Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
07:13 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
.....uh oh
First Butch album being Letters after downloading Mixtape?
Eagerly anticipating Rise and Fall as your first new Butch release?
Pumped to get the album a couple days before release?
Attending that unbearably hot Detroit concert?
....you and me may actually be the same person....

One exception though, this is far from overlooked with the people I know, it actually tends to be one of the favorites. Until the release of The Spade it was usually my go to for a rocking Butch record (even if it quiets down a bit as it goes). Canyons is still one of my most favorite tracks

But on a more important note, boy was that concert hot. When he came blasting out on stage and had the bartenders shoot water out over the audience was the only relief that whole night. Good show, but you could tell he was a bit over heated up there, and who could blame him (also opener As Fast As was fantastic and Spencer Albee is great in everything he does). Next time he came through I saw him in Grand Rapids instead, that's pretty much been my gold standard for Butch shows (although for the Spade tour I saw him in Ft. Lauderdale, and that at least tied if not surpassed it). What's everyone else's favorite Butch show?
Haha, that's awesome. That concert almost killed me. And there were still dumbasses chain smoking cigarettes so the temperature could climb a bit higher. I don't think I've ever smelled worse than I did coming out of that venue. But damn, The Rise and Fall material was so great live, and I think that's the best "piano time" I've ever seen. "Joan" was stunning that night, and I don't think he's played "Dominoes" since that tour, but something about the heat made those songs that much more great. Somehow got everyone to shut up for a few songs.

As Fast As remains the best opener I've ever seen. I never really got into their independent records, but Open Letter is a favorite of mine. I remember searching for months for a recording of the ukelele cover of "Creep," but I never found it.

My brother and I have done Detroit and Grand Rapids on back to back nights a few times. He hasn't come to GR in awhile though. Is the Mixtape Cafe still open?
07:34 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Hmmmm, not sure . I was there when Butch played for its opening, but I don't think I've heard anything of it since.(If I google it though lots of stuff comes up, probably a good sign) Grand Rapids was a bit of a drive for me, so I tended to avoid it if I could hit a show somewhere else
I saw him twice at the Mixtape, once on the Sycamore tour and once on the I Liked You Better... stint. He only played Detroit for The Spade, and it looks like the same for this tour.
09:41 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'll never understand why this album gets no love from most BW fans. The energetic first half is a ton of fun and the back half segues right into his next album. Maybe it's too unbalanced for people. The back half of the album isn't quite as energetic, but provides foreshadowing for where he was aiming to go the next couple records.

Good write-up -- you hit the nail on the head and hope you inspire more people to give this a better listen.
I think I actually like the back half more, as much fun as the more energetic parts are. Butch doing country and folk music was such a huge revelation to me at the time, and I'm so glad he's continued exploring that part of his sound. Probably my favorite thing about Peachtree Battle is how folky is is.

Thanks for reading! I'll be interested to see what people say about this one. Letters is pretty much an automatic home run for everyone who likes Butch at all, but I think reactions to this one are far more varied.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos