Username
Password

Album Review - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 219.
08:08 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Agreed, electronic music is just as diverse as rock, if not, far far more. The possibilities in electronic music are seemingly endless.
Yeah don't understand that part at all.
It isn't at all a shot toward the limitations of the music – but in terms of lyricism, rock and roll songs tell stories that live on forever, hence the extreme lasting value of musicians like The Beatles or Bruce Springsteen or even the countless artists that influenced them. This happens in blues, soul, etc., too. Dance music, electronic music and to a lesser extent, radio pop, are much more likely to have lyricism that throws away a timelessness in exchange for a "live in the moment" type freedom. Absolutely not a bad thing – obviously there is a place for that. I think it's pretty well noted that the cultures of these genres are different, and I'm not at all saying that I made some sort of big revelation there, but that's what I was going for in that closing paragraph.
08:22 AM on 09/09/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
It isn't at all a shot toward the limitations of the music – but in terms of lyricism, rock and roll songs tell stories that live on forever, hence the extreme lasting value of musicians like The Beatles or Bruce Springsteen or even the countless artists that influenced them. This happens in blues, soul, etc., too. Dance music, electronic music and to a lesser extent, radio pop, are much more likely to have lyricism that throws away a timelessness in exchange for a "live in the moment" type freedom. Absolutely not a bad thing – obviously there is a place for that. I think it's pretty well noted that the cultures of these genres are different, and I'm not at all saying that I made some sort of big revelation there, but that's what I was going for in that closing paragraph.
That's pretty dismissive as a whole, regardless of how you intended the sentiment, and I'd rather have the lyricism of a handful of electronic artists over the trite offerings here.
08:34 AM on 09/09/13
gwildungsroman
gwildungsroman.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm excited about this now, but I'm also interested to see how I feel about it in a couple of years. Hopefully this one will have more lasting value for me than Separation. I remember Thomas writing the reviews for Separation and Seahaven's Winter Forever, saying that Winter Forever was good but didn't stand up to Separation. I agreed entirely with that at the time, but two years on, I listen to Winter Forever all the way through quite a lot, whereas I skip through about half of Separation.
08:40 AM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
what about it don't you understand? i would happily explain what i mean.

Simmons is no Springsteen or Dylan. I think you're unfairly lumping dance and pop in together, and ignoring the universality of the lyrical content. There's a very good reason songs about fun and dancing and love have always topped the charts.
08:48 AM on 09/09/13
mynameisgeneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved Separation but it was rarely an album visited much after a few months. This album made me feel like Tell All Your Friends/Your Favorite Weapon/Deja Entendu did when I first heard it. Going to be a classic in my collection for years to come.
08:49 AM on 09/09/13
punkDbass
User Info.
Going to stream this later today. This review definitely has my hopes up for the new album; I was a bit worried they wouldnt be able to match Separation which is one of my all time favorite albums.
09:05 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
That's pretty dismissive as a whole, regardless of how you intended the sentiment, and I'd rather have the lyricism of a handful of electronic artists over the trite offerings here.
I don't think it's dismissive at all. I never said that "all dance music is about the present time" or "all rock music is timeless" you know? I'm not speaking in absolutes and therefore I'm not dismissing anything.

I'm pretty sure I explained myself fairly thoroughly and backed up my statement. If you were to pick out your favorite lyricism from electronic artists – I know you listened to so much of that music when we were roommates – I'm sure there would be plenty of lyrics that might be better than the ones on this album. There would probably be plenty of lyrics that explore timeless issues. Like I said, I was not dealing in any sort of absolute thought nor should that ever be assumed – in what genre is there literally only one type of thought, idea, tone or message?

I feel as though my general point of electronic music being more about "living in the moment" still stands strong, especially when you consider the amount of remixes / dance music made mainly for club settings....and the amount of such music that is created with no lyricism at all.
09:10 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Simmons is no Springsteen or Dylan. I think you're unfairly lumping dance and pop in together, and ignoring the universality of the lyrical content. There's a very good reason songs about fun and dancing and love have always topped the charts.
Certainly did not compare Simmons to either of those songwriters in my review. I used them to explain in more depth what the message meant. Like I said in my comment to Pat, "to a lesser extent, radio pop" ... also I am pretty sure I read an article last year about how "sad songs" were topping the singles charts ... trying to search for it now.
09:30 AM on 09/09/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
this album burnt all expectations i had to the ground and gave me something better
09:40 AM on 09/09/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I don't think it's dismissive at all. I never said that "all dance music is about the present time" or "all rock music is timeless" you know? I'm not speaking in absolutes and therefore I'm not dismissing anything.

I'm pretty sure I explained myself fairly thoroughly and backed up my statement. If you were to pick out your favorite lyricism from electronic artists – I know you listened to so much of that music when we were roommates –Β*I'm sure there would be plenty of lyrics that might be better than the ones on this album. There would probably be plenty of lyrics that explore timeless issues. Like I said, I was not dealing in any sort of absolute thought nor should that ever be assumed – in what genre is there literally only one type of thought, idea, tone or message?

I feel as though my general point of electronic music being more about "living in the moment" still stands strong, especially when you consider the amount of remixes / dance music made mainly for club settings....and the amount of such music that is created with no lyricism at all.
Lol you have absolutely no idea what I listened to when we were roommates considering I almost always listened to shit with headphones instead of blasting it through a stereo. Carry on with your assumptions though lol.
09:42 AM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
is thomas trying to say that lyrics are what make something timeless? because....
09:43 AM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
User Info.

you do not know enough about electronic music/dance music and its culture to make this statement.
09:48 AM on 09/09/13
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
this is good but yeah, ap.net always brings the hyperbole pretty hard on reviews. This one aint too bad though
09:51 AM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
This site has generally reviewed albums more positively than most other places for as long as I can remember (I started visiting in '07). Just accept that on here a 50% is basically a big failure, 75%-80% is average and anything higher is good. Don't worry about how the reviews compare to other sites.
wrong. 50% being terrible and 75-80 being average is not the scale i use.
09:53 AM on 09/09/13
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
The Things We Think We’re Missing leaves me – yes, me, a 22-year-old with a keyboard and reliable Internet connection – completely speechless.

Are you supposed to be less capable of being rendered speechless for some reason?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums