Username
Password
Property of Zack News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Property of Zack
Inside AP.net

POZ Discussion: Major Shifts In Sounds

Posted by: Drew Beringer (08/28/13)
PropertyOfZack has posted a new Discussion on 'Major Shifts In Sounds' from bands in our scene (think: Catalyst to Coming Home, Your Favorite Weapon to Deja, etc.). What are some of your favorite or least favorite changes in sound for bands?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
03:37 PM on 08/28/13
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I am severely disappointed in bands that have a heavy sound who water it down as they get more popular to appeal to a wider audience, thereby alienating the core fanbase. See: Saosin.
03:38 PM on 08/28/13
jasonmeowz
Infinitycat
User Info.
every AFI record.....
03:41 PM on 08/28/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Living Well is the Best Revenge -> Forget What You Know
03:41 PM on 08/28/13
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
YFW to Deja wasn't that major though...
03:51 PM on 08/28/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
YFW to Deja wasn't that major though...
I'd argue Deja to Devil or Devil to Daisy were much bigger jumps, but I guess for a write up it must be a whole lot easier to explain the change from "immature to serious" of the first two than the actual musical evolution (abandoning the typical genre half-step down tuning for standard in order to have more options as far as key, etc.)

I also honestly don't think The Maine had such a sound shift... I think they just grew up/became serious, and if they did, the change to Pioneer or the change from the original EP were much bigger as well.

If I had to throw in a few more, I'd say Dashboard, and Hellogoodbye as two of the more extreme changes. Dashboard is debatable in wether it was for the better or worst, but it was one of the more bold moves to go full band when he was so well known for his brand of acoustic heart-on-sleeve songs, and Hellogoodbye was one of the most quality, out of left field transformations for a band. I don't think anybody remembered they existed until WYKM was released and the band was taken seriously again.
03:55 PM on 08/28/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
All the Moving Mountains albums.

And War All the Time through No Dev. by Thursday.

And Cursive's Domestica to present by Cursive by Cursive
04:12 PM on 08/28/13
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Propagandhi's Less Talk, More Rock to Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes and present
04:49 PM on 08/28/13
markymarkmac
User Info.
I feel like Jimmy Eat World from Bleed American to Futures was pretty awesome. Not exactly a huge departure or anything, but the albums are very separate in my opinion.
04:57 PM on 08/28/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
I feel like Jimmy Eat World from Bleed American to Futures was pretty awesome. Not exactly a huge departure or anything, but the albums are very separate in my opinion.
True. Agreed.
05:01 PM on 08/28/13
An H Chord
User Info.
The Artist In The Ambulance to Vheissu and What it is To Burn to Say Hello To Sunshine come to mind as ones I really like. Also, not part of the "scene" but there's always a shift in sound when it comes to each Chili Peppers record.
05:04 PM on 08/28/13
timorous_me
http://www.PunksInVegas.com
User Info.
Get Up Kids "Something to Wrote Home About" to "On a Wire" and Promise Ring "Very Emergency" to "Wood/Water" are the first ones to come to mind.
05:20 PM on 08/28/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Least Favourite: This Will Destroy You's self titled to Tunnel Blanket
05:42 PM on 08/28/13
markymarkmac
User Info.
I also think its really interesting that there are a bunch of bands that I really wish wouldn't have changed their sounds (I would kill for another album that felt like The Used selftitled) but there are other bands that I love more and more with each departure (Brand New and Jimmy Eat World).
06:07 PM on 08/28/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Brand New is a pretty obvious one, but the second one that comes to mind is definitely Hellogoodbye. Can't wait to see what this new record holds.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests