Merch_Mike
retired merch guy
User Info.
great read!
01:15 AM on 08/31/13
specialeds281
Every word Handwritten.
User Info.
great read. looking forward to more form this column. I would rather see a band suck live and own it...then fake it with backing tracks. If I wanted to see musicians fake it, I could see any number of top 40 artists live. I remember back in 2003 when the used were on tour. Bert's vocals were so piss poor live...but it was still bad ass. Same with seeing buddy from senses fail back in the day. But the rawness of it all made up for the lack of perfection. And as for pro sports, I think they need to crack down further. Its not fair to the real athletes that train clean. Maybe there should be a separate league for cheaters...people would pay to see home runs that go 500+ feet. Just as while pretty much everything on the radio would be fake live...they still sell out arenas.
02:51 PM on 08/31/13
ttmessick
User Info.
All I could think about was that I'd be totally cool if the Used backtracked screams during live performances.
07:11 AM on 09/01/13
Viva Sonata
gooberplex.tumblr.com
User Info.
Name of this article should be "You Got Told."
09:13 AM on 09/01/13
foisol
EST 1986
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I understand why musicians don't want to burn bridges or incite drama, but maybe the solution to this problem is to start "naming names."
*cough* Breathe Carolina *cough*
05:03 PM on 09/01/13
marsvoltamcr
Registered Member
User Info.
I really like I See Stars' music, but every aspect of their performance at Warped this year seemed so uninspired and forced. The headbanging and stage antics looked rehearsed.

And does Crown The Empire really do the same thing? I haven't seen them yet, but if it's true that totally kills my interest in ever seeing them.
09:03 AM on 09/03/13
GazzaAoA
Get Fucked!
User Info.
Issues...
I worked a show a while back and they had a sound guy with his own mixing board on the side of the stage.
Although there was some vocal performance, the guitars/bass as well as some of the vocals were tracked.
It was embarrassing to see kids going so crazy for such sham artists.
I'm not doubting Tyler Carter's abilities, as he's a fantastic singer and I'm sure the rest of the band are good in their own right, but how fucking lazy and careless do you have to be to track your songs live?
Ridiculous, if you ask me...but maybe I'm a purist.
02:22 PM on 09/03/13
Viva Sonata
gooberplex.tumblr.com
User Info.
We've never used autotune live ever.

That is from the 10 year anniversary live DVD and nothing was replaced on that recording. In fact, since we played our entire discography up to that point we made some mistakes and that's why we had to pick and choose which songs because some guitars were a bit out of tune or vocals way off. However, the mixer did put effects on things in post and yes it sounds to me like he used melodyne and compression and maybe even overdrive. I don't know what he did but I think a live record is different than a live show since it will be played over and over repetitively.
Someone just got TOLD.
06:03 PM on 09/04/13
CoopDawg
Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy!
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT