Username
Password
Exclusive News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 69.
02:37 PM on 08/30/13
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
Yeah, they should have brought a choir on every tour to sing that 15-second snippet
Or they could just let the choir of 1000 raving fans sing it.

uhg
02:43 PM on 08/30/13
bakin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is that the same Shane Todd in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_kVx3i378

I get that (if done) it's done post-recording, but you'd have to make a real good case that the vocals in this song aren't pitch corrected like a mother.
02:46 PM on 08/30/13
ARo2431
User Info.
I can get down with this feature. Glad it's college football season and baseball playoffs are around the corner. Love the fall.
03:22 PM on 08/30/13
ShaneSilverstein
Silverstein / Shane Told
User Info.
Is that the same Shane Todd in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_kVx3i378

I get that (if done) it's done post-recording, but you'd have to make a real good case that the vocals in this song aren't pitch corrected like a mother.

We've never used autotune live ever.

That is from the 10 year anniversary live DVD and nothing was replaced on that recording. In fact, since we played our entire discography up to that point we made some mistakes and that's why we had to pick and choose which songs because some guitars were a bit out of tune or vocals way off. However, the mixer did put effects on things in post and yes it sounds to me like he used melodyne and compression and maybe even overdrive. I don't know what he did but I think a live record is different than a live show since it will be played over and over repetitively.
03:51 PM on 08/30/13
ben mears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if music can be "altered/fixed" in the studio for a record, why can't it be altered/fixed when playing live? seriously, are any vocals from ANY band not tampered with for a record? there are probably very few singers in the rock scene who have untouched vocals for albums. and it shows, because time and time again most singers from rock groups cannot sing worth a damn live.

i definitely don't agree with it, but why is one considered acceptable and another not?
03:58 PM on 08/30/13
Filthy Esquire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Aaron Marsh used to do sing with nothing on his voice. But I never really looked into that.
04:13 PM on 08/30/13
torres
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What good is speaking out if you're not going to name any names? Let's expose every single one of these types of acts that are getting in the way of real musicians.
05:10 PM on 08/30/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
That excalated quickly. Anyway, stoked to read what's coming next. Shane always seemed like a cool guy and I love Silverstein. well done ap!
05:54 PM on 08/30/13
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
if music can be "altered/fixed" in the studio for a record, why can't it be altered/fixed when playing live? seriously, are any vocals from ANY band not tampered with for a record? there are probably very few singers in the rock scene who have untouched vocals for albums. and it shows, because time and time again most singers from rock groups cannot sing worth a damn live.

i definitely don't agree with it, but why is one considered acceptable and another not?
Because they are fundamentally different things. A performance is supposed to exhibit the talent of the artist to deliver on their craft outside of a studio - otherwise, you'd just listen to the album. Musicians who pantomime their performance are cheating the audience out of the experience they came to receive. Would you be happy if you went to see a world famous ballet troupe perform and found out later that they were holograms?
06:03 PM on 08/30/13
soadjaeger
User Info.
First band to pop into my head was I see stars. I don't understand why bands do this, as a concertgoer I don't want a perfect performance; I can just listen to a cd for that. Instead, I want to hear the band sounding like actual human beings which adds emotion and realness to the performance
06:51 PM on 08/30/13
PerfectChaos337
User Info.
What I'm curious about:

Do the people in these bands usually write and record the parts that are being backtracked? No, right? I can't see why they'd backtrack them if they actually knew the parts.

If they did, then, why backtrack them? As a guitarist myself, I think it would take way more effort to fake like I'm playing something than to just actually play it.

I've never seen one of these bands live, (save for ISS, but I was a million miles away). Do these dudes (I mean that in general, not specifically ISS), when faking it, have any concern for the position of their hands/notes they're "playing"? No, right?

Just trying to get a view of both sides of the "faking it" spectrum.

-I guess there's the "our label put us together because we're attractive and someone else wrote all this shit I've never learned a note of"

-and then there's "I wrote this shit but would rather dance around than play it".

(?)

I'm sure a few bands fall in between. I guess it's also possible that you can write cool parts but just not play to drums/a click/play tight live, but that's sort of a poor excuse...

This whole thing is just silly, and I agree with the posts saying that it would be cool to publicly name these bands/make it well known.
07:14 PM on 08/30/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
We've never used autotune live ever.

That is from the 10 year anniversary live DVD and nothing was replaced on that recording. In fact, since we played our entire discography up to that point we made some mistakes and that's why we had to pick and choose which songs because some guitars were a bit out of tune or vocals way off. However, the mixer did put effects on things in post and yes it sounds to me like he used melodyne and compression and maybe even overdrive. I don't know what he did but I think a live record is different than a live show since it will be played over and over repetitively.
Nice article man as I'm a big fan of both sports and music. Look forward to more from you. And while you're in here, awesome new record. Probably my favorite of the year so far.
07:40 PM on 08/30/13
An H Chord
User Info.
I think Aaron Marsh used to do sing with nothing on his voice. But I never really looked into that.
Another is Dallas Green.
10:30 PM on 08/30/13
IRodeTenSpeed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Coheed is my favorite band, and they did this on their last tour. It was backing vocals and some other effects. Not a fan of it. I wanted to hear how songs that had a lot of different effects translated live, but they just took those effects, played them, and let the band play some other tracks on top live. Almost sounded TOO much like the studio versions. As far as vocals, drums, 2 guitars and 1 bass goes, all those were being played.

Really? I saw then live before Afterman:Ascension dropped and they were great and no backing tracks. That's really disheartening to hear.
10:33 PM on 08/30/13
IRodeTenSpeed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Would you guys consider vocal harmonies on the back track to be too far?

Nah because most bands have to work HARD to nail those in the studio, let alone live. Not trying to hear someone butcher 2-3 part harmonies
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests