AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Tour Dates News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Tour Dates
Inside AP.net

Riot Fest 2013: Forming One of the Greatest Festival...

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (09/06/13)
PropertyOfZack has posted a new Perspective on how Riot Fest and co-founder Mike Petryshyn went about creating their Chicago lineup. POZ is calling it the "best festival lineup we'll ever see," so you can go ahead and debate that in the replies. Also, tickets are on the Riot website and all of our Riot Fest 2013 coverage is here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
12:11 PM on 09/06/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Can a blink fanboy get some set times.
12:13 PM on 09/06/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Little hyperbolic given Woodstock and Lollapalooza lineups over the years.
12:15 PM on 09/06/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Little hyperbolic given Woodstock and Lollapalooza lineups over the years.

Agreed. Even within our scene some of the earlier warped tours were stacked as well as incredible Others. This looks good ( or better) because of the hole left by bamboozle in my opinion.
12:17 PM on 09/06/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
"best festival line up we'll ever see" what a joke haha i mean its a good line up but good lord

maybe if this is the only kind of music you listen to ever....yeah sure
12:23 PM on 09/06/13
Fourchordwonder
This whole thing was unstoppable
User Info.
Tentatively planning on going to the Sunday date, but I'm sort of holding out for set times just to buy my ticket to make sure I won't have too many conflicts.
12:25 PM on 09/06/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
"best festival line up we'll ever see" what a joke haha i mean its a good line up but good lord

For me , it's basically a dream line-up. That being said, I still am not going. Idk, but I just can't do fests anymore. Or muster up the funds to drop on a day trip with food, travel expenses, and ticket fees.
12:26 PM on 09/06/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Lollapalooza, Pitchfork, and Made In America all have better lineups, and that's just talking about this year. Still good lineup though.
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.

Most people I've spoken to in our scene, who also enjoy different kinds of music, have said this is the best lineup they've ever seen and will be attending. So, clearly not a one-person thought process.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

i don't really think it's a joke, or a stretch if you like punk music, this lineup spans decades....i don't agree with the statement personally but you should make examples instead of just deriding it
12:28 PM on 09/06/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Lollapalooza, Pitchfork, and Made In America all have better lineups, and that's just talking about this year. Still good lineup though.
i disagree especially with lolla because more than half of the acts on lolla are just this year's festival circuit artists...they do all the major ones. the thing i like most about riot is that it dips its hand into the mainstream while pulling out bands that you won't get to see very often in general
12:32 PM on 09/06/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
i disagree especially with lolla because more than half of the acts on lolla are just this year's festival circuit artists...they do all the major ones. the thing i like most about riot is that it dips its hand into the mainstream while pulling out bands that you won't get to see very often in general
I guess I'm saying this as someone who has never left Texas for a festival and also has the convenience of Texas festivals, but what makes it bad that a lot of these big festivals share similar acts? It's good knowing I don't have to go to Lolla to see certain acts because they'll be at Austin City Limits. I missed seeing Refused and ATDI at Coachella to catch Refused at Fun Fun Fun Fest. The whole "general festival act" thing doesn't bother me just because it increases the chance I'll actually get to see them.

I get what you're saying though. The purpose of a festival is to bring variety and a strong lineup, and having acts that every other festival has kinda takes away what makes it special in a way. It just doesn't bother me much so in my opinion those festivals are still better than the Riot Fest lineup.
12:35 PM on 09/06/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I guess I'm saying this as someone who has never left Texas for a festival and also has the convenience of Texas festivals, but what makes it bad that a lot of these big festivals share similar acts? It's good knowing I don't have to go to Lolla to see certain acts because they'll be at Austin City Limits. I missed seeing Refused and ATDI at Coachella to catch Refused at Fun Fun Fun Fest. The whole "general festival act" thing doesn't bother me just because it increases the chance I'll actually get to see them.

I get what you're saying though. The purpose of a festival is to bring variety and a strong lineup, and having acts that every other festival has kinda takes away what makes it special in a way. It just doesn't bother me much so in my opinion those festivals are still better than the Riot Fest lineup.
i never said it was a bad thing – my point is more along the lines of it slightly diluting the lineup in terms of making it "great" in a lasting value sense
12:42 PM on 09/06/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Did I miss talk of an ap meetup? My friends and family bought tickets for the after shows and I didn't not. Anybody wanna get some drinks with a nice little Texan boy after the fest friday and Saturday? I'll be by myself, which is no fun.
12:43 PM on 09/06/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
p4k lineup was insane. much better than riot fest, hence why i went to p4k over riot fest
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests