Username
Password
Round-Up News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Round-Up
Inside AP.net

Australian Music Round-Up (09/01/13)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (09/01/13)
Head to the replies to read this week's Australian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:44 AM on 09/01/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Ben and Sam for putting this together.

Australian Music Round-UpNEWS

New Melbourne quartet Freak Wave have signed to Poison City Records. The band features members of Kill Whitey, Blueline Medic and A Death In The Family and will release their self-titled debut EP on 12” vinyl through the label on October 14. You can watch the video for the track Deep Burn here and check out pre-orders here.

Eleventh He Reaches London have released a second track from their upcoming third album Bānhūs (click here for pre-orders). Take a listen to Body Unbind here. The band have also announced some dates in support of the release which you can find below. Bānhūs is slated for an October 4 release through Hobbledehoy.

We can expect new music from Miles Away in 2014 according to a recent update by the band. The Perth outfit have booked studio time with Jay Maas (Defeater) in February to work on the follow-up to 2010’s Endless Roads.

Gossling will release her debut full-length Harvest Of Gold on November 1 through Dew Process/Universal. Take a listen to first single Never Expire here.

John Mayer’s Paradise Valley has debuted at #1 on the ARIA Albums Chart this week, narrowly beating out Avenged Sevenfold’s Hail To The King at #2. Check out the full Top 50 here.

The 2013 Meredith Music Festival has officially sold out, with all tickets being snapped up within four minutes of going on sale.

Parkway Drive are set to release a book entitled Ten Years Of Parkway Drive on September 27. Compiled and edited by Callum Preston, the book contains hundreds of never before seen photographs along with magazine covers, posters and recollections from the band themselves. Check out a preview here.

Lo! have recruited Sam Dillon (Snakes Get Bad Press) as their new vocalist. Dillon replaces former frontman Jamie-Leigh Smith who departed the band in July. The band released their second album Monstrorum Historia earlier in the year.

Like...Alaska have announced a free hometown reunion show for September 5. The event will take place at Newcastle’s Hamilton Station Hotel and sees the band revisit the venue where they played their first show some seven years ago. The band is of course scheduled to perform at the already sold out Sunday show of next week’s Weekender festival at Melbourne’s Reverence Hotel.

Papa vs Pretty will release their second album White Deer Park in February 2014. First single My Life Is Yours will be released September 15 and you can check out a trailer here.

If you’ve got a spare 20 minutes up your sleeve, check out Local Resident Failure’s Kye Smith performing a marathon drum cover medley spanning the entire Epitaph Records discography here.

A new Grim Fandango track entitled Too Punk To Drive has hit the web and can be heard here. The song comes from the band’s upcoming second album Flicker Noise, which will see a September 16 release through Poison City.

Lucy Wilson’s new 7” EP Full To The Brim is now available for pre-order and stream here. Wilson will be appearing at the Weekender acoustic show on September 7 with newly announced headliner Cory Branan, Ribbons Patterns, Pinch Hitter and Nathan Seeckts.

The upcoming Hits And Pits Festival tour will split for one night only on Wednesday November 20 with simultaneous shows happening in Newcastle and Wollongong. Newcastle’s Cambridge Hotel will play host to Boysetsfire, Bad Astronaut, Snuff and Off With Their Heads whilst Wollongong’s Unibar will be taken over by Black Flag, No Fun At All, The Ataris, Good For You and Jughead’s Revenge. Tickets for both shows are available now.

Melbourne’s Clowns have released the first taste of their upcoming album I’m Not Right. Take a listen to You’ve Got The Curse here. I’m Not Right is due for release via Poison City on October 10 with a national tour in support recently announced which you can find below.

Perth’s The Novocaines have released their new single Don’t Wait via bandcamp. Check out the stream (with free download) here.

The Sydney World Beard Day event scheduled for September 7 (headlined naturally by The Beards) has been moved from the Annandale Hotel to the Manning Bar due to unscheduled building works. All tickets are still valid for the new venue.

Brisbane metal act Aversions Crown have released a teaser for new single Hollow Planet which you can watch here. The single is set for an official release September 15. The band will be heading out on tour with Oceano and Feed Her ToThe Sharks in October.

Newcastle hardcore act Deadtown Nothings (ex-The Dead Walk, The Exiled) have added a second guitarist in Darcy Rice (Caverns, Inhale The Sea). The band are currently writing for a new record due later in the year.

TOURS

AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS

Adalita (Magic Dirt) has announced a national tour in support of her upcoming second solo venture All Day Venus. She’ll be joined on all dates by Melbourne’s Laura Jean. Tickets are available from September 2.

03/10 - Grace Emily, Adelaide [18+]*
11/10 - Barwon Club, Geelong [18+]
12/10 - Karova Lounge, Ballarat [18+]
13/10 - Corner Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
17/10 - Transit Bar, Canberra [18+]
18/10 - Annandale Hotel, Sydney [18+]
19/10 - Great Northern, Byron Bay [18+]
24/10 - The Zoo, Brisbane [18+]
25/10 - Kings Beach Tavern, Caloundra [18+]
26/10 - Coolangatta Hotel, Gold Coast [18+]
01/11 - Republic Bar, Hobart [18+]
*Laura Jean not appearing.

Eleventh He Reaches London’s Bānhūs national tour shapes up as follows.

05/10 - The Bakery, Perth [18+]
10/10 - Tempo Hotel, Brisbane [18+]
11/10 - Hermann’s Bar, Sydney [18+]
12/10 - Evelyn Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
13/10 - Crown & Anchor, Adelaide [18+]

Here’s the full list of dates for Clowns’ extensive national tour in support of new album I’m Not Right.

11/10 - Karova Lounge, Ballarat [18+]
12/10 - Crown & Anchor, Adelaide [18+]
18/10 - Public Bar Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
25/10 - Yahoo Bar, Shepparton [18+]
26/10 - Dive Bar, Geelong [18+]
31/10 - Phoenix Bar, Canberra [18+]
01/11 - The Lab, Wollongong [18+]
02/11 - Riverfest, Moruya [AA]
06/11 - Prince Of Wales, Bunbury [18+]
07/11 - Newport Hotel, Fremantle [18+]
08/11 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]
09/11 - Blood Rock Festival, Perth [18+]
14/11 - Royal Oak, Launceston [18+]
15/11 - Brisbane Hotel, Hobart [18+]
16/11 - House Show, Hobart [AA]
22/11 - Hamilton Station Hotel, Newcastle [18+]
23/11 - Black Wire Records, Sydney [AA]
29/11 - Shark Bar, Gold Coast [18+]
30/11 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
01/12 - 4ZZZ Carpark, Brisbane [AA]

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS

Due to For The Fallen Dreams vocalist Chad Ruhlig sustaining an injury in a recent motorcycle accident, For The Fallen Dreams are now unable to make it to Australia. As a result, The Plot In You will now headline the tour with Storm The Sky and Fit For A King still in support. This has resulted however in a number of venue changes and ticket refunds. The tour now shapes up as follows.

11/09 - YMCA HQ, Perth [AA]*
12/09 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]*
13/09 - Fowler’s Live, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
14/09 - Invasion Fest, Melbourne [AA]
14/09 - Bang, Melbourne (NEW) [18+]
15/09 - Masonic Hall, Wodonga (NEW) [AA]
18/09 - The Basement, Canberra [18+]
19/09 - Hot Damn, Sydney (NEW) [18+]
20/09 - Studio Six, Sutherland (NEW) [LIC/AA]
21/09 - Thriller, Brisbane [18+]
22/09 - Invasion Fest, Gold Coast [AA]
*Storm The Sky and Fit For A King not appearing.

Dance Gavin Dance are on their way back in November for a national tour to coincide with new album Acceptance Speech. The band will be supported on all shows except Perth by Melbourne’s Built On Secrets and tickets are on sale now.

08/11 - Bald Faced Stag, Sydney [LIC/AA]
09/11 - Thriller, Brisbane [18+]
10/11 - Tall Poppy Studios, Brisbane [AA]
13/11 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]*
14/11 - Enigma Bar, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
15/11 - Evelyn Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
17/11 - Phoenix Youth Centre, Melbourne [AA]
*Built On Secrets not appearing.

After their one-off appearance at Splendour In The Grass earlier in the year, The National have announced their return down under for a full run of dates in February 2014 on the back of their latest album Trouble Will Find Me. Sydney has already sold out with tickets for Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane shows going on sale September 3 and Perth tickets available from November 12.

06/02 - Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide [18+]
08/02 - Opera House Forecourt, Sydney [18+]
09/02 - Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne [18+]
11/02 - Riverstage, Brisbane [18+]
14/02 - Belvoir Amphitheatre, Perth *Perth Festival* [18+]

The first acts for 2014’s edition of Bluesfest have been announced. The five day fest will take place at Tyagarah Tea Tree Farm and will play host to John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, John Butler Trio, Erykah Badu, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Iron & Wine, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Devendra Banhart, Moorcheeba, Gary Clark Jr, KT Tunstall, Allen Stone, Nikki Hill and Valerie June with many more acts to be announced. Tickets are on sale now.

CLIP OF THE WEEK

Gold Coast indie outfit Fairchild released a video this week for the track Dancer. The song comes from the band’s 3-track debut EP which you can listen to in its entirety here.

Contributors: Geology Rocks! and BennyNova
09:51 AM on 09/01/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Is Vance Joy as popular in your country as I've been led to believe? Just wrote a piece about him in the local alt-weekly I work for, haha. Guess he's touring across Canada this month.
05:53 PM on 09/01/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
So keen on a John Mayer sideshow
05:54 PM on 09/01/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Is Vance Joy as popular in your country as I've been led to believe? Just wrote a piece about him in the local alt-weekly I work for, haha. Guess he's touring across Canada this month.
Never heard of him/them up on til a song called riptide. Got some radio rotation this month. It's pretty good
06:01 PM on 09/01/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
It depends on who you ask. He's popular in some crowds, and unknown in others. People know him by music rather than by name.
06:38 PM on 09/01/13
dumpweed41
User Info.
Never heard of him/them up on til a song called riptide. Got some radio rotation this month. It's pretty good
I think Triple J's started playing Play With Fire over the last week or so (unless they have been for ages and I've missed it), so commercial radio'll probably pick that one up soon. I don't think touring with Fanning's gonna do much for him though.
07:09 PM on 09/01/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

It depends on who you ask. He's popular in some crowds, and unknown in others. People know him by music rather than by name.

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression, that "Riptide" became this popular single. I guess the EP is released in North America this Tuesday through Atlantic, a little curious to see how it goes over.
03:02 AM on 09/02/13
parker_mysterio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://freshnelson.bandcamp.com/

My band from AU has just released 2 tracks plus pre orders for our EP. For fans of B&C, Defeater and Pianos Become the Teeth
05:05 PM on 09/02/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
If your band has any news they'd like to submit, or you think we've missed something.

Please email me

Please include source link, and the bands Facebook, Myspace, Bandcamp and/or Twitter.

If it relates to an already released album or a pre-order, please send a purchase link such as iTunes, Bandcamp, JB Hi Fi or the bands official store, we will NOT accept free file sharing links.

If it is your band, all of the above still applies.

If it is your band and you have no source link, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
12:40 AM on 09/03/13
parker_mysterio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If your band has any news they'd like to submit, or you think we've missed something.

Please email me

Please include source link, and the bands Facebook, Myspace, Bandcamp and/or Twitter.

If it relates to an already released album or a pre-order, please send a purchase link such as iTunes, Bandcamp, JB Hi Fi or the bands official store, we will NOT accept free file sharing links.

If it is your band, all of the above still applies.

If it is your band and you have no source link, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Hey man will shot you an email now, cheers!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests