AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 101.
08:29 AM on 09/03/13
Ryan Dennehy
I don't think anyone needs to be "woken up" from anything. This is a solid pop rock record with R&B influences and it has some real gems.
08:34 AM on 09/03/13
wanielledalsh
https://twitter.com/WanielleDalsh
User Info.
Great review. It's crazy this is a debut album.
08:44 AM on 09/03/13
smowashere
I am Groot.
User Info.
Said it before, will say it again: One of the best albums--if not THE best--of this year!
08:45 AM on 09/03/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Good review, Ryan. I still think this record could have been a bit shorter, but that's a small complaint. Only song I would definitely trim would be "M.O.N.E.Y." I also like the interludes, but think the record would do just fine without most of them.

That said, there are some really, really great songs here. I'm partial to "Robbers," "Sex," and "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch Over You." The latter gives me a "Beth/Rest" vibe, not just in atmosphere, but also in how it's a complete 180 from the rest of the songs on the disc.
Totally agree with your thoughts on "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch Over You"
09:21 AM on 09/03/13
mike_aaron
I sing.
User Info.
Amazing review, Ryan. Just downloaded my pre-order. If mp3s could skip due to repetitive play, these would for me.
09:25 AM on 09/03/13
buk182
User Info.
Great album to smoke a couple bowls to.
09:29 AM on 09/03/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Great album to smoke a couple bowls to.
Haha you are not kidding. The production is awesome and it always feels like theres so much going on.
10:03 AM on 09/03/13
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
Yeah, I think that was the first place I saw it. Lame. Cold is better, haha.

I'm just gonna imagine it's cold, not cool.

Yeah, with "cool" instead of "cold" it changes from my favorite line of the song to one of my least favorites lines of the album. So hard to unhear though, once you know what the artist's intent was...

Seems like I'm the only one who found this record boring. The first half of the album is the same song repeated over and over, while in the second half there are a couple good tunes (like Girls or Settle Down), but nothing so stunning in my opinion.

This is bizarre to me. If anything, the first half is WAY more varied (do you honestly think "The 1975", "The City", "MONEY", "Chocolate", "Sex", and "Talk" all sound the same?!) than the second half, which has many songs with the same vibe/groove ("Settle Down", "Girls", "She Way Out", the second half of "Menswear", "Pressure"). I agree that I would've enjoyed more variety overall, but with the EPs to fill that void, I'm not too worried about it, because the songwriting and production are outstanding.
10:06 AM on 09/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, with "cool" instead of "cold" it changes from my favorite line of the song to one of my least favorites lines of the album. So hard to unhear though, once you know what the artist's intent was...

This is bizarre to me. If anything, the first half is WAY more varied (do you honestly think "The 1975", "The City", "MONEY", "Chocolate", "Sex", and "Talk" all sound the same?!) than the second half, which has many songs with the same vibe/groove ("Settle Down", "Girls", "She Way Out", the second half of "Menswear", "Pressure"). I agree that I would've enjoyed more variety overall, but with the EPs to fill that void, I'm not too worried about it, because the songwriting and production are outstanding.
Good points, agree.
10:28 AM on 09/03/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Great review! Completely agree with everything you said

Album is golden. Trying to balance between listening to this, B&C and The Flatliners
10:37 AM on 09/03/13
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
god damn, some great guests here. keith buckley and vinnie? sign me up!
10:39 AM on 09/03/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
god damn, some great guests here. keith buckley and vinnie? sign me up!
Drew and Jason post a new one every Friday with a different guest
11:21 AM on 09/03/13
sweetforever
User Info.
I have a new favorite song everytime I listen to this but that closer damn

Great review
12:16 PM on 09/03/13
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Can't wait to get this thing. I'm late to the party, but, better late than never.
12:51 PM on 09/03/13
letsgoflyers
User Info.
Is this record out on vinyl yet? Amazon says Sept 24th, wasn't sure if that was just their release date or if it was across the board?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums