AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Time Low News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
All Time Low
Inside AP.net

Hopeless Records Offering "Limited" All...

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (09/11/13)
Apparently the CD version of All Time Low's Don't Panic: It's Longer Now are limited to "only" 15,000 units. It may seem like a lot, but consider the fact that this band has multiple top-10 debuts in the sales charts. They've sold well over 1 million albums and 4 million singles worldwide. Hit the replies to discuss if you think this a sign of a future marketing strategy. Will bigger labels start limiting CD quantities to raise the incentive to buy them? Is this the "vinylification" of the CD?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 77
12:40 PM on 09/11/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I have talked to Eric at Hopeless about this before a few times. I think it's a terrific idea to make CDs more limited, especially since Hopeless amounts to a "mid-major" record label (if you think in college football terms). They have some high-charting bands and some smaller bands. This is a way to avoid pressing a huge amount of physical product in a time where CD sales – not vinyl sales – continue to decrease.

It also makes the CD appear more valuable, which makes it at least somewhat enticing for the generation that's buying vinyl now.

Is this the way we'll see CDs slowly phased out of the marketplace? All Time Low is Hopeless' biggest band, so trying this with them first is interesting.
12:42 PM on 09/11/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I'm also really interested in how much goes to preorders and how much they take out on tour.
12:43 PM on 09/11/13
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
It makes sense for this particular CD since everyone has already bought Don't Panic, including myself. They need some way for people to buy it and since it seems to be a "unique" item, it will create a "need" to have it, even if people have the original CD.
12:44 PM on 09/11/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
It makes sense for this particular CD since everyone has already bought Don't Panic, including myself. They need some way for people to buy it and since it seems to be a "unique" item, it will create a "need" to have it, even if people have the original CD.
this is a good point
12:50 PM on 09/11/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Smart move on their part.
12:51 PM on 09/11/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
People don't display CDs the way they display vinyl, so I don't see this having the same collection appeal. Shortened supply will increase demand, but it only will work for a select few bands where you can accurately closely-predict demand.

There's a higher precieved value of rare vinyl than digital plastic. I'll be curious to watch aftermarket sales of these, if they sell out.
12:54 PM on 09/11/13
anamericangod
User Info.
It won't make a difference, at least in this case. The people that care enough to purchase a physical copy of a deluxe edition are going to do so regardless of how limited it is. This album having a re-release is sort of weird to begin with. Did it not sell as well as they had expected?
12:54 PM on 09/11/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I have talked to Eric at Hopeless about this before a few times. I think it's a terrific idea to make CDs more limited, especially since Hopeless amounts to a "mid-major" record label (if you think in college football terms). They have some high-charting bands and some smaller bands. This is a way to avoid pressing a huge amount of physical product in a time where CD sales – not vinyl sales – continue to decrease.

It also makes the CD appear more valuable, which makes it at least somewhat enticing for the generation that's buying vinyl now.

Is this the way we'll see CDs slowly phased out of the marketplace? All Time Low is Hopeless' biggest band, so trying this with them first is interesting.

Limited creates urgency and demand - its basic marketing. You buy it because you respond more to the negative emotion - the fear of not being able to own one in the future, not because of the positive emotion of owning a limited copy. Regret is powerful in sales and it usually works with anything in the music scene - vinyl, prints, t-shirts, small venue shows (you may not like a band THAT much, but you don't wanna miss the chance to see them in a small venue and kick yourself when you see them at a large venue and like them a bit more - that is more potent than being extremely excited because die hards will often buy regardless and the goal of campaigns like that is to increase the reach of the product not in terms of how many people CAN buy it, but in terms of increasing the positive decision of buying instead of not buying therefore creating increasing the speed in which this sells out.

I have had 12 shots of espresso and you just gave me an example for my thesis for a paper I have to write. Word.
12:56 PM on 09/11/13
caraballo
Gnarkill
User Info.
Must pick this up since I don't have a physical of the original!
12:56 PM on 09/11/13
esposimi
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail45
User Info.
At this rate maybe we should bring back cassette tapes! I hate how people actually prefer vinyl over CD. Much easier to store them and why would you want to play something in a record player only to have it deteriorate over time!

Such a stupid move.
12:57 PM on 09/11/13
anamericangod
User Info.
At this rate maybe we should bring back cassette tapes! I hate how people actually prefer vinyl over CD. Much easier to store them and why would you want to play something in a record player only to have it deteriorate over time!

Such a stupid move.
Cassettes have been making a comeback.

I hope the rest of this post is sarcasm. If not...lol.
HopelessIan
User Info.
We thought it would be interesting to try this limited idea out. I know 15,000 seems like a lot but we expect to be sold out of them by 2 weeks after street date. Also keep in mind this is a worldwide number and the band has huge followings in the UK/Europe, Southeast Asia, and Australia
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
The band sucks so bad and is so broke that they can't afford to make any more!
01:00 PM on 09/11/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
This is more stupid than limited lp releases.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums