AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 219
03:11 PM on 09/09/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Comment about Kanye West album sales and scores to make Jake, Ryan, and Pat mad.
03:13 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
im done. thomas, you're right, electronic music isnt timeless and you know this based on the 0.00005% sample size of the genre you've actually spent time with.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
so you're not reviewing anymore, great why are you complaining and/or surprised that DISCUSSION ABOUT SOMETHING IN A REVIEW TAKES PLACE IN THE REVIEW THREAD??!??!?1?!??!?!

im fucking baffled right now
why are you so worked up about it? it's a bummer that one sentence – misconstrued by a couple of people – and talk of scoring strategies (gimme a break, 2011 wants its forum topics back) takes away from discussion about the album. i have a right to be bummed that the thread is more about those things than the record....
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
so you're not reviewing anymore, great why are you complaining and/or surprised that DISCUSSION ABOUT SOMETHING IN A REVIEW TAKES PLACE IN THE REVIEW THREAD??!??!?1?!??!?!

im fucking baffled right now
Why do you work for AbsolutePunk? (Real question)
03:14 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
because i like writing review for music that i like and AP gives me a platform to do so to a reader size that is bigger than it would be if i were to just have my own blog. ive been on this site for over 4 years and i love it and love contributing.

why would you ask me that question?
03:15 PM on 09/09/13
Fool
User Info.
There comes a time when people should just step away from the keyboard.
03:15 PM on 09/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
why are you so worked up about it? it's a bummer that one sentence – misconstrued by a couple of people – and talk of scoring strategies (gimme a break, 2011 wants its forum topics back) takes away from discussion about the album. i have a right to be bummed that the thread is more about those things than the record....
im trying to get you to see how stupid of a sentence it is. i didnt misconstrue it at all, i know exactly what you meant and you're off base. plain and simple. you can convince yourself you're right all you want - you arent.
03:17 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
Comment about Kanye West album sales and scores to make Jake, Ryan, and Pat mad.
Please shut up.
A few people are making it seem as though I was taking some short of a jab at the genre, and that was somehow the point of the review...when I was just drawing a comparison – a comparison which exists – in a paragraph that concluded "It’s as limitless and boundless as anything in this world can be, and The Things We Think We’re Missing illuminates that beautifully."
I understand what you're trying to convey, but the comparison seems derogatory. I know you appreciate those genres, so I'm not trying to question that, but I was just really confused by the idea that they lack something that rock and roll has. I dunno, I get not wanting the review thread to become this and it's what I wanted to avoid when I saw it coming, but it just seems like you could have omitted the comparison altogether and just left it at "rock and roll does this and ttwtwm illuminates it beautifully" or whatever. I dunno, you know I like your writing and I liked the review. I'm sorry this became a thing haha.

You are so far out of line it is not even fucking believable.
03:19 PM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
im trying to get you to see how stupid of a sentence it is. i didnt misconstrue it at all, i know exactly what you meant and you're off base. plain and simple. you can convince yourself you're right all you want - you arent.
I just googled a few things – the phrase "electronic dance present" led me to this new york times article. about electric zoo deaths. written a week ago. first time i've seen this:

Quote:
Electronic dance music is purposefully, single-mindedly life affirming, all about being alive in the moment, awash in sensation. Hip-hop, rock, R&B and, of course, the blues are well aware of struggle, sadness, mortality, memory and anticipation, as they tell stories and fill their song forms; electronic dance music takes place in an eternal present.

There, the visceral, body-shaking impact of deep bass, the hypnotic repetitiveness of the beat, the pealing purity or larger-than-life roughness of the electronic sounds, the lyrics about joy and letting go and feeling love, the dazzling and dizzying lights and the communal energy of a dance floor are all mechanisms for fully experiencing the here and now, kinetically and immediately. Mechanisms evolve — technology has given them a lot more flash and firepower in the digital era — but the aspiration they satisfy may well be hard-wired into our bodies. With or without MDMA, electronic dance music makes for joyful, sociable crowds pumping up the endorphins.

literally after 1 minute of googling. honestly kinda scary how similar my review is structured compared to that bolded part. especially considering that i wrote this review while listening to a 40-year-old springsteen record and i'm assuming that writer was thinking about 2 people dying of a drug-related death at an EDM festival.
03:21 PM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
this is mine

Quote:
Rock and roll music confronts struggle, life, death, love, loss, relationships of all types, situations real and imaginary. We listen and strongly relate to stories told through the eyes of characters we’ll never meet, filtered through the lens of someone’s mind which we’ll never fully understand. It’s a beautiful thing this music presents us with, the chance to explicitly escape reality while simultaneously being our best weapon to confront it. While electronic music and radio pop find themselves embedded, fixed in the permanent present...rock and roll knows no hour. It’s as limitless and boundless as anything in this world can be

this shit always gives me a weird "who is looking over my back" type feeling. i started working on this review on august 24.
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I just googled a few things – the phrase "electronic dance present" led me to this new york times article. about electric zoo deaths. written a week ago. first time i've seen this:

literally after 1 minute of googling. honestly kinda scary how similar my review is structured compared to that bolded part. especially considering that i wrote this review while listening to a 40-year-old springsteen record and i'm assuming that writer was thinking about 2 people dying of a drug-related death at an EDM festival.
the scene of electronic that festival caters to is not encompassing of all electronic dance music and is for the most part a very very very bad representation of it. but im glad you know how to use google.

im getting too heated right now and its unnecessary and im sorry for derailing your thread. if you want to discuss this further let me know and we can take it to private messages.
chrislauren
laa-dispute.tumblr.com
User Info.
Is it really this serious? jesus christ.
03:22 PM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
this is mine

this shit always gives me a weird "who is looking over my back" type feeling. i started working on this review on august 24.
This happens to me way too often. Even when the same ideas about records are approached in a different way I get that feeling - Pitchfork's review of TWIABP seriously made me think Ian Cohen lifted some ideas from my Sanctuary one before I realized how insane that was.
03:24 PM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
the scene of electronic that festival caters to is not encompassing of all electronic dance music and is for the most part a very very very bad representation of it. but im glad you know how to use google.

im getting too heated right now and its unnecessary and im sorry for derailing your thread. if you want to discuss this further let me know and we can take it to private messages.
I don't think it's dismissive at all. I never said that "all dance music is about the present time" or "all rock music is timeless" you know? I'm not speaking in absolutes and therefore I'm not dismissing anything.
03:25 PM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
This happens to me way too often. Even when the same ideas about records are approached in a different way I get that feeling - Pitchfork's review of TWIABP seriously made me think Ian Cohen lifted some ideas from my Sanctuary one before I realized how insane that was.
i just got a mental image of a team of pitchfork writers scouring sanctuary and muzik discovery and every other tiny blog for new music. hahahhaa

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos