AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Human Parts - 09.03.13

Interviewed by
Human Parts - 09.03.13When ex-Against Me! bassist Andrew Seward parted ways with the band this past May, he said he needed to "focus on other things" and a few months later we're finally starting to understand the specifics. Last month he introduced the world to Human Parts and next week the band's self-titled debut will be released on September 10th. I was able to get on the phone with Andrew and learn a little bit more about his newest musical project:

How exactly did Human Parts come about?

It kind of came about, basically in my off time when I wasnít on tour, Iíd come home and try some songs on bass, do them to a click track for maybe some future use. It was never anything intended to be full time, but when I parted ways with Against Me! I kind of started working all day and when Iíd come home my whole goal was to not just become a sloth and play video games or stuff like that. I wanted to be a good father and partner and just be creative whenever I could. And thatís what I did, I just started focusing and using my spare time to record.

Iím guessing you wrote some of these songs awhile ago then?

Iíd say about 4 or 5 I wrote awhile ago and the other ones just started spilling out these last few months.

How would you compare recording with Against Me! and recording this record?

I wouldnít, itís complete apples and oranges. All of the records Iíve been part of previously there was time allotted to do it and thatís good. I wish I could have done that, but this record just wasnít done that way. It was recorded when I could, when I wasnít at work, in my house. I have a small child too so Iím not going to be banging the drums when sheís building forts or something like that. Basically my family would run errands or go grocery shopping and Iíd have all my mics set up on the drums and go for as many good drum takes as I could while they were at the grocery store. Very unconventional.

And I understand some members of your family are actually in the band as well?

Yeah, my wife and some family friends. Andy Pants and Kim Helm, who also have a child together.

Is that your daughter also singing on ďCliff and Eli"?

Thatís her voice, itís kind of bleeding into some of the tracks too, I couldnít, I didnít even try to take it out. Recording the vocals and stuff like that Iíd close the door and her and my dog, theyíd basically be knocking or pounding at the door. Thatís just kind of how it came about.

Whatís your favourite track and why?

Iíd probably say the third track, which is called ďNow We Wake Up.Ē I think itís my favourite because it was the easiest to write, the easiest to record. Thereís something about the looseness of the song, it just kind of is what it is and itís completely autobiographical. I guess it's kind of lazy, but it was the easiest one to do and thatís why itís my favourite.

What exactly do you mean by autobiographical? Just the sentiment of loving your life at home?

Yeah. There are lines in the song, like talking about a house on a dead end street. And ďMy home is a fortress, a castle I call my own.Ē Iím just actually talking about my house, I really do live on a dead end street and stuff like that. Itís very honest, it is what it is, thatís how it came out.

Whatís next for Human Parts?

Weíre playing the Fest, whatís next is me stuffing all these records and taking them to No Idea. I mean, this is very much, this is just me being creative and itís something I want to do. Iím just putting out the record myself with my buddy, another Andrew in Australiaís putting it out and Iím so happy heís doing it. This is all myself, my wife and my friends, weíve probably stuffed 50 records and weíre probably going to get together tomorrow morning to stuff the other 500 records. Everything is small run, everything is hand numbered, itís just about being creative and not being sloth-like.

So something youíre doing for fun on the side, as opposed to playing for a living like you were before?

Absolutely yeah. Aside from taking care of my family, I run a corner store in downtown Gainesville now and I work there over 40 hours a week so itís definitely like. I donít want to call it a side project because that makes it sound not important. Itís just something weíre doing when we can, but if this could be something we could do all the time weíd go for it. Though weíre also realistic and weíre not a bunch of young kids anymore. Weíre people in our 30s who just love making music and playing together so it just is what it is.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests