loveisamixtape
Observer
User Info.
agreed
02:06 PM on 09/09/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I get a John Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) vibe from the vocals. Especially in "Hands" - Wondering if you can hear it too
I for sure hear it - not in Hands but Eastern Leaves and Hudson yeah.
03:11 PM on 09/09/13
Mailbox Rumor
User Info.
Yeah, Waves is definitely much better and way more diverse. This album is still great in it's own merit but I don't see myself going back to it often. I still listen to Waves and Pneuma on the regular.
04:39 PM on 09/09/13
Deathco_019
She calls it a mayon-egg.
User Info.
This album crushes Waves. Love it.
04:51 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
I get a John Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) vibe from the vocals. Especially in "Hands" - Wondering if you can hear it too
had the same exact thought and thought i was crazy. i especially hear that in "seasonal"
04:52 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Waves crushes this album.
04:54 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Waves crushes this album.
you are clearly in the minority here. i really hope you know that.
04:55 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
you are clearly in the minority here. i really hope you know that.
I do. I don't understand it but I know it.
04:57 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
I do. I don't understand it but I know it.
i mean, you dont have to agree with something to understand. you cant possibly understand why someone would prefer this to waves? at all? i can try and give you my take if you really dont
04:59 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i mean, you dont have to agree with something to understand. you cant possibly understand why someone would prefer this to waves? at all? i can try and give you my take if you really dont
Honestly I don't. I'd love to hear why though, might even open my eyes to some things I'm not getting about this one.
05:04 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Honestly I don't. I'd love to hear why though, might even open my eyes to some things I'm not getting about this one.
the problem i had with waves is how samey it sounded to me, not only throughout the course of the album but in relation to other bands in the scene, and yes, i think the thrice comparison is about as apt as it gets. which you may personally think isnt a fair comparison. but i also disliked the screaming parts as well, and this album goes for a much softer, laid back sound that makes the bigger parts, like the end of "seasonal," hit with that much more impact. i also think the songwriting, in terms of melodies and harmonies and also song structures, are more interesting than they were on waves. there's a lot more nuance here. its also shorter and more to the point, i think waves is a bit long and i got bored with it pretty quickly into the album.

like i said, you dont have to agree, but just knowing where im coming from could maybe help you understand a different viewpoint. in any case, discussion is always healthy.
05:09 PM on 09/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
the problem i had with waves is how samey it sounded to me, not only throughout the course of the album but in relation to other bands in the scene, and yes, i think the thrice comparison is about as apt as it gets. which you may personally think isnt a fair comparison. but i also disliked the screaming parts as well, and this album goes for a much softer, laid back sound that makes the bigger parts, like the end of "seasonal," hit with that much more impact. i also think the songwriting, in terms of melodies and harmonies and also song structures, are more interesting than they were on waves. there's a lot more nuance here. its also shorter and more to the point, i think waves is a bit long and i got bored with it pretty quickly into the album.

like i said, you dont have to agree, but just knowing where im coming from could maybe help you understand a different viewpoint. in any case, discussion is always healthy.
Yeah, it actually does help see a different viewpoint. I think the main reason I loved Waves was because it was something I actually didn't have much of, I love music like that and I didn't have anything else that sounded like it that year and I don't really enjoy Thrice so I don't have them to listen to. Plus I loved the screaming, I think he's much better at that then he is at singing and I think the biggest problem I have with this record is that the vocals seem so lifeless for most of it and I'm generally a more vocal focused listener. Also, I actually didn't know this album was shorter than Waves because it feels longer to me, there's not that much difference though looking at it. I think we just have opposing views on what we enjoy about the band and it seems I do with most fans of the band, haha.

At least I can see where other people are coming from though, thanks.
05:11 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Yeah, it actually does help see a different viewpoint. I think the main reason I loved Waves was because it was something I actually didn't have much of, I love music like that and I didn't have anything else that sounded like it that year and I don't really enjoy Thrice so I don't have them to listen to. Plus I loved the screaming, I think he's much better at that then he is at singing and I think the biggest problem I have with this record is that the vocals seem so lifeless for most of it and I'm generally a more vocal focused listener. Also, I actually didn't know this album was shorter than Waves because it feels longer to me, there's not that much difference though looking at it. I think we just have opposing views on what we enjoy about the band and it seems I do with most fans of the band, haha.

At least I can see where other people are coming from though, thanks.
anytime. just a matter of different views of the band, like you said. i havent listened to waves in a bit so i may need to revisit now that ive got your thoughts fresh on my mind. see if anything clicks.
05:50 PM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I think I'm in the most minor of minorities.

Self-titled > Waves = New Light.
05:50 PM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.

All of that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums