AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Canada News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Canada
Inside AP.net

New Fees Make It Even Harder For International Bands...

Posted by: Deborah Remus (08/28/13)
The Calgary Herald has written an excellent article explaining the new fees that will need to be paid if international artists want to book Canadian tours. Unfortunately these new regulations will greatly impact many of the bands covered on this website. A petition has been created and you can sign it if you're interested.
“If I have a one four-member American band at the Palomino, I’m looking at $1,700 Canadian just to get them on the bill — and that’s on top of paying out a sound tech, paying for posters, gear rental, paying the other bands, staffing,” Brown says, explaining there have been tweaks to the LMO in the past, but nothing this drastic or, in his eyes, damaging.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
11:42 AM on 08/28/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Wow, that's a bummer for you Deborah. $1,700? Christ.
11:43 AM on 08/28/13
ssteveohh
User Info.
ouch
12:00 PM on 08/28/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Yeah, Winnipeg usually gets shafted when it comes to tours... but almost NO ONE is coming here in the fall and I guess this is the reason why. Unless you're a big band that can draw hundreds upon hundreds of people, you're probably going to be playing a bar. Even The Wonder Years played a bar when they were here back in June. Off With Their Heads would have played a bar if they were allowed across the border last November. Broadway Calls played a cafe/restaurant when they were here in April. Old Man Markley played a bar back in June, Scorpios played a bar in July, I could go on and on, but I won't. The point is that cracking down on smaller bands/clubs while giving a break to huge bands that rake in tons of money is stupid, just as the article states.

And in some ways I can understand the counter argument, which is that we should continue to support Canadian artists. I was actually quite disgusted that not a lot of people seemed to know or care about Living With Lions when they opened for New Found Glory in Winnipeg back in May. But on the other side of the argument, I hope some of those people became Living With Lions fans that night, that the show gave them some much needed exposure. And I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wouldn't abandon my favourite Canadian bands just because American bands played more shows here.

And as the writer that wrote the piece has mentioned on his Twitter, you should consider getting in contact with an MP or Jason Kenney himself if these new rules disgust you. I'm also posting this here on AP.net because I want to give exposure to this issue. Obviously I'm a firm believer that Canada is a great place to tour and I'd like to see things change.
12:11 PM on 08/28/13
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Someone told me Real Friends made $1850 at a show in Canada, but I don't know if that's true. But it is true that American bands ask for a higher guarantee in Canada. A show with one or two touring bands here is all too often 10-13 bucks even if it's a show 50 people show up to. Montreal has started to get shows recently which is good as I know the city is really pushing the live arts scene (although punk and its subgenres aren't really a focus here), and I know Toronto and Ottawa do well, but i can't imagine how awful it is to get a band somewhere "remote" like Edmonton or Saskatoon or something.
As for Deborah's point about LWL not being popular here, I think it's a catch 22. Canadian bands can't break in the US because of the border issues. Taste makers are most often American, and the websites Canadians read that cover music are usually American. So Canadians are checking out American publications who are (understandably) ignorant to what's going on in Canada, meaning Canadian bands have a hard time breaking in Canada. If LWL were from Philly or something, they would be one of the biggest pop punk bands around.
12:18 PM on 08/28/13
Fringe
highfive
User Info.
fuck me
12:21 PM on 08/28/13
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not Canadian, but being from Indiana, which is about as B market as it gets in the US, I completely understand the pain. Very few tours come through here. Some people say Chicago is close enough, but that's 6 hours away from me, so we're talking a hundred bucks for gas, my ticket, and food. Not including hotel if I don't wanna drive back home.
12:23 PM on 08/28/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Not shocked. Our northern neighbors can be quite protectionist when it comes to going out of their way to give domestic artists, bands, tv/movie productions and authors an advantage over their foreign competition. Hell, the canadian government almost blocked Target from expanding into Canada over concerns they weren't going to stock the required quota of canadian made movies, records and books in their stores (http://www.ctvnews.ca/investment-can...arget-1.792408)
12:26 PM on 08/28/13
punchedbyagirl
blaremagazine.com // Josh
User Info.
Yeah, Winnipeg usually gets shafted when it comes to tours... but almost NO ONE is coming here in the fall and I guess this is the reason why. Unless you're a big band that can draw hundreds upon hundreds of people, you're probably going to be playing a bar. Even The Wonder Years played a bar when they were here back in June. Off With Their Heads would have played a bar if they were allowed across the border last November. Broadway Calls played a cafe/restaurant when they were here in April. Old Man Markley played a bar back in June, Scorpios played a bar in July, I could go on and on, but I won't. The point is that cracking down on smaller bands/clubs while giving a break to huge bands that rake in tons of money is stupid, just as the article states.

And in some ways I can understand the counter argument, which is that we should continue to support Canadian artists. I was actually quite disgusted that not a lot of people seemed to know or care about Living With Lions when they opened for New Found Glory in Winnipeg back in May. But on the other side of the argument, I hope some of those people became Living With Lions fans that night, that the show gave them some much needed exposure. And I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wouldn't abandon my favourite Canadian bands just because American bands played more shows here.

And as the writer that wrote the piece has mentioned on his Twitter, you should consider getting in contact with an MP or Jason Kenney himself if these new rules disgust you. I'm also posting this here on AP.net because I want to give exposure to this issue. Obviously I'm a firm believer that Canada is a great place to tour and I'd like to see things change.
This is likely why Toronto doesn't have a date on The Chariot's farewell tour and it wouldn't be surprising to see this continue, even in spots like TO, Montreal and maybe Vancouver. Not every venue is terrible, but some owners will take merch sales to cover "expenses" if they don't make a profit off the bar and that won't leave a band much if they're driving around in a van. It'll be interesting to see how this affects The AP Tour, the Rockstar tours and even Vans Warped Tour.

I definitely agree with you Deborah and I think people should pay more attention to Canadian artists but I also feel like the music scene is still stuck in a few genres. Punk/hardcore/alternative just isn't what it used to be in bigger markets north of the border because electronic/indie rock has become more mainstream. I also think it has to do with bigger music cities being so far away from each other. I'd love to check out shows in Montreal, B.C. and Winnipeg on a monthly basis but the cities are so spread apart compared to going to shows in NY, Philly and Cleveland.
12:27 PM on 08/28/13
Fringe
highfive
User Info.
This is terrible. As a small band, one of the main ways we have gained new fans has been by playing with mid-range US bands like Set It Off and I the Mighty. Guaranteed those guys won't be showing up anymore with these kind of expenses.
12:30 PM on 08/28/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Someone told me Real Friends made $1850 at a show in Canada, but I don't know if that's true. But it is true that American bands ask for a higher guarantee in Canada. A show with one or two touring bands here is all too often 10-13 bucks even if it's a show 50 people show up to. Montreal has started to get shows recently which is good as I know the city is really pushing the live arts scene (although punk and its subgenres aren't really a focus here), and I know Toronto and Ottawa do well, but i can't imagine how awful it is to get a band somewhere "remote" like Edmonton or Saskatoon or something.
As for Deborah's point about LWL not being popular here, I think it's a catch 22. Canadian bands can't break in the US because of the border issues. Taste makers are most often American, and the websites Canadians read that cover music are usually American. So Canadians are checking out American publications who are (understandably) ignorant to what's going on in Canada, meaning Canadian bands have a hard time breaking in Canada. If LWL were from Philly or something, they would be one of the biggest pop punk bands around.

I think it's interesting you say punk isn't really a focus in Montreal, just because of Pouzza Fest, haha. I'm pretty sure I'd rather go to that than the Fest in Florida, hoping to fly out in 2014 if I can.

And yeah I agree with what you say about LWL and it applies to almost all Canadian bands. There's this pop-punk band from Winnipeg called Kids & Heroes and it blows my mind that they're not huge yet. But at the end of the day, it's basically due to exactly what you just typed. There's not a lot of people pushing Canadian content, I don't even know how many people are supposedly staff on this site now but Eda and I are the only Canadians. I try to do what I can to promote our bands, but there's so much stuff and I know it gets lost in the mix most of the time.
12:36 PM on 08/28/13
Fringe
highfive
User Info.
I think it's interesting you say punk isn't really a focus in Montreal, just because of Pouzza Fest, haha. I'm pretty sure I'd rather go to that than the Fest in Florida, hoping to fly out in 2014 if I can.

And yeah I agree with what you say about LWL and it applies to almost all Canadian bands. There's this pop-punk band from Winnipeg called Kids & Heroes and it blows my mind that they're not huge yet. But at the end of the day, it's basically due to exactly what you just typed. There's not a lot of people pushing Canadian content, I don't even know how many people are supposedly staff on this site now but Eda and I are the only Canadians. I try to do what I can to promote our bands, but there's so much stuff and I know it gets lost in the mix most of the time.
Even our "giant" bands that are constantly on the radio like Marianas Trench can hardly get a following in the United States. It's a pretty daunting task for groups that are even smaller.
12:56 PM on 08/28/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
This is really too bad. As some of you know I am a huge Canada fan and hope to become a citizen someday so it is disheartening to see more barriers being put in place of cultural exchanges. Although CAN and US are the 2 closest nations in the world in terms of general culture and economies, I will always maintain the stance that Canada has a more unique and present cultural spread than the US and that needs to be observed. That said, I do wish silly barriers such as these fees, international fees with postage, and separate Canadian and American music releases (ie; Marianas Trench) need to be lowered down. It's only making things unnecessarily difficult.
01:06 PM on 08/28/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
This seems very unnecessary.
01:06 PM on 08/28/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
This is likely why Toronto doesn't have a date on The Chariot's farewell tour and it wouldn't be surprising to see this continue, even in spots like TO, Montreal and maybe Vancouver. Not every venue is terrible, but some owners will take merch sales to cover "expenses" if they don't make a profit off the bar and that won't leave a band much if they're driving around in a van. It'll be interesting to see how this affects The AP Tour, the Rockstar tours and even Vans Warped Tour.

I definitely agree with you Deborah and I think people should pay more attention to Canadian artists but I also feel like the music scene is still stuck in a few genres. Punk/hardcore/alternative just isn't what it used to be in bigger markets north of the border because electronic/indie rock has become more mainstream. I also think it has to do with bigger music cities being so far away from each other. I'd love to check out shows in Montreal, B.C. and Winnipeg on a monthly basis but the cities are so spread apart compared to going to shows in NY, Philly and Cleveland.

I agree about the distance, it's definitely a huge barrier and it makes really touring difficult, though not impossible.

I can't speak for other cities in Canada, but I think 2013 is the best year for local punk music in awhile and definitely the best year since Smallman Records officially closed its doors. The main problem is just getting people to care about it, haha. And Canadian bands are still coming through to a certain extent, I am excited to see Single Mothers here on Friday.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests