Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
07:43 AM on 09/03/13
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Quote:
Simply put, this record already feels timeless. I rarely feel that way about such a new release, but with this debut album, The 1975 have left quite a footprint. This album is what pop music should be. This album is what indie-pop should be. It’s what the radio should play. The album really has no genre, as the band would rather break genre barriers and erase the labels.
This. Hopefully it will wake up radio listeners from their musical stasis.
08:24 AM on 09/03/13
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I think calling it timeless at this point is a bit of a stretch this early in. And I think it's contradictory of you to have said this is genre-bending while constantly saying through your review that there are a ton of good pop songs in this. Speaking of, I still don't get that comment of how this is what "good pop music" should be made of. I get that this has a lot of pop sensibilities, but I have a hard time swallowing this as pop. Could be a cultural thing though, maybe a lot of local pop music over here is just so different from this that I can't imagine this alongside most of pop music. But hey, that's just a nitpick on definitions and fences, it's not that big of a deal.

I also said this in the podcast thread, but I don't get all the praise for "Robbers." It's just okay, but there are a lot of far better songs on this album. Idk, maybe it just takes a few more listens for it to really sink in.

Still, talking in circles about genre definitions aside, I agree with you that this is a pretty great album. Two listens haven't given me that "Oh shit, this album is fantastic" feeling yet (could be I hyped this up too much), but I did enjoy this album quite a bit. I really want this band to blow up because I love their vibe so much.

That's ironic, considering radio is what introduced me to this band.
You are the exception to the rule, my friend.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums