Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts.
07:03 AM on 08/27/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Really excited to hear the proper album.
08:29 AM on 08/27/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Me thinks once you guys hear the proper record, your worries will dissipate. Though the Telegraph Sessions are great, it's the album versions that reeled me in. I didn't receive my advance until after "Swing Set" and "Burn Pile" released, and I found myself loving both songs more after having the album versions.
Yeah, I'm definitely expecting that.
04:52 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Waves crushes this album.
04:55 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
you are clearly in the minority here. i really hope you know that.
I do. I don't understand it but I know it.
04:59 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i mean, you dont have to agree with something to understand. you cant possibly understand why someone would prefer this to waves? at all? i can try and give you my take if you really dont
Honestly I don't. I'd love to hear why though, might even open my eyes to some things I'm not getting about this one.
05:09 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
the problem i had with waves is how samey it sounded to me, not only throughout the course of the album but in relation to other bands in the scene, and yes, i think the thrice comparison is about as apt as it gets. which you may personally think isnt a fair comparison. but i also disliked the screaming parts as well, and this album goes for a much softer, laid back sound that makes the bigger parts, like the end of "seasonal," hit with that much more impact. i also think the songwriting, in terms of melodies and harmonies and also song structures, are more interesting than they were on waves. there's a lot more nuance here. its also shorter and more to the point, i think waves is a bit long and i got bored with it pretty quickly into the album.

like i said, you dont have to agree, but just knowing where im coming from could maybe help you understand a different viewpoint. in any case, discussion is always healthy.
Yeah, it actually does help see a different viewpoint. I think the main reason I loved Waves was because it was something I actually didn't have much of, I love music like that and I didn't have anything else that sounded like it that year and I don't really enjoy Thrice so I don't have them to listen to. Plus I loved the screaming, I think he's much better at that then he is at singing and I think the biggest problem I have with this record is that the vocals seem so lifeless for most of it and I'm generally a more vocal focused listener. Also, I actually didn't know this album was shorter than Waves because it feels longer to me, there's not that much difference though looking at it. I think we just have opposing views on what we enjoy about the band and it seems I do with most fans of the band, haha.

At least I can see where other people are coming from though, thanks.
01:33 PM on 09/11/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i guess i have to eat my words. i like this album a lot. i just needed time to adjust to this new sound, especially after listening to Waves quite a bit recently.

That isn't something i would do for most bands, but MM have a special place in my musical heart. But I am glad I kept with it, even though I still believe that albums shouldn't take work to like. Calling something a "grower" just means you aren't man enough to not like it. But as hypocrisy is my favorite pasttime, I guess I'll say that's what this album is. And also, that riff at the end of "Seasonal" is phenomenal.
Some of my favourite albums ever were growers so I'm glad I wasn't man enough to not like them, haha.
02:28 PM on 09/11/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i don't know. i believe music is immediate. the things that i tend to like the most are the things i like right away. that's not always the case, but usually is.

and i should say, i wasn't speaking in generalities. that is just my belief. everyone listens to music differently and should be allowed to do so.

i'm glad you kept trying too, it's never bad to like MORE music than less.
Yeah, it's just never been that way for me. It's the exception that is immediate. For example 2 out of my top 3 albums of all time didn't interest me much on first listen and I wrote my second favourite band off as only having one good song for years.
05:01 AM on 09/12/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i'd be interested to know who all of those bands are haha!
Haha, well my second favourite album is My Chem's first album which I thought was just badly recorded noise the first time I heard it, I only really got into it after Black Parade came out, years after I fell in love with Revenge. Third favourite album is by a metal band called Kamelot who I just thought were boring outside of one song I was obsessed with, I only listened to them more actually because my friend would play the album all the time and it grew on me, now I can't imagine disliking any part of it. My second favourite band is Fightstar who first started putting music out in 2005 which I thought sucked besides one song I was really into and I would just check them out again every now and then to see if they were better than I remembered and I never really liked them until one day I just did, then I ended up loving pretty much everything they'd ever done.

I think most of the music I like is like this at least in some way, these are just the biggest examples of it. It's why I find it so difficult to find new stuff sometimes because so much of it is just "oh that was nice" on first listen. I think I'm getting better at it though but even this year my aoty at the moment is an album I expected might make the back end of my top 30 when I first heard it, thought it was nice but wasn't blown away at all. I guess people just work differently, I've always wished I was a bit more immediate though, it would make things simpler.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums