Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts
02:57 AM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
So I thought the first album was just okay, and didn't have much staying power outside of a few tracks (Tore You Apart, Echo, Patience). I'm not sure if I should pick it up without listening first...
03:01 AM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
I want to backtrack on the word "positive", its really the hyperbole bothers me. BUT, if hes only writing 6-8 reviews a year, why is he getting the "high profile" reviews? i know a lot of people (including myself) that want to hear this record, and these reviews are the ones going into metacritic and the like. so why isint a more experienced reviewer (like yourself) taking the lead on these? i get that hes passionate about what he writes, i wouldn't expect an unpaid contributor to write about crap he dosent want to listen to, but it seems strange that someone who takes only 6-8 reviews a year to write the only staff review about the most anticipated records of the year (including Generation). I get everyone has their biases (i dont think ill ever read a negative ETID review from drew, even if they did a faithful Katy Perry cover album) but some times it feels too much.

i love this site, been my #1 source for years, but when i see you guys in all the major review places, i just wish the reviews were taken more seriously.

EDIT: And how can you call TGG a N/A score? He would that record a 12 if he could of. Its my favorite album this year by far, but come on, i get when he did that with Ocean Avenue, but to do that for TGG is nonsense.
This site has generally reviewed albums more positively than most other places for as long as I can remember (I started visiting in '07). Just accept that on here a 50% is basically a big failure, 75%-80% is average and anything higher is good. Don't worry about how the reviews compare to other sites.
04:21 PM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
wrong. 50% being terrible and 75-80 being average is not the scale i use.
If you all use different scales with your reviews that's an issue haha. People understand reviews are one person's opinion, but a consistent rating scale across the website would be beneficial.

When everyone used the percentages back in the day 50% was about as bad as it could get, because even if a reviewer didn't like a record, they couldn't pretend all aspects of it were bad. Their overall impression of a record (the 'tilt') was only one small part of the final score. A band with great musicianship, a great singer and great production would instantly deserve a 9/10 inthose categories even if the songwriting and lyrics were horrible.
09:12 PM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Its not a problem, or it shouldn't be. People will have different scales no matter what. Let them. They have the freedom to do so. It wouldnt be so confusing or bothersome if you paid more attention to the review than the score.
1. Yeah I was going to include that people should just read the reviews rather than worry about the score, but thought I'd keep it brief.
2. I do still think if a site is going to score records, it should have a standard way of doing it so it is fair to all artists and consistent. Reviews can be different opinions of course but no good one person saying my record sucks and giving it 5/10 then another person saying your record is good not great and giving it a 6/10.
3. I posted that before I realised Jenkins had been having a long argument and, upon reading the prior comments, immediately regretted fuelling any more pointless discussion!
09:16 PM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
mannnn is everyone gonna come in here now and be like "wow this thread sucks" im really sorry about this fuck i legitimately feel bad
To be fair, you entered one of my threads recently and said it sucked or was "terrible". It probably was terrible, but don't get defensive when others say a thread sucks elsewhere.
10:30 PM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
huh? im not being defensive?
Saying you're sorry and you legitimatey feel bad in a sarcastic way? If not defensive, it certainly seemed like you were solely taking the blame for people saying the thread sucks and being agitated about that.

All I was saying is: don't get mad about people saying a thread sucks when you do it too.
12:00 AM on 09/10/13
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
dude, i wasn't being sarcastic. im not sure what made you think i was?
"im really sorry about this fuck i legitimately feel bad". Sorry if I misinterpreted it, I guess sarcasm never translates to the written word well. But I'd guess a lot of people felt that was meant as sarcasm and you did not actually feel bad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos