Username
Password

Album Review - Page 7
Displaying posts 90 - 105 of 107.
05:01 AM on 09/12/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
i'd be interested to know who all of those bands are haha!
Haha, well my second favourite album is My Chem's first album which I thought was just badly recorded noise the first time I heard it, I only really got into it after Black Parade came out, years after I fell in love with Revenge. Third favourite album is by a metal band called Kamelot who I just thought were boring outside of one song I was obsessed with, I only listened to them more actually because my friend would play the album all the time and it grew on me, now I can't imagine disliking any part of it. My second favourite band is Fightstar who first started putting music out in 2005 which I thought sucked besides one song I was really into and I would just check them out again every now and then to see if they were better than I remembered and I never really liked them until one day I just did, then I ended up loving pretty much everything they'd ever done.

I think most of the music I like is like this at least in some way, these are just the biggest examples of it. It's why I find it so difficult to find new stuff sometimes because so much of it is just "oh that was nice" on first listen. I think I'm getting better at it though but even this year my aoty at the moment is an album I expected might make the back end of my top 30 when I first heard it, thought it was nice but wasn't blown away at all. I guess people just work differently, I've always wished I was a bit more immediate though, it would make things simpler.
07:31 AM on 09/13/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Waves crushes this album.

Absolutely agree with this and your other comments. This new CD isn't bad music but I find it to be too mellow and uneventful for my tastes. Waves had great diversity and was more gushing with its emotion - which is more my style. This is their worst release IMO.
07:36 AM on 09/13/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
the problem i had with waves is how samey it sounded to me, not only throughout the course of the album but in relation to other bands in the scene, and yes, i think the thrice comparison is about as apt as it gets. which you may personally think isnt a fair comparison. but i also disliked the screaming parts as well, and this album goes for a much softer, laid back sound that makes the bigger parts, like the end of "seasonal," hit with that much more impact. i also think the songwriting, in terms of melodies and harmonies and also song structures, are more interesting than they were on waves. there's a lot more nuance here. its also shorter and more to the point, i think waves is a bit long and i got bored with it pretty quickly into the album.

like i said, you dont have to agree, but just knowing where im coming from could maybe help you understand a different viewpoint. in any case, discussion is always healthy.

This is a sound view of the album but just don't look down on those of us (such as myself) who don't care for their new stuff. The lack of screaming is definitely a minus in my book (not that everything I listen to is aggressive) but regardless what is going on here isn't engaging enough to match MM's prior efforts. Seems like music to be listened to while slightly high or just to have playing in the background - which isn't what I wanted from MM.
08:39 AM on 09/13/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
This is a sound view of the album but just don't look down on those of us (such as myself) who don't care for their new stuff. The lack of screaming is definitely a minus in my book (not that everything I listen to is aggressive) but regardless what is going on here isn't engaging enough to match MM's prior efforts. Seems like music to be listened to while slightly high or just to have playing in the background - which isn't what I wanted from MM.

Where in the fuck are you getting me looking down on those who aren't into the new stuff?
08:44 AM on 09/13/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Where in the fuck are you getting me looking down on those who aren't into the new stuff?
Phrased it a bit wrong, but people here have a tendency (not necessarily you) to belittle those who don't agree with them that these new, calmer revisions of certain bands are not as good as they once were.
08:48 AM on 09/13/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Phrased it a bit wrong, but people here have a tendency (not necessarily you) to belittle those who don't agree with them that these new, calmer revisions of certain bands are not as good as they once were.
Wasn't belittling anyone. Just having a discussion with someone to get a new perspective on this band
10:05 AM on 09/13/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
My pre-order still hasn't come......fuck me.
11:14 PM on 09/13/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
I had never heard this band before this album, but I loved this enough to purchase their previous stuff and was astonished by the difference, they hold their own as albums too me, but I prefer this new one over Waves thus far when I heard them both for the first time in a single day. I like soft, pretty music though, so that's just me.

My only critique about Waves is that I felt it dragged on a bit at times, I still like that style of music a lot also.

Outsiders opinion from a new fan.
05:59 AM on 09/14/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
This record is really beautiful.
01:29 PM on 09/15/13
Bananahamic22
User Info.
this album is beautiful i love hands so much
01:20 PM on 09/16/13
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
It's like The New Frontiers never even left. This album is so great!
06:53 PM on 09/18/13
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
I can't lie--this album bored me to death. Was a HUGE fan of their other releases. But this is just very, very stale.
08:05 PM on 09/18/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
Disagree. Have you listened to it just once? Because Apsides may be the best song they've ever written.
10:42 AM on 09/25/13
circasurprise90
User Info.
I love the mood of this album. its beautiful. different from waves but I like that.
09:02 PM on 10/03/13
sticky_114
User Info.
Several weeks after this release...I suddenly realize how much I'm going to miss this band. Fantastic record.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests