Password

Album Review
Signal the Escape - All That You Deserve Album Cover

Signal the Escape - All That You Deserve

Reviewed by
Signal the Escape - All That You Deserve
Record Label: Double Blind Music
Release Date: June 24, 2008
In today's scene, it seems like people instantly throw out any band that has a similar or "generic" sound. In some cases, this is true; many bands simply try to copy other bands and fail miserably at it. However, a generic sound isn't always bad, as is true with Connecticut's own Signal the Escape.

Signal the Escape previously released an EP titled These Scars Are Just The Beginning, which came across as a kind of a teaser for their full-length All That You Deserve. It contained 4 of the 11 tracks from the new album, one remixed song, and the same artwork as the full-length. This EP contained most of the better songs from the new album, such as "Boys Lie" and "Exorcism in the ER."

As stated before, Signal the Escape isn't anything spectacularly new or creative. They dabble in the same musical stylings such as Story of the Year, Senses Fail, and The Wedding. Some of their songs are poppier, and some of them lean more towards the post-hardcore influences, but none of them make this band's style stand out from the hundreds of other bands copying these same formulas. However, it's not all bad. As far as this strain of bands goes, Signal the Escape is definitely on the better side of the median. Their melodies contain some post-hardcore screams, some heavier instrumental work in places, but still contain the pop elements that keep me coming back for more. The choruses are catchy, the hooks are well-placed, and their melodies keep me entertained throughout each song.

One of the things that manages to separate Signal the Escape from their contemporaries is their lyrical abilities. Most bands of this genre end up writing lyrics that simply fall flat on their face. They have no originality, and end up reverting to "emo" lyrics to convey any emotions at all. You may still find some of these "emo" influences in Signal the Escapes writing, but most of the lyrical work is far above average. From "Boys Lie," here's an example: "You are so cunning / It's disgusting the way your words fall from your lips / Insidious and innocence / I've got a plan to set this straight / It's called "two can play this game" / You're not the only one who lies." Without resorting to the emo drawl of most "cheating girlfriend" songs, Signal the Escape crafted intelligent and catchy lyrics. In "Borderline Stalker" Signal the Escape approaches the aspect of young love with the lines "Are you obsessed with me like I'm obsessed with you? / If it's not love, then what are we but two dumb kids who cannot breathe without each other? / This is borderline stalker." Lyrics like this show the band in it's top form; catchy but intelligent, their lyrics can captivate listeners from either of this band's infused genres. I've come not to expect much in terms of musicianship from most bands like Signal the Escape, but in this case I was pleasantly surprised. While you may not find guitar solo's or crazy drum work, they keep the music flowing well, and all of their members seem fairly talented at their corresponding instruments.

Each song on this album is good in its own right. The first song on the album entitled "Borderline Stalker" is my favorite from the entire CD. It displays their post-hardcore influences better than any other song off the album, and perfectly blends the post-hardcore screams with the pop hooks. The single "Maudlin" is one of the better songs, with a mainly pop styling up untill the end, where the band introduces a few sparse screams. This song does the best job of showing Signal the Escapes pop flair. "Burn With Me" is a rather impressive song, even though it does sport the "emo-est" lyrics of any of their songs the vocals and melody of this track stands out amongst the other songs from the album. The chorus viciously catchy, and the lyrics are "emo" but entertaining.

Overall, Signal the Escape isn't reinventing the wheel in any way. However, they do write entertaining and catchy post-hardcore-infused pop, and they do it very well. This band has enormous potential, and the songs they write, given the opportunity, could become huge. Signal the Escape has created a very accessible album that can be appreciated from fans of multiple genres. If they continue writing songs of this caliber, there is no reason why Signal the Escape can't be considered a legit band. Besides, my wheels seem to work just fine already.

Recommended if You LikeKids in the Way, Story of the Year, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Senses Fail, Karate High School

myspace.com/signaltheescape
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:15 PM on 06/13/08
xBITCHxPLEASEx
4PP. REPRESENT!
User Info.
Great review. Not really a fan of the band, but now I need to check them out. ^^
09:19 PM on 06/13/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Thank you to whoever corrected the album art. I believe i had the art to their EP because i couldn't find the one for this.
02:10 AM on 06/14/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Thank you to whoever corrected the album art. I believe i had the art to their EP because i couldn't find the one for this.
No problem. Found it in their webstore although there isn't much info on this album out there at all - even on their own MySpace.
07:26 AM on 06/14/08
Klatzke
User Info.
No problem. Found it in their webstore although there isn't much info on this album out there at all - even on their own MySpace.
I noticed. For some reason they still have information about their EP up on their myspace, purevolume, and their own website. . . When i first recieved the album i was really confused.
05:43 PM on 06/16/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I'd like to know who the asshole/idiot was that went through and rated everything like .25, .5 and so on, without even posting a comment.
10:28 PM on 06/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Somebody with too much time on their hands apparently.
02:30 PM on 06/25/08
NortyCore
User Info.
i have been following STE for the past couple years and i must say, this release is a release that many people have been waiting ever so patiently to hear. its glad to see they have finally released it and i must say, they did a damn good job on their debut full length. great stuff guys.
04:44 PM on 06/25/08
kristanxmarie
so this is progress...
User Info.
the album definitely didn't disappoint. borderline stalker has been my favorite song by STE since the first time i heard it, but i am loving every single song on this album.
04:30 AM on 06/26/08
unkphotodotcom
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band, great album...they deserve much more than they have right now...
07:55 AM on 06/26/08
Klatzke
User Info.
great band, great album...they deserve much more than they have right now...
Its true, with the right label and exposure they could be in huge, imo.
03:29 PM on 06/27/08
Barto1127
The Man
User Info.
I've been waiting for a release by them for a while...and now I'm kind of over them. They had some solid songs on their EP, so I'll check out this one too.
08:24 PM on 06/27/08
After Hours
and Monday, too
User Info.
I'm checking this band out for the first time, and your review seems to sum it up. Their music doesn't jump out at me, but it isn't too bad.
01:57 PM on 09/14/08
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
This review is not bad though I feel like you missed out on some important factors like the crappy production and mediocre screaming. I also felt like you overrated their lyrics which are extremely emo in every single song. Even the quoted lyrics from "Boys Lie" was extremely emo. I was also disappointed that you did not touch on any (but one) of the songs that were new to the albm from the EP. You may as well have been reviewing just the EP if it weren't for those two sentences about "Burn with Me."

I respect your opinion on this album but diagree with it. I find it very uncreative and badly produced. This band really furthers the emo stereotype by not straying from the same themes and sounds that many other artists labelled as emo have established. I want some evolution form this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos