AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
07:17 AM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
I don't like this record really. It all runs together, even with Jon's voice at its best.

I also do not understand this sentiment at all:
Quote:
While electronic music and radio pop find themselves embedded, fixed in the permanent present...rock and roll knows no hour. It’s as limitless and boundless as anything in this world can be, and The Things We Think We’re Missing illuminates that beautifully.

Other than that, the review was a good read and I understand the emotions you have about the record and how to write about it, even if I don't share them.
08:40 AM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
what about it don't you understand? i would happily explain what i mean.

It isn't at all a shot toward the limitations of the music – but in terms of lyricism, rock and roll songs tell stories that live on forever, hence the extreme lasting value of musicians like The Beatles or Bruce Springsteen or even the countless artists that influenced them. This happens in blues, soul, etc., too. Dance music, electronic music and to a lesser extent, radio pop, are much more likely to have lyricism that throws away a timelessness in exchange for a "live in the moment" type freedom. Absolutely not a bad thing – obviously there is a place for that. I think it's pretty well noted that the cultures of these genres are different, and I'm not at all saying that I made some sort of big revelation there, but that's what I was going for in that closing paragraph.

Simmons is no Springsteen or Dylan. I think you're unfairly lumping dance and pop in together, and ignoring the universality of the lyrical content. There's a very good reason songs about fun and dancing and love have always topped the charts.
02:20 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
i thought that ditching the percentage idea of a scale was the whole reason we switched from it lol
03:08 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
Thomas, I think the reason that line grabbed my attention is that it seemed pretty incongruous with the rest of the review. I still don't understand why it was included, and your defense of it is, as Jake says, off base.
03:17 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
Comment about Kanye West album sales and scores to make Jake, Ryan, and Pat mad.
Please shut up.
A few people are making it seem as though I was taking some short of a jab at the genre, and that was somehow the point of the review...when I was just drawing a comparison – a comparison which exists – in a paragraph that concluded "It’s as limitless and boundless as anything in this world can be, and The Things We Think We’re Missing illuminates that beautifully."
I understand what you're trying to convey, but the comparison seems derogatory. I know you appreciate those genres, so I'm not trying to question that, but I was just really confused by the idea that they lack something that rock and roll has. I dunno, I get not wanting the review thread to become this and it's what I wanted to avoid when I saw it coming, but it just seems like you could have omitted the comparison altogether and just left it at "rock and roll does this and ttwtwm illuminates it beautifully" or whatever. I dunno, you know I like your writing and I liked the review. I'm sorry this became a thing haha.
Why do you work for AbsolutePunk? (Real question)

You are so far out of line it is not even fucking believable.
03:22 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
this is mine

this shit always gives me a weird "who is looking over my back" type feeling. i started working on this review on august 24.
This happens to me way too often. Even when the same ideas about records are approached in a different way I get that feeling - Pitchfork's review of TWIABP seriously made me think Ian Cohen lifted some ideas from my Sanctuary one before I realized how insane that was.
04:14 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
I regret mentioning it at all.
02:49 PM on 09/10/13
Ryan Dennehy
I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. Your third point here is the point I was making.
are you surprised

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version