Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Justin Vernon on Future of Bon Iver

Posted by: Drew Beringer (09/03/13)
Don't expect Justin Vernon to write another Bon Iver record anytime soon. He recently told TripleJ that he doesn't "really write songs anymore." Vernon's other project, Volcano Choir, released its new album, Repave, today.
"I don't really write songs anymore," he said. "The last Bon Iver record was a very 'sitting down with a guitar and writing' kind of record. I really have to be in a specific headspace to even begin to illuminate an idea that would create another Bon Iver record, and I'm just not there. I'm really honoured that Bon Iver gives me a platform to do whatever I want, but there's only so much time you can spend digging through yourself before you become insular. I'm not in a hurry to go back to that temperature. All of the music I've been making shifting away from Bon Iver feels really good ... so if I ever do go back to Bon Iver it will be all the better for it."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41.
08:57 AM on 09/03/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I'm ok with that. Glad he wants to make sure Bon Iver records actually come organically instead of forcing himself to write something or releasing an album that is crazy unrelated just to maintain the success he gained with the name.
09:00 AM on 09/03/13
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
He's been saying that for awhile. It's a bummer sure, but I'd rather he take his time with it if he ever does make another record.
09:08 AM on 09/03/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Considering he's in several bands and Volcano Choir is a really nice extension of Justin's sound, this isn't a huge loss right now. Better he channel himself through many different means than force a Bon Iver album out of a feeling of needing to please fans.
09:14 AM on 09/03/13
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
Couple songs into Repave and I'm loving it. Glad he's doing what he wants.
09:14 AM on 09/03/13
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
He said that after Emma, and multiple times since the last one.

Makes sense.

And Volcano Choir's new album is GLORIOUS, so I'm good for now.
09:25 AM on 09/03/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Sad. Excited to check out the VC record this week
09:39 AM on 09/03/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.

It's not that he doesn't want to write another album.. it's just he can't stay awake long enough to write one
09:39 AM on 09/03/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
It's interesting that some artists such as like Conor Oberst and Evan Weiss can just spit out so much material, then other artists like Justin Vernon have to tap a specific vibe before they are even ready to write.

Art is amazing.
09:41 AM on 09/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Who cares? Repave is just as good if not better than BI imo. That's not a typo. The record is very very good.

His Pitchfork review is really good too. He's a really funny dude.
09:42 AM on 09/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It's interesting that some artists such as like Conor Oberst and Evan Weiss can just spit out so much material, then other artists like Justin Vernon have to tap a specific vibe before they are even ready to write.

Art is amazing.

He makes a lot of music not as Bon Iver so yeah
09:46 AM on 09/03/13
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
I don't mind waiting. Would rather another great record than a middle of the road one.
10:01 AM on 09/03/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
He makes a lot of music not as Bon Iver so yeah
Fair enough... It just feels like the other 2 have way more going on all the time.
10:05 AM on 09/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Fair enough... It just feels like the other 2 have way more going on all the time.

Not trying to argue...but Justin just toured with Shouting Matches and did festivals and will now be touring and releasing a brand new album with Volcano Choir. He was on Yeezus etc etc. The dude is busy.
10:22 AM on 09/03/13
OldSchoolReason
User Info.

It's not that he doesn't want to write another album.. it's just he can't stay awake long enough to write one
Came in here to say something similar.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests