to you, and sometimes that means using pirated software. However, Aoki is not exactly hurting for cash being in the top 10 highest paid DJ's. You need to take a step back and realize that you owe your success to their software, and you should pay for it.

It's kind of similar to music. I can understand pirating an album if it's something you are on the fence about. If you listen to it, it doesn't catch your attention, delete it and don't bother. If you like it, buy it.
02:50 PM on 08/23/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For smaller producers, I understand. If you are hurting to get started, then yes, it makes sense to use what's available to you, and sometimes that means using pirated software. However, Aoki is not exactly hurting for cash being in the top 10 highest paid DJ's. You need to take a step back and realize that you owe your success to their software, and you should pay for it.

It's kind of similar to music. I can understand pirating an album if it's something you are on the fence about. If you listen to it, it doesn't catch your attention, delete it and don't bother. If you like it, buy it.
That's what I love about that blog I linked - they actually address the "pay for software when the music pays for it" mentality...which almost never happens. I always hear about those mythical people who pirate albums, then pay for it if they like it...except, I never actually meet people who do that.
02:51 PM on 08/23/13
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.

This.
02:51 PM on 08/23/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Well I steal their music sometimes. So fair enough they steal software sometimes
02:55 PM on 08/23/13
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
I'm not too familiar with the software in question, or Steve Aoki for that matter. Linkin Park probably have the money to spend to buy it, and I'm pretty sure I've heard enough about Steve Aoki to image he could spring for it, so, I guess it's a little weird.
03:03 PM on 08/23/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
I'm not too familiar with the software in question, or Steve Aoki for that matter. Linkin Park probably have the money to spend to buy it, and I'm pretty sure I've heard enough about Steve Aoki to image he could spring for it, so, I guess it's a little weird.
He's rich enough. He's one of those DJs who pocket millions to play a summer in Ibiza
03:05 PM on 08/23/13
Fourchordwonder
This whole thing was unstoppable
User Info.
Steve Aoki is high profile enough that I imagine he could email any music software company and say, "Hey, I want to use your software for my music. I'll even show myself using it in a video where I collaborate with another high profile artist," and every single one of those companies would send him a license for the software in a second. Why would he not just do that?
03:07 PM on 08/23/13
IRodeTenSpeed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's what I love about that blog I linked - they actually address the "pay for software when the music pays for it" mentality...which almost never happens. I always hear about those mythical people who pirate albums, then pay for it if they like it...except, I never actually meet people who do that.

Hi nice to meet you! That mythical creature does exist
03:09 PM on 08/23/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Steve Aoki is high profile enough that I imagine he could email any music software company and say, "Hey, I want to use your software for my music. I'll even show myself using it in a video where I collaborate with another high profile artist," and every single one of those companies would send him a license for the software in a second. Why would he not just do that?
Good point!
And then say on twitter "just used so and so software, awesome!!"
Etc etc
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT